Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 10:31 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrheasley View Post
To each his own. I like the cost and social aspects of the train, and it better meets my needs. If carpooling is an option, I take it, but there's no way I'm taking an Uber alone.
No offense meant by this at all, but you seem to bUy into media propaganda here. I've done uber like 100 times in the last few years.

Social aspect of trains? You mean everyone listening to music, on their phones and generally ignoring each other? Very puzzled by this. At least in boston, nobody actually likes taking the t, you just more or less have to. Most hate it passionately. Cleveland trains are kinda a novelty and can be "fun" in that regard if you have a car that you know you can use for everything else that's not an Indians game.

Again No offense but want to put this out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 11:23 PM

4,525 posts, read 5,096,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is the case pretty much in every city. I think maybe some people don't like it, but honestly there just isn't the demand. I know I vastly prefer having someone drop me off at my door step after leaving a bar at 2, not walking to a train station, waiting 10 minutes, walking from the station nearest my house. Having a friend drive or uber is simply possibly more expensive (not really if you're with friends, $4 is common with three people for me) and 1/4 the time.

Now if Cleveland were 3x the size it is, I think there's a better case here.
I totally disagree. Cleveland size is irrelevant. If it's big enough to have trains in the 1st place, it's big enough to run late night service. As I said, in the 90s when the Flats was hot there was a demand for service and it was extended late during the summer months. When the Flats died, the service ended. Now downtown generally is much more active as an entertainment, destination place along with Ohio City. There is even more rationale for the service now then back then when there was only the Flats (and now the Flats, esp the East Bank, has been dramatically been rebuilt in recent years, and there's more to come). I've talked to, and read, many people who are very disappointed the trains stop so early on weekends and said they would use it if it ran later.

Your personal view of being dropped off at your door isn't shared by the multitudes who want more transit. Milleneals in particular are less confined to cars and are using trains and buses much more than generations past. The Flats, Downtown and Ohio City are all close-in, walkable areas that have much larger resident populations than a decade ago and are, all 3, well served by rail transit. Add Little Italy and University Circle to the list with the shining new 1-year-old Little Italy Red Line station right in the heart of a bustling residential/retail/employment/education district; so far, the new station is a hit with residents and people accessing the area....

Today, even with the early hours, many young people drive into outer Rapid stations like Brookpark or along the Blue and Green Lines.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I totally disagree. Cleveland size is irrelevant. If it's big enough to have trains in the 1st place, it's big enough to run late night service. As I said, in the 90s when the Flats was hot there was a demand for service and it was extended late during the summer months. When the Flats died, the service ended. Now downtown generally is much more active as an entertainment, destination place along with Ohio City. There is even more rationale for the service now then back then when there was only the Flats (and now the Flats, esp the East Bank, has been dramatically been rebuilt in recent years, and there's more to come). I've talked to, and read, many people who are very disappointed the trains stop so early on weekends and said they would use it if it ran later.

Your personal view of being dropped off at your door isn't shared by the multitudes who want more transit. Milleneals in particular are less confined to cars and are using trains and buses much more than generations past. The Flats, Downtown and Ohio City are all close-in, walkable areas that have much larger resident populations than a decade ago and are, all 3, well served by rail transit. Add Little Italy and University Circle to the list with the shining new 1-year-old Little Italy Red Line station right in the heart of a bustling residential/retail/employment/education district; so far, the new station is a hit with residents and people accessing the area....

Today, even with the early hours, many young people drive into outer Rapid stations like Brookpark or along the Blue and Green Lines.
I'm 27 and live in a city with way more young people and is 3-4 times denser than cle. This just isn't accurate. Nobody likes the transit. Easy to be an upper middle classer in Cleveland suburbs who likes to use the train for entertainment and to feel cosmopolitan. Different when it's your only option.

The fact that a city has trains only means that it's government wants them. Some people too, but their fare money doesn't keep it open, tax money does.

Feel free to disagree, not trying to be personal. But I just gotta say, most Clevelanders who talk like this have cars they use for almost everything. Are any of you on this board 100% carless in Cleveland? I think minervah is. It's possible. But I do feel like people are too rosy here. I actually do agree that the rapid is faster and more comfortable than most systems. But it's just not in demand enough to keep it open until 2 am for goodness sake. And how many of you are actually in your 20s?

Again not trying to make anyone angry, but I think my points are decent.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:19 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,766,948 times
Quote:
I'm 27 and live in a city with way more young people and is 3-4 times denser than cle. This just isn't accurate. Nobody likes the transit. Easy to be an upper middle classer in Cleveland suburbs who likes to use the train for entertainment and to feel cosmopolitan. Different when it's your only option.

The fact that a city has trains only means that it's government wants them. Some people too, but their fare money doesn't keep it open, tax money does.

Feel free to disagree, not trying to be personal. But I just gotta say, most Clevelanders who talk like this have cars they use for almost everything. Are any of you on this board 100% carless in Cleveland? I think minervah is. It's possible. But I do feel like people are too rosy here. I actually do agree that the rapid is faster and more comfortable than most systems. But it's just not in demand enough to keep it open until 2 am for goodness sake. And how many of you are actually in your 20s?

Again not trying to make anyone angry, but I think my points are decent.
Saying "Nobody" might be a bit of a stretch. As a transit fan, I like transit above all other modes of transportation but I'm probably in the minority. I have a car but only use it sparingly on the weekends and almost always only to travel to outer suburbs or to get groceries. I choose to ride transit because I love it. The Rapid was the only mode of transportation other than personal vehicle that I used when in Cleveland. No taxis, TNCs, or anything else.

I do agree that demand is not enough to run late night service in many cities and it's too bad. I'm sure there are folks who work at the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals that can benefit from late night service on some lines but the cost of running it is too high. Many people think that fares pay for much of the expenses in running transit. They don't. Fares from a handful albeit large handful of riders desperate for late night service is not going to cut it. All other riders and taxpayers are not going to subsidize it. Until our nation's public transportation systems are reformed, there won't be immediate changes.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:36 AM

70 posts, read 114,943 times
OP here. Here's my stance, for what it's worth:

I'm from Youngstown and went to college in Kent. Never used public transportation except when I traveled to major cities--Paris and London when I was in college, and NYC when visiting a friend. Then I moved to Cleveland and discovered the rapid, and I love it. There is absolutely a social aspect--I've chatted with at least one person every time I've taken it. Last night, I counted 6 people I talked to. Not for the whole ride, but it was something. And it was very pleasant. Super affordable ($5 round trip!!), and I didn't have to deal with parking or traffic or use my gas/mileage. Getting downtown was super quick. The train was right there waiting for me when I arrived at the station. Getting home was a bit annoying because, despite being there at 11:15 on the dot, I somehow missed the 11:15 train (or it just didn't bother showing, not sure), and had to wait for the 11:45 train. Then, of course, I had to drive about 8 minutes home from the station. But hey, that's the cons of public transportation. Uber, driving your own car, public transportation--whatever you take--is going to have pros and cons. For my personal preferences and needs, the pros of public transit outweigh the cons. From what I could tell, the train was completely full with a happy, chatty crowd on the way home, but I guess I was imagining things because "nobody likes the transit." Having a car is irrelevant. Plenty of people with cars are taking Ubers downtown because parking is inconvenient and expensive, traffic sucks, and they want to drink. I'm not saying you're wrong, bjimmy24, but I do think you're stretching to a bit of an extreme.

If you prefer Uber, take Uber. I don't prefer Uber. If my friends are taking an Uber and I want to ride with them and split the cost, I take the Uber with them. If I am with a group that is carpooling and splitting the cost of parking, I carpool. But, as a single woman in my mid-20's, I find myself traveling alone regularly. So here's my beef with Uber: 1) Uber drivers don't have to follow the same federal and state regulations that taxi services do. It's putting people out of work, and I don't think that's cool. It doesn't really affect my personal life much, and I doubt that my abstinence is putting a real damper on Uber's profits, but it helps me sleep better at night. So until taxi services become extinct or Uber is forced to follow the same guidelines as everyone else, I'm avoiding Uber as much as possible. I know, times change, but the situation just doesn't sit well with me. 2) As a woman, I was taught two things: A. Beware of strangers on the internet (and here I am, talking to all you strangers on the internet. Oh well.). B. Don't get into cars with strangers. Uber is literally finding strangers on the internet and getting into their cars. I've actually never heard of a bad story about Uber in the media. It's just plain common sense in my eyes.

I haven't lived here long enough to know whether the lack of demand is real or not. I don't know if they can afford to continue running services late at night or not, although I would believe it because most things worth funding in our country aren't well funded. All I know is that I would love for them to run until 2:30. I guess I'm just stuck in the minority.

I'm not offended or angry or anything like that--but I certainly am enjoying the debate/discussion. This board has been such a great resource for learning about my new city.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:02 PM

4,525 posts, read 5,096,608 times
I have a car, a nice one at that, but love using transit. Not only is the Rapid the most efficient means of moving in/out of, about in, downtown, Ohio City, University Circle, etc., and other areas especially during crowded periods. Also you never get the feel of a city by driving around in a car. Hell you can get that same effect sitting at a computer terminal using Google Street View.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:53 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrheasley View Post
I've actually never heard of a bad story about Uber in the media.
Bad stories about Uber certainly exist, especially if you do a web search.

<<An Uber driver was arraigned Friday on charges that he raped a passenger in Dorchester earlier this week, at least the third driver in the company’s Massachusetts operations to be accused of sexual assault in the past two months. >>

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...cgN/story.html

Old 10-30-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Bad stories about Uber certainly exist, especially if you do a web search.

<<An Uber driver was arraigned Friday on charges that he raped a passenger in Dorchester earlier this week, at least the third driver in the company’s Massachusetts operations to be accused of sexual assault in the past two months. >>

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...cgN/story.html
boston globe is one of the most anti uber outlets around.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:27 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
boston globe is one of the most anti uber outlets around.
From the linked article:

<<Under the law, which was approved last month but has not gone into effect, Uber and Lyft drivers will undergo state background checks, but will not be fingerprinted as Boston taxi drivers are....

Under the new law, ride-hailing companies will have to check drivers’ backgrounds and disqualify applicants on the basis of a “suitability standard” to be determined by the state. The state will also conduct its own background checks, which cover drivers’ criminal records and sex offender registry information.

The law “prioritizes public safety” and includes “some of the strongest ride-for-hire background check systems in the nation,” Billy Pitman, a spokesman for Governor Charlie Baker, said Friday. “His thoughts are with the survivor and her family during this difficult time.”

The law formally takes effect in November but gives state officials a year to craft regulations before they are adopted.>>

Personally, I believe that state-conducted background checks for Uber and Lyft drivers should be mandatory everywhere. If taxi drivers are fingerprinted, what's the logic for not finger-printing Uber and Lyft drivers? Doesn't finger-printing assure more accurate background checks?

While MA will mandate state background checks, apparently in Ohio only Uber and similar services are required to conduct background checks themselves. Of course, this may make the providers legally liable if they conduct a faulty background check.

Ohio

Old 10-30-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
From the linked article:

<<Under the law, which was approved last month but has not gone into effect, Uber and Lyft drivers will undergo state background checks, but will not be fingerprinted as Boston taxi drivers are....

Under the new law, ride-hailing companies will have to check drivers’ backgrounds and disqualify applicants on the basis of a “suitability standard” to be determined by the state. The state will also conduct its own background checks, which cover drivers’ criminal records and sex offender registry information.

The law “prioritizes public safety” and includes “some of the strongest ride-for-hire background check systems in the nation,” Billy Pitman, a spokesman for Governor Charlie Baker, said Friday. “His thoughts are with the survivor and her family during this difficult time.”

The law formally takes effect in November but gives state officials a year to craft regulations before they are adopted.>>

Personally, I believe that state-conducted background checks for Uber and Lyft drivers should be mandatory everywhere. If taxi drivers are fingerprinted, what's the logic for not finger-printing Uber and Lyft drivers? Doesn't finger-printing assure more accurate background checks?

While MA will mandate state background checks, apparently in Ohio only Uber and similar services are required to conduct background checks themselves. Of course, this may make the providers legally liable if they conduct a faulty background check.

Ohio
Oh yes I read globe articles about uber almost on the daily. A lot of bs coming from the once good globe. I would say don't background check cab drivers either. But it's a moot point because I don't think anyone takes taxis in Boston anymore. But now even by taking uber you pay taxis due to a recent law. Absolutely ridiculous. Of me and my friends here, we probably account for over 1000 uber rides. Absolutely zero incidents. Just fear mongering.

Cabs? Last cab I took was 4/18/13, the Friday after the marathon bombing. I was at MIT after the shooting at a bar. Waited the evening out there, got a cab on mass Ave. Told him I only had 20 after he said he couldn't take my card (bs). He took me and my friend a round about way down arsenal street and when the counter got to $20 he let told us to get out literally one minute after 10 cop cars flew by in front of us, later finding out they were going to the shoot out with the tsarnaevs. I will never forget walking home over 1.5 miles that night wondering what the hell was happening. But yeah uber is the bad guy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland