Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 02:09 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times

Advertisements

After 16 years of living and teaching in NE Ohio, I moved out of state to teach in New Mexico (long story why.......family...etc). After 3 years of rural desert and high elevation and no trees and no water and no grass, and despite having a great job with a great boss in a pretty setting, I really didn't want to stay anymore. I left this August to return "home" to Greater Cleveland. There's no where else I'd rather be, so why settle?
I love what has happened to the city and the region since my return. (Three years later and Univ Circle and Detroit-Shoreway are almost unrecognizable....in a good way.) And I've crammed a lot into the 6 weeks since my return. I smiled every time I drove thru the Metroparks. God I missed all of this.
However, there are few teaching jobs of the middle school and high school variety here......and the usual openings in Cleveland City and Akron City that an unemployed teacher could count on to be available every year have shrunk tremendously. There are way too many graduates every May, all fighting for spots. Talked to one superintendent who I interviewed for....he said they posted a job for 6 days and had 85 applicants. And all younger and because they don't have masters degrees like me, way cheaper.
Back in New Mexico, teaching jobs go unfilled all year, sometimes with no applicants in the boonies (where I was). All over the Southwest and the SE Sun Belt, openings galore. But I want to be HERE.
So I'm subbing for $80 every day in multiple districts (a 65% pay hit from what I had), and pounding the pavement and the Internet daily. I knew it was a roll of the dice (because I sure don't want to wait another year or two when I'll be another year or two older and even less hireable). But I have bills and $80 a day ain't cutting it. Not to mention many of the subs I now work with have been looking for 3, 4, 5 years for anything in their field to open up around here.
I knew what I was getting into by leaving my job. But since I was committed to leaving anyway, figured I'd give Cleveland one more shot. I wanted to be here for local interview access.
So Vegas, or Florida, or back to New Mexico, I guess. It was a nice Ohio vacation! Time to "settle" for something else.....
Damn damn damn.........

Last edited by kpl1228; 09-19-2016 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 02:20 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
After 16 years of living and teaching in NE Ohio, I moved out of state to teach in New Mexico (long story why.......family...etc). After 3 years of rural desert and high elevation and no trees and no water and no grass, and despite having a great job with a great boss in a pretty setting, I really didn't want to stay anymore. I left this August to return "home" to Greater Cleveland. There's no where else I'd rather be, so why settle?
I love what has happened to the city and the region since my return. (Three years later and Univ Circle and Detroit-Shoreway are almost unrecognizable....in a good way.) And I've crammed a lot into the 6 weeks since my return. I smiled every time I drove thru the Metroparks. God I missed all of this.
However, there are few teaching jobs of the middle school and high school variety here......and the usual openings in Cleveland City and Akron City that an unemployed teacher could count on to be available every year have shrunk tremendously. There are way too many graduates every May, all fighting for spots. Talked to one superintendent who I interviewed for....he said they posted a job for 6 days and had 85 applicants. And all younger and because they don't have masters degrees like me, way cheaper.
Back in New Mexico, teaching jobs go unfilled all year, sometimes with no applicants in the boonies (where I was). All over the Southwest and the SE Sun Belt, openings galore. But I want to be HERE.
So I'm subbing for $80 every day in multiple districts (a 65% pay hit from what I had), and pounding the pavement and the Internet daily. I knew it was a roll of the dice (because I sure don't want to wait another year or two when I'll be another year or two older and even less hireable. But I have bills and $80 a day ain't cutting it. Not to mention many of the subs I now work with have been looking for 3, 4, 5 years for anything in their field to open up around here.
I knew what I was getting into by leaving my job. But since I was committed to leaving anyway, figured I'd give Cleveland one more shot. I wanted to be here for local interview access.
So Vegas, or Florida, or back to New Mexico, I guess. It was a nice Ohio vacation! Time to "settle" for something else.....
Damn damn damn.........
Hmm I guess I wouldn't just decide to move so quickly. That's giving things a pretty short chance of survival. You also came back when all schools are already staffed.

I wouldn't jump the gun.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Hmm I guess I wouldn't just decide to move so quickly. That's giving things a pretty short chance of survival. You also came back when all schools are already staffed.

I wouldn't jump the gun.
I hit the online stuff hard since April. Tried hard.....but one district was apprehensive about how far away I was (relocation, etc) when so many local applicants were trying. So I rolled the dice to get NE Ohio local. And jobs also pop open right before school starts in August. But now, no way.
Not sure I can substitute teach and work at a mini-mart the entire year to roll the dice yet again come Spring. Not sure my bank account and bills will allow it. Pretty sure I can't.

Last edited by kpl1228; 09-19-2016 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-19-2016, 05:29 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
I hit the online stuff hard since April. Tried hard.....but one district was apprehensive about how far away I was (relocation, etc) when so many local applicants were trying. So I rolled the dice to get NE Ohio local. And jobs also pop open right before school starts in August. But now, no way.
Not sure I can substitute teach and work at a mini-mart the entire year to roll the dice yet again come Spring. Not sure my bank account and bills will allow it. Pretty sure I can't.
But I guess I'm saying, it's common for employers to not be thrilled about distance. Then when you got here, it was already august. I don't think any reputable school makes it common practice to not be staffed in august. Seems like kinda unfortunate timing.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:02 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
How far outside of Cleveland have you looked?

E.g., the I-71 corridor, or Lake and Lorain counties?

Are there many openings after the holidays?

One problem you're encountering is that changes in the state pension laws caused a lot of accelerated retirements a few years ago.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2016, 09:42 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
So I'm subbing for $80 every day in multiple districts (a 65% pay hit from what I had), and pounding the pavement and the Internet daily. I knew it was a roll of the dice (because I sure don't want to wait another year or two when I'll be another year or two older and even less hireable). But I have bills and $80 a day ain't cutting it. Not to mention many of the subs I now work with have been looking for 3, 4, 5 years for anything in their field to open up around here.
Damn damn damn.........
If you want to stay in Ohio, why not look at other Ohio cities? Job openings aren't going to be the same everywhere and at least you would be able to visit Cleveland a lot more often. And you would be closer if something should open up there.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
If you want to stay in Ohio, why not look at other Ohio cities? Job openings aren't going to be the same everywhere and at least you would be able to visit Cleveland a lot more often. And you would be closer if something should open up there.
I've looked elsewhere in ohio but not hard. Not a bad idea.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:21 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
More wealthy districts are more likely to consider teachers with graduate degrees, especially if you teach math or sciences.

Here's a dated article, and I'm certain complete, more recent listings are available (property value per student).

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...in-ohio--.html

If you're a member of the NEA, perhaps check with the OEA. They used to keep very detailed statistics about school districts which would be invaluable to a teacher looking for a job as they include detailed compensation statistics.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:05 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
What are you certified to teach?

Old 09-26-2016, 07:15 AM

Social studies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland