Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:26 AM

10 posts, read 46,181 times

Advertisements

I regret to inform everyone that another Cleveland Police officer was gunned down tonight, while he was serving the citizens of Cleveland. He leaves behind a wife and two young children.

When will the city do something to curb the violence that he besieged the city for so many years?

R.I.P. fearless warrior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 01:45 AM

Default A Rather Fitting Poem

THE POLICEMAN'S LAST ROLL CALL

The policeman stood and faced his God, which always must come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining, just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, policeman. How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek, to my church have you been true?"

The policeman squared his shoulders and said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't,
Because those of us who carry badges can't always be a Saint.
I've had to work most Sundays, and at times my talk was rough,
And sometimes I've been violent because the streets are awfully tough.
But I never took a penny that wasn't mine to keep
Though I worked a lot of overtime when the bills just got too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help, though times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God forgive me, I've wept many unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place among the people here;
They never wanted me around except to calm their fear.
If you've a place for me Lord, it needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much, but if you don't, I'll understand."

There was silence all around the thrown where the Saints had often trod.
As the policeman waited quietly, for the judgment of his God.
"Step forward now, policeman, you've borne your burdens well.
Come walk a beat on Heaven's streets, you've done your time in hell."

-Author Unknown

Old 03-01-2008, 11:36 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
very nice..........

Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
Sad situation. There have been a lot of cops killed in Cleveland in just the last 2 years. I pray for him and his family.

Most people in the city of Cleveland do not respect the cops, and this stuff is still going to happen unless they can change their image in the city. I dont know anyone in Cleveland who respects the cops there. But at the same time you cannot blame the cops for having to kill somebody once in a while when they are being threatened, because in Cleveland if you dont shoot first, than you will end up dead. Just the other day cops on the westside had to shoot a guy that came at them with a knife, Im sure some people are mad at the decision to kill the guy so fast. but if you look at it from the cops point of view they could have easily been another cop killed in the city, its better to be safe.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:17 AM

570 posts, read 1,820,480 times
I saw on the news that the very next day, the cops killed a kid because he was coming at them with a knife. One of the persons interviewed thinks they overreacted since the cop that was killed was fresh on their minds. I believe it was the police chief that was being interviewed, but he said that the officer being killed didn't have any influence on how they reacted to the situation.

I feel bad for the family especially the officers two young children who will have to grow up without him.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by complexsimplicity View Post
I saw on the news that the very next day, the cops killed a kid because he was coming at them with a knife. One of the persons interviewed thinks they overreacted since the cop that was killed was fresh on their minds. I believe it was the police chief that was being interviewed, but he said that the officer being killed didn't have any influence on how they reacted to the situation.

I feel bad for the family especially the officers two young children who will have to grow up without him.
There will always be somebody that says that the cops overreacted. If you put those people in the same situation as the cops they would have done the same thing. Im not defending everything the CPD does but I dont think they have killed that many innocent people. What would you do if you had a gun and a guy ran at you with a knife from 10 feet away? I probably would have done the same thing, but at the same time I dont know the whole story.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:34 AM

Default Non Lethal Alternative

I am not defending nor condemning the decision by the police to shoot and kill this man with a knife. However, there are non-lethal alternatives available such as tazer guns and nightsticks. A tazer would have temporarily rendered the suspect paralyzed for 8 seconds... enough time to secure the weapon and diffuse the situation peacefully.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM

302 posts, read 1,101,313 times
If know anything about Police they consider a man with a knife to be just as dangerous as a man with a gun. So they'll never take a nightstick out and try to get him that way since it too dangerous for themselves. Tasers can be used, however it depends on the situation. Especially in Cleveland where Cops don't know what the hell can happen, they'll be more wary. Usually when cops say drop the knife and you're within close range and you keep on coming, you'll be shot. Its stupid to think that if someone is coming at you at close range with a knife to holster your gun then pull out the taser, which has to be taken out relatively carefully since the actual part where the propellant/wires are held on to can fall off, or just not work at all at times.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:49 PM

I guess if I was in that same situation I would have tried a non-lethal shot like in the arm or shoulder first. But yeah, in Cleveland the cops have no idea what to expect and they always have to be on guard. I dont think that they would have even used a taser in a situation like that with a guy running at them from 10-15 feet away, its too close and the situation is too dangerous to use a weapon like a taser.

Anyways RIP to Derek Owens and I hope that his family will be okay.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:15 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,456 times
Just came across this post , But many , many years ago , Me , my family and the family of this loving Cleveland Detective , was gunned down , when transporting a prisioner from New York , back to Cleveland , a sad time for all , Need not say more
Luv you George Z. and your FAMILY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: