Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:06 PM

840 posts, read 761,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Why are ghettos on the east coast also more expensive than lots of good areas in the midwest?

I think I've gone over this before and nobody gives it a thought.

And no, people on the east coast are not any more anything than people in the Midwest. You might have more dramatic outliers, but I seriously doubt that your assertions have much behind them other than stereotypes.
The east coast is very desirable so most property is more expensive, even ghettos I guess.

I'm talking mostly about people in and around big cities on the coasts...but there are definitely cultural differences between the coasts (east and west) and the rest of the country. I speak in general terms and realize there are exceptions but I think values and interests are often different. There are things that you can attain or be exposed to in these major cities that you can't elsewhere or you would probably still be in Cleveland rather than in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 06:20 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
The east coast is very desirable so most property is more expensive, even ghettos I guess.

I'm talking mostly about people in and around big cities on the coasts...but there are definitely cultural differences between the coasts (east and west) and the rest of the country. I speak in general terms and realize there are exceptions but I think values and interests are often different. There are things that you can attain or be exposed to in these major cities that you can't elsewhere or you would probably still be in Cleveland rather than in Boston.
I assure you, the reason that mattapan is more expensive that Gordon square or shaker heights is not because even though mattapan (you might.know it as murderpan from your Boston days) is a violent ghetto, its still more desirable than Cleveland's top areas. Another question: why are some areas in North Dakota the most expensive in the country? These are actually rhetorical, please actually research housing markets and prices is my point.

Honestly there is nothing in Boston that you can't get in Cleveland. I have no idea what you're talking about to be honest. Maybe racism at baseball games? I personally can't wait to leave New England.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 05-06-2017 at 06:32 AM..

Old 05-06-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I assure you, the reason that mattapan is more expensive that Gordon square or shaker heights is not because even though mattapan (you might.know it as murderpan from your Boston days) is a violent ghetto, its still more desirable than Cleveland's top areas. Another question: why are some areas in North Dakota the most expensive in the country? These are actually rhetorical, please actually research housing markets and prices is my point.

Honestly there is nothing in Boston that you can't get in Cleveland. I have no idea what you're talking about to be honest. Maybe racism at baseball games? I personally can't wait to leave New England.
I don't understand the first part of your first paragraph. I have no idea why properties in North Dakota are so expensive but in general properties along coastlines are more expensive than in the rest of the country.

Boston (Cambridge) has Harvard if that's a plus. It also has more going on whether you like being there or not. And it has cache which matters to some. Hopefully you'll get out soon.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
I don't understand the first part of your first paragraph. I have no idea why properties in North Dakota are so expensive but in general properties along coastlines are more expensive than in the rest of the country.

Boston (Cambridge) has Harvard if that's a plus. It also has more going on whether you like being there or not. And it has cache which matters to some. Hopefully you'll get out soon.
My point was that housing prices are not a pure function of "desirability." Boston has a housing shortage that isn't necessarily related to simply sheer desirability. Same in North Dakota. Lots of regulatory and legal issues prevent supply from catching up with demand. The reason I mentioned North Dakota is because their rents are higher than Boston, so it cannot be explained by just "so many people want to live in a sophisticated big city like boston." Boston has a higher population than all of nd. Therefore that should tell you something about what goes on behind the scenes. It's not the case that the coastal cities cost more just because they're so awesome and everyone of course wants to live there.

Also there really isn't exceptionally much going on in Boston. There is a reason people go to NYC on weekends. Not sure what you're referencing. Boston is notoriously a boring city. Most here would agree (and that's one of the reasons it's preferable to NYC for example).

Honestly, Cleveland has arts that are just as good. Indie art is better in cle. Ask the local Bostonians about the music scene for example, it's terrible. Cleveland has more breweries which is crazy to me. Cleveland has more happy hours too (mass has 0). Cleveland cheaper entertainment and frequently it's a higher quality product too.

Getting off topic so I'm not gonna comment on this again. But suffice to say I think you overrate considerably Boston vs Cleveland.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 05-06-2017 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-06-2017, 01:21 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Honestly there is nothing in Boston that you can't get in Cleveland.
Want to know what I can't get in Cleveland? I can't stop and sit on a park bench and relax with a snack for a few minutes without someone coming along and blowing cigarette smoke in my face.

Backward, backward, backward.

Quote:
I personally can't wait to leave New England.
Then what's stopping you? For the moment, at least, this is still a freeish country.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I have no idea why properties in North Dakota are so expensive
There's an economic boom going on there due to oil. It means great-paying jobs -- and that even spreads to fast-food jobs that pay well above the norm in the rest of the country -- but it's also resulted in sky-high rents as well as more and more people move there to take advantage of the opportunities. People are moving there so fast that supply and demand has gotten a little out of whack.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Also there really isn't exceptionally much going on in Boston.
You should've moved to Chicago instead.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
My point was that housing prices are not a pure function of "desirability." Boston has a housing shortage that isn't necessarily related to simply sheer desirability. Same in North Dakota. Lots of regulatory and legal issues prevent supply from catching up with demand. The reason I mentioned North Dakota is because their rents are higher than Boston, so it cannot be explained by just "so many people want to live in a sophisticated big city like boston." Boston has a higher population than all of nd. Therefore that should tell you something about what goes on behind the scenes. It's not the case that the coastal cities cost more just because they're so awesome and everyone of course wants to live there.

Also there really isn't exceptionally much going on in Boston. There is a reason people go to NYC on weekends. Not sure what you're referencing. Boston is notoriously a boring city. Most here would agree (and that's one of the reasons it's preferable to NYC for example).

Honestly, Cleveland has arts that are just as good. Indie art is better in cle. Ask the local Bostonians about the music scene for example, it's terrible. Cleveland has more breweries which is crazy to me. Cleveland has more happy hours too (mass has 0). Cleveland cheaper entertainment and frequently it's a higher quality product too.

Getting off topic so I'm not gonna comment on this again. But suffice to say I think you overrate considerably Boston vs Cleveland.
I'll give you the happy hour criticism...that is too bad Boston doesn't really have them. But have you ever gone to the bar at the Taj (formerly the Ritz) and sat at a window table overlooking the Public Garden (if not, you should take your gf there)? I find that hard to beat. I didn't find Boston boring when I lived there in the 80s. There were so many foreign and independent films and theaters catering to them, coffee places (is the Algiers still in Cambridge??) - just loved walking Beacon Hill and Back Bay, coffee in the North End, Chinatown, MFA...but guess it doesn't suit you and your interests. Fair enough.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
There's an economic boom going on there due to oil. It means great-paying jobs -- and that even spreads to fast-food jobs that pay well above the norm in the rest of the country -- but it's also resulted in sky-high rents as well as more and more people move there to take advantage of the opportunities. People are moving there so fast that supply and demand has gotten a little out of whack.
Oh...right...I did hear something about that but thought the boom was over.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:38 PM

Default One perception of Cleveland

Late Saturday morning bustle of downtown Cleveland - subtitle: Why do I feel like I'm the last person on earth??

Visitor's perception of Cleveland and its burbs-superior.jpg

Visitor's perception of Cleveland and its burbs-playhouse-square.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland