Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:03 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times

Advertisements

I had similar experiences being from Ohio when I lived in New York and Boston everyone thought Ohio was like Alabama, they would ask me if I grew up on a farm or if I rode a horse to school I kid you not, even a college professor thought Ohio was a dying state full of closed factories. I live in Nashville and when I say I am from Ohio almost everyone says something positive about the state, I think people on the East Coast think the entire world revolves around the Boston, NY, DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 12:31 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I had similar experiences being from Ohio when I lived in New York and Boston everyone thought Ohio was like Alabama, they would ask me if I grew up on a farm or if I rode a horse to school I kid you not, even a college professor thought Ohio was a dying state full of closed factories. I live in Nashville and when I say I am from Ohio almost everyone says something positive about the state, I think people on the East Coast think the entire world revolves around the Boston, NY, DC area.
Depends on who you're talking to. I met a lot of cool people from the East Coast when I was in Ohio, and even now here in Virginia. But they do have their snobs. Ohio tends to be modest. But we don't take a lot of sh_t from people. East Coast people are more comfortable with their arrogance on their home turf. They wouldn't be that way with you if they didn't like you though.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:35 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Depends on who you're talking to. I met a lot of cool people from the East Coast when I was in Ohio, and even now here in Virginia. But they do have their snobs. Ohio tends to be modest. But we don't take a lot of sh_t from people. East Coast people are more comfortable with their arrogance on their home turf. They wouldn't be that way with you if they didn't like you though.
Lot of the East Coast tends to be liberal elitist, not everyone but a lot of people are ignorant as well, it happens everywhere thou I do not get upset over anything anybody says anymore thou.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Lot of the East Coast tends to be liberal elitist, not everyone but a lot of people are ignorant as well, it happens everywhere thou I do not get upset over anything anybody says anymore thou.
Probably the biggest misconception you'll get, other than the rural thing, is that Ohio is conservative, or religious, etc. Some of that is warranted because of a few of the megachurches we had back in the fifties.

East Coast loves to hear themselves talk. Let them. Listen and learn. You'll get along with them a lot easier if you do that, as opposed to finding yourself in a situation where the two of you are talking over each other. Even though I prefer the East Coast, for obvious reasons, as far as temperament, interacting with people, etc I tend to prefer the West Coast. A lot of people will tell you they're weird, eccentric, etc but no different from anyone anywhere else. You'll find that the Midwest is actually a lot closer to that lifestyle than it is to the East Coast anyway.

Of course if you ever find yourself living on the East Coast you'll probably end up being as insufferable as they are, just so that you do not get ran over out there.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:58 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Probably the biggest misconception you'll get, other than the rural thing, is that Ohio is conservative, or religious, etc. Some of that is warranted because of a few of the megachurches we had back in the fifties.

East Coast loves to hear themselves talk. Let them. Listen and learn. You'll get along with them a lot easier if you do that, as opposed to finding yourself in a situation where the two of you are talking over each other. Even though I prefer the East Coast, for obvious reasons, as far as temperament, interacting with people, etc I tend to prefer the West Coast. A lot of people will tell you they're weird, eccentric, etc but no different from anyone anywhere else. You'll find that the Midwest is actually a lot closer to that lifestyle than it is to the East Coast anyway.

Of course if you ever find yourself living on the East Coast you'll probably end up being as insufferable as they are, just so that you do not get ran over out there.
Ohio actually has decent diversity of ideas, cultures, thoughts, backgrounds, etc. So sure some parts are really rural, conservative, liberal, religious, hedonistic, etc. So it's not wrong per se, but people don't realize that Ohio is really different from region to region. I've had multiple conversations where people were shocked when I told them Ohio is actually the 7th most populated state.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:15 PM

811 posts, read 888,408 times
Cleveland is certainly an underrated city. I think in some ways, there is a "Us vs. Them" attitude. Seems to mainly be in sports, but you can see it when Clevelanders get defensive about their city from outsiders. Interestingly, I feel that Cleveland is the most East-coastish city of Ohio, so people from the East Coast who bash Ohio would do well to visit Cleveland. In addition, the other Ohio C's are great too. I think if Cleveland had better weather it would have a better reputation. It's not just the cold and snow, but the general cloudy, gloominess that creates a somewhat negative perception of the city, thanks to Lake Erie. It is typically cooler and cloudier in Cleveland than it is in Columbus or Cincinnati.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ohio actually has decent diversity of ideas, cultures, thoughts, backgrounds, etc. So sure some parts are really rural, conservative, liberal, religious, hedonistic, etc. So it's not wrong per se, but people don't realize that Ohio is really different from region to region. I've had multiple conversations where people were shocked when I told them Ohio is actually the 7th most populated state.
First conversation I had like that I was talking about how high the dormitories at Ohio State were. Second time I told someone that Columbus metro was as big as Hampton Roads. I had an interesting exchange comparing the size of Hampton Roads to Northeastern Ohio before I moved here. Rather ironic as I didn't know anything about Hampton Roads, and the person I was going back and forth with didn't know anything about Northeastern Ohio. Now, if she moved to Northeastern Ohio since then my head will explode.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:58 PM

171 posts, read 148,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
As a Midwesterner who has lived on the East Coast for nearly 30 years, I'm always amazed at the misperceptions that people have about the Midwest. As someone on this thread stated, they confuse Ohio with Alabama.

There's a reason why most of the purple states tend to be in the Midwest. It's a reflection of the "diversity of ideas, cultures, thoughts, backgrounds, etc." Compare that to the South, which always votes Red or the Coasts, which always vote blue.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:00 AM

509 posts, read 433,198 times
I'm an east coaster (born and raised in Savannah, went to college and grad school in Charlotte, and now live in Lynchburg, VA) and love Ohio. I was in Cincinnati with a Charlotte friend last year for my vacation and would place it in my top ten US cities I've visited and I've been all over the US. I could easily live there. Now this Memorial Day weekend myself and two east coast friends are super pumped about our first time visiting Cleveland (five day visit). Got a nice private room at the Cleveland Hostel in Ohio City and plan on exploring great neighborhoods like Ohio City, University Circle, Detroit-Shoreway, downtown, and Tremont. We are also catching an Indians game! I tout how nice Cincinnati is (especially OTR and Pendleton) on my travels and to my friends and am sure I will be equally impressed with what's going on in Cleveland. Looks like a city on the rise with lots of potential and lots of very nice urban neighborhoods and architecture. A lot of my friends like to visit Ohio too so we're not all east coast elitist snobs over here

Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
I'm an east coaster (born and raised in Savannah, went to college and grad school in Charlotte, and now live in Lynchburg, VA) and love Ohio. I was in Cincinnati with a Charlotte friend last year for my vacation and would place it in my top ten US cities I've visited and I've been all over the US. I could easily live there. Now this Memorial Day weekend myself and two east coast friends are super pumped about our first time visiting Cleveland (five day visit). Got a nice private room at the Cleveland Hostel in Ohio City and plan on exploring great neighborhoods like Ohio City, University Circle, Detroit-Shoreway, downtown, and Tremont. We are also catching an Indians game! I tout how nice Cincinnati is (especially OTR and Pendleton) on my travels and to my friends and am sure I will be equally impressed with what's going on in Cleveland. Looks like a city on the rise with lots of potential and lots of very nice urban neighborhoods and architecture. A lot of my friends like to visit Ohio too so we're not all east coast elitist snobs over here
I would certainly distinguish between the east coast DC and northward and south of that.

Sounds like you are doing your Ohio experience right! Please do share how your Cleveland trip turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland