Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:26 AM

840 posts, read 760,590 times

Advertisements

Is this a typically dangerous area? I wouldn't have thought so.

Authorities asking for help after 8-year-old grazed by bullet at Cleveland Edgewater Park | cleveland.com

Old 07-08-2017, 09:35 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
It is not a dangerous area. File this one under "why we can't have nice things." Seems like even in good parts of town, when there are big events these criminal types from ghettos often feel the need to show up and make sure nobody feels like it's safe to move back in. Similar phenomena have been observed on st Patrick's day too for example.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It is not a dangerous area. File this one under "why we can't have nice things." Seems like even in good parts of town, when there are big events these criminal types from ghettos often feel the need to show up and make sure nobody feels like it's safe to move back in. Similar phenomena have been observed on st Patrick's day too for example.
Also read that two teenagers were shot while "rapping in the park." Aside from not knowing anyone still used the term rapping, I thought that area was ok too (Hough). Just when I started to feel more comfortable here. I can deal with most of Cleveland but don't like the ghetto aspect and it seems hard to avoid. Unsettling.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:09 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Welcome to any other bigger city on the planet.

FYI - outside of the southern fringe near the Euclid corridor and CCF, Hough has been a rough area since the 60s. It has only recently started to gentrify outside of the CCF area.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Welcome to any other bigger city on the planet.

FYI - outside of the southern fringe near the Euclid corridor and CCF, Hough has been a rough area since the 60s. It has only recently started to gentrify outside of the CCF area.
I can't recall any shooting at big events in Boston in the last 5 years, save for the marathon bombing (slightly different dynamic though).

Don't get me wrong, I love the land more than anywhere else, but I'm not going to downplay its issues with violent crime.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:29 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
That's the point. Violent crime issues exist in all big cities, Boston included. However, you can't deride an entire and remarkably improving area of the city over an isolated incident which, as I was told by a CPD officer, was probably as a result of some idiot shooting "for the noise" rather than with an intent to harm. Not that this makes it any better for the victim, but it does offer a little perspective.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That's the point. Violent crime issues exist in all big cities, Boston included. However, you can't deride an entire and remarkably improving area of the city over an isolated incident which, as I was told by a CPD officer, was probably as a result of some idiot shooting "for the noise" rather than with an intent to harm. Not that this makes it any better for the victim, but it does offer a little perspective.
Of course violent crime occurs all over, but it's not even close to the same level as cle.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Well, this is the first big city I've lived in where it seems to pop up in many places and it's hard to be sanguine about it. In other cities there were areas you knew to avoid but here it seems it could happen in or near places that seem or are considered safe. I'm not used to this.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:48 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,845 times
I agree that violent crime can occur anywhere, but the Edgewater shooting and other shootings in downtown and Ohio City should be a call to action. If Cleveland wants to takes its near west side gentrification to the next level, it will have to provide a safer environment. It would be wrong to accept these crimes as part of city living, they're crimes that are threatening peoples lives and real estate investments (lets be real.) Nothing gives credence to suburban living like a shooting at Edgewater or Ohio City or downtown. I think the public housing along Division St. and W. 25th should be torn down. The large, ugly IMO, Riverview towers along W. 25th should be taken down also. Cleveland needs to achieve the "perception of safety" in downtown, in OC, and all the way up to Cudell. It can do this if it does what other city's have done, remove crime ridden public housing, provide community policing, and promote gentrification.

P.S. Many times when I suggest selectively removing public housing in favor of gentrification, I get blasted by people that say "where are you going to put them". My answer is: "don't know, not my job", but I'm sure somebody can figure it out.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I agree that violent crime can occur anywhere, but the Edgewater shooting and other shootings in downtown and Ohio City should be a call to action. If Cleveland wants to takes its near west side gentrification to the next level, it will have to provide a safer environment. It would be wrong to accept these crimes as part of city living, they're crimes that are threatening peoples lives and real estate investments (lets be real.) Nothing gives credence to suburban living like a shooting at Edgewater or Ohio City or downtown. I think the public housing along Division St. and W. 25th should be torn down. The large, ugly IMO, Riverview towers along W. 25th should be taken down also. Cleveland needs to achieve the "perception of safety" in downtown, in OC, and all the way up to Cudell. It can do this if it does what other city's have done, remove crime ridden public housing, provide community policing, and promote gentrification.

P.S. Many times when I suggest selectively removing public housing in favor of gentrification, I get blasted by people that say "where are you going to put them". My answer is: "don't know, not my job", but I'm sure somebody can figure it out.
Good points. I already feel that if I want to stay in Ohio I will only do so if I move outside of Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland