Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:46 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I created a post on CD about if a sports title in Cleveland would change the perception of the city. Now, the Cleveland Cavaliers are NBA Champions and LeBron came back home to win one for The Land and he kept his promise. The 52 year drought came to end on Sunday, June 19, and that is a moment I will remember for the rest of my life as well as many Cavs fans. Now, since the Cavs have brought that long-awaited title to the city, has the perception of CLE changed among Clevelanders and non-Clevelanders? Has the attitudes of the city changed or is everything the same? I wanna hear thoughts and opinions from Clevelanders, non-Clevelanders and Cleveland ex-pats and transplants.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:03 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
Definitely much more positive vibes all around in NEO.

I can tell you I was traveling for work in Seattle, and wore a Cleveland shirt one night. I received multiple people stopping me and saying something positive about the Cavs and/or the city.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Relatively new Cleveland transplant here. I never really had a bad opinion of Cleveland before I moved here from Portland, OR but many people I knew in Portland did. They are typical though I think of those who are so xenophobic about their city they can't find anything good about any others.

Lots of nice people I know from other cities are praising Cleveland now and want to come visit. People I talk to who have lived in Cleveland for a long time are very proud of their city these days.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:07 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,027 times
haha, no offense, but how would a basketball team barely eeking out a win over a team that is fast becoming one of the hated in pro sports make the city somehow better?

I enjoy Cleveland for what it is when I visit but I don't see it any different now; I'm a white single dude who can go in the cool areas without getting beaten by cops.

If anything, watching the second game in Cleveland and the violent anger of bar patrons during the second half reminds me of why pro sports aren't in my wheelhouse as a social being.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:44 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
haha, no offense, but how would a basketball team barely eeking out a win over a team that is fast becoming one of the hated in pro sports make the city somehow better?

I enjoy Cleveland for what it is when I visit but I don't see it any different now; I'm a white single dude who can go in the cool areas without getting beaten by cops.

If anything, watching the second game in Cleveland and the violent anger of bar patrons during the second half reminds me of why pro sports aren't in my wheelhouse as a social being.
So... You what is your point? I see nothing of value or any great insight here.

And you're from Maine.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:00 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

And you're from Maine.
His point is the city is still the same Cleveland as before, both good or bad. And he's from Maine because his opinion was solicited as a non-Clevelander. At least he actually visits the city, unlike most.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:35 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

And you're from Maine.
I'm not sure what the obsession with location is for people on city-data. It should be an interest in content - not location.

I can easily lie about my location. Actually, I don't live in Maine anymore. I just logged into this account a few days ago for the first time in a couple years. I'm thinking I might leave it at "Maine" just to see how many people like starting their comments with logical fallacies.

With that being said, he asked about "non-Clevelanders". Ironically, your post added no substance.

I visit Cleveland pretty often and enjoy it's "hip" areas, Playhouse Square, Coventry (when I get there), and the various breweries and music venues. I doubt any of that is affected by the Cavs. Probably the only thing affected is the team itself - since sports teams have an overrated impact on cities.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:42 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,960 times
I don't think people think any different. I think native Clevelanders just feel better that the city got over the hump with a sports championship, non Clevelanders would not understand the sports burden but most feel happy that a championship happened for the suffering fans..

Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
I'm not sure what the obsession with location is for people on city-data. It should be an interest in content - not location.

I can easily lie about my location. Actually, I don't live in Maine anymore. I just logged into this account a few days ago for the first time in a couple years. I'm thinking I might leave it at "Maine" just to see how many people like starting their comments with logical fallacies.

With that being said, he asked about "non-Clevelanders". Ironically, your post added no substance.

I visit Cleveland pretty often and enjoy it's "hip" areas, Playhouse Square, Coventry (when I get there), and the various breweries and music venues. I doubt any of that is affected by the Cavs. Probably the only thing affected is the team itself - since sports teams have an overrated impact on cities.
The "from Maine" part was more a knock on Maine, than being a non clevelander. I just had no idea what your point was, so thank you for only being minimally defensive and clarifying.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
His point is the city is still the same Cleveland as before, both good or bad. And he's from Maine because his opinion was solicited as a non-Clevelander. At least he actually visits the city, unlike most.
Sorry for your warriors by the way. Glad to see you're back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland