Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 03:03 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanist928 View Post
I like more artsy, hipsterish, urban neighborhoods and places. Pretty much like Wicker Park and Logan Square in Chicago...
As a native Clevelander who just moved back after living in Chicago for 20 years, I can tell you that such neighborhoods in Cleveland aren't quite a match for their Chicago counterparts. However, here are a few you might enjoy:

Ohio City

Tremont

Gordon Square

University Circle

Shaker Square

And, in the close-in suburbs (dense and urban), check out:

Cleveland Heights -- particularly the Coventry Village and Cedar/Fairmount areas

Lakewood -- particularly the downtown area along Detroit Avenue and a few stretches of Madison Avenue

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 03:08 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Cleveland Air Show will be going on Downtown on Monday (Labor Day) as well: Cleveland National Air Show
To the OP: This is pretty much the same thing as Chicago's Air and Water Show that you guys have the third weekend in August (IIRC). Although because Cleveland's is always held Labor Day weekend, it means we get to enjoy it for a whole extra day.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:56 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
You can get an all day pass from the RTA in Tower City (Termainal Tower) for $5.50, good for bus, rail, and BRT. If you're arriving by air, the redline will get you downtown from the airport. The redline will get you to the West Side Market, University Circle, and Little Italy. Use the Little Italy stop if you're going to the museums in University Circle: CMA, MOCA, Nat History, Botanical Garden, Western Reserve (History). Keep in mind the downtown trolleys are free.
The green line will get you to Shaker Square (restaurants) and the Shaker Lakes Nature center and park (use South Park Blvd station.) The Shaker Lakes area is a nice place to run too.

A couple of possible running trails downtown: Go down to East 9th street and run on N. Marginal east, go all the way to the Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve and turn around. The Marginal is lightly travelled and part of that route is bikeway. Another option, as has been suggested, is to run across the Lorain-Carnegie bridge towards W.25th (Market district) but hang a left onto Abbey road, then another left onto Columbus Road and take it to Settlers Landing near the river, this is the east bank of the flats, from there you can run back into downtown on any road you feel like. This whole route is very safe as long as there is daylight. As with any urban area, running around downtown at night - by yourself - is not recommended unless you completely stay within crowded areas.

Hope you enjoy your stay, I suggest doing a little homework to pick restaurants that fit your tastes, you should have a reasonably good selection.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:22 PM

30 posts, read 27,363 times
Wow you guys have given me so much! Thank you! I think what I will do is check out downtown (obviously) for sure, rock and roll hall of fame, University Circle/Little Italy, and Ohio City. From there I will see how much time I have left and what else I can check out.

I appreciate the heads up on the Air and Water show, but not really into that, and we just had ours in Chicago a couple weeks ago, so if I don't attend it here I am pretty sure I wouldn't attend it in a new city where I want to explore. But I appreciate the heads up. I am looking forward to it though! Also are there any beaches you recommend?

Old 08-28-2016, 12:46 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Wow you guys have given me so much! Thank you! I think what I will do is check out downtown (obviously) for sure, rock and roll hall of fame, University Circle/Little Italy, and Ohio City. From there I will see how much time I have left and what else I can check out.

I appreciate the heads up on the Air and Water show, but not really into that, and we just had ours in Chicago a couple weeks ago, so if I don't attend it here I am pretty sure I wouldn't attend it in a new city where I want to explore. But I appreciate the heads up. I am looking forward to it though! Also are there any beaches you recommend?
Edgewater Park is the closest beach to downtown. Don't miss hiking the upper part of the park if you visit it.

Edgewater Beach | Aquatics | Cleveland Metroparks

Alternatively, consider renting a kayak to explore Cleveland harbor; their are a couple rental options downtown. The Goodtime III cruise boat also is a possibility (consider a cruise that leaves the harbor and goes out on the lake for the best views).

Cleveland Boating | Things to Do in Cleveland Ohio

Old 08-28-2016, 01:50 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
To get to Edgewater, I suggest the Cleveland State BRT line 55-A-B-C: Cleveland State Line | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
You would get off at the Clifton & West Blvd stop. A short walk north along West Blvd takes you right into the park. This would also be a nice place to run. Unfortunately there is no easy way to walk to the beach from downtown - yet. A trail system is being planned.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:48 PM

30 posts, read 27,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
To get to Edgewater, I suggest the Cleveland State BRT line 55-A-B-C: Cleveland State Line | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
You would get off at the Clifton & West Blvd stop. A short walk north along West Blvd takes you right into the park. This would also be a nice place to run. Unfortunately there is no easy way to walk to the beach from downtown - yet. A trail system is being planned.
Would I use the same pass for the train that I would for the BRT to get to the beach? Also how is the water in Lake Erie? Lake Michigan is pretty darn clean, but curious about Lake Erie near Cleveland?

Old 08-28-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Would I use the same pass for the train that I would for the BRT to get to the beach? Also how is the water in Lake Erie? Lake Michigan is pretty darn clean, but curious about Lake Erie near Cleveland?
The RTA day pass covers all rail rapids, BRTs and buses. Downtown bus trolleys are free for everyone and don't require passes.

You can check water conditions at Edgewater here.

Ohio Nowcast

Cleveland traps most storm water for treatment, but after significant storms I would be careful about swimming in many Lake Erie beaches for a day or two.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:16 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Edgewater Park is a must, especially the top of the hill view. The prominence helps to make the view outstanding. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Towpath Trail. Yes, it isn't complete, but I believe there are signs the whole way, and once you get past the first few miles, it's entirely reasonable that someone in pretty good shape could get to the entrance of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (a unique feature so close to the city. If you get over to the beach, instead of running along the beach, perhaps running the top trails, and Edgewater Drive immediately west would be more interesting and better than running directly along the beach, which isn't all that long.

Another thought I had in terms of trails was the Rocky River Reservation. It is massive, and impressive, and especially the Fort Hill trail and overlook is super impressive. However, I'm not sure how easy it is to get to there from downtown sans car (it's right by the airport, about 15 mins. from downtown). Many out of towners are shocked by how sheer/high the river bluff is there.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 PM

Does RTA provide convenient service from downtown to any Rocky River Reservation trailheads? Google transit shows over 1 hour 30 mins., but my hunch there may be faster access to a more northern trailhead in the reservation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland