Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:23 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
When you say "the ethnic culture is dying", what do you mean? Your right cities like Boston and San Fran are the toast of the world mainly because of the tech industry, politics, tourist attractions and sports titles. I agree that Mike Polk isn't funny at all, his humor isn't only dry but cheap as well. Some people may find him funny on the Coasts because he makes jokes about Cleveland, I bet they would find him funny if he was poking fun at their city.
I disagree with this importance of sports championships.

The Steelers have won a lot of championships, so have the Penguins. Nobody nationally cares about Pittsburgh as a city. The Cardinals have a lot of World Series trophies. The Royals have made noise in the last few years. Nobody thus thinks they want to move to St Louis or Kansas City.

Mostly what you see is big market cities winning championships, but this notion that it improves reputation I think is misguided. The Red Sox and Patriots win a lot as of late. Did people think Boston was not a great place 10 years ago? Ditto with championships involving NYC and LA and Chicago.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:29 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Allow more immigration, and you'll get more ethnic flavor. Blandness happens due to assimilation over generations. The Hispanic community in Cleveland for example is very vibrant and has the ethnic flavor that the European neighborhoods did in the past.
I don't know. A lot of foreign young people have the same monotonous tastes that native young people do. Assimilation, regardless of ethnicity, is usually complete in the first native-born generation.

The problem with 70% of the millennial generation is that they are, even if they don't realize it, nihilists and narcissists.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:15 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I disagree with this importance of sports championships.

The Steelers have won a lot of championships, so have the Penguins. Nobody nationally cares about Pittsburgh as a city. The Cardinals have a lot of World Series trophies. The Royals have made noise in the last few years. Nobody thus thinks they want to move to St Louis or Kansas City.

Mostly what you see is big market cities winning championships, but this notion that it improves reputation I think is misguided. The Red Sox and Patriots win a lot as of late. Did people think Boston was not a great place 10 years ago? Ditto with championships involving NYC and LA and Chicago.
I wasn't trying to say that sports championship are the end all, be all to a city; they're just a part of it. People were praising Boston long before the Red Sox and Patriots had their success. In my opinion, a certain group of people have this notion that if the sports teams are doing great, the city must be doing great. Why do you feel that my post was misguided?

Old 11-03-2017, 04:04 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Well more bad perceptions about Cleveland this week: 1) Mayor Frank Jackson hires Lance Mason, ex-Common Pleas Court judge and convicted violent felon (recall the judge who beat the ***** out of his wife while driving in a car with their children-gotta wonder what went on in the home) and 2) a Cleveland Municipal Court judge inserts a 4th Amendment issue on behalf of a pro se defendant/non-paying RTA rider and adds ''intimidation'' as the basis for requiring RTA to revamp its fair-checking procedures so as to remove RTA Police from doing it.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Well more bad perceptions about Cleveland this week: 1) Mayor Frank Jackson hires Lance Mason, ex-Common Pleas Court judge and convicted violent felon (recall the judge who beat the ***** out of his wife while driving in a car with their children-gotta wonder what went on in the home) and 2) a Cleveland Municipal Court judge inserts a 4th Amendment issue on behalf of a pro se defendant/non-paying RTA rider and adds ''intimidation'' as the basis for requiring RTA to revamp its fair-checking procedures so as to remove RTA Police from doing it.
OK so your friends in Philly perceive Cleveland bad because of bad politicians? So Philly or PA has no corrupt politicians? Lol. Only Cleveland. I gotcha.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
OK so your friends in Philly perceive Cleveland bad because of bad politicians? So Philly or PA has no corrupt politicians? Lol. Only Cleveland. I gotcha.
Uh no, the topic is about CLE's bad national perception; you know, the thread topic you started.

Haven't had a discussion with anyone in Philly about CLE's bad national perception so not sure why you had to go there but the current CLE mayor hiring this woman-beating convicted felon and a rogue judge playing the ''police intimidation'' card speak for themselves. Philly has its problems no doubt, but its a growing city.

I like seeing transit cops around on public transit; why not have them check fare cards?

Last edited by Kamms; 11-03-2017 at 09:28 PM..

Old 11-04-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Uh no, the topic is about CLE's bad national perception; you know, the thread topic you started.

Haven't had a discussion with anyone in Philly about CLE's bad national perception so not sure why you had to go there but the current CLE mayor hiring this woman-beating convicted felon and a rogue judge playing the ''police intimidation'' card speak for themselves. Philly has its problems no doubt, but its a growing city.

I like seeing transit cops around on public transit; why not have them check fare cards?
I was being sarcastic dude lighten up. No, I don't think Jackson should've hired the judge but to me sometimes you make it seem like Cleveland is the only city in America that does it.

Every politician has ties to people with criminal backgrounds or shady pasts even your boy Trump and even in your beloved growing (sarcastically) paradise City of Brotherly Love's politicians have those same ties. If you take time to look it up I'm sure you'll find it. It's not limited to Cleveland, "The Rust Belt", growing cities or non growing cities. It's just what you choose to put up with, how good the city's PR department is and how much the national media is on your side. If you're gonna have transit cops doing fare cards have them on the trains.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I was being sarcastic dude lighten up. No, I don't think Jackson should've hired the judge but to me sometimes you make it seem like Cleveland is the only city in America that does it.

Every politician has ties to people with criminal backgrounds or shady pasts even your boy Trump and even in your beloved growing (sarcastically) paradise City of Brotherly Love's politicians have those same ties. If you take time to look it up I'm sure you'll find it. It's not limited to Cleveland, "The Rust Belt", growing cities or non growing cities. It's just what you choose to put up with, how good the city's PR department is and how much the national media is on your side. If you're gonna have transit cops doing fare cards have them on the trains.
So, what is the point of your thread? You asked where outsiders get their perception of CLE. I point out two most recent examples and you turn it into a ''other cities have the same problem'' thing. Take a hint: don't start a thread related to CLE's perception issues.

Btw, where else do RTA cops check fare cards other than on the trains and healthline? This CLE ''judge'' took it upon herself to remove RTA cops from checking fares on the trains/healthline and used misplaced legal analysis to do so. At least for now, it's a free RTA rapid and healthline ride-I guess that's a positive impression for the city's perception. Just don't exit at Tower City so you can avoid the ''intimidating'' cops at the turnstiles...lol.

Not a great week for CLE politicians (and judges are politicians as well)...now a CLE muni judge candidate has been accused of rape.

Cleveland is becoming East Cleveland. Can't wait for the ''everyone loses'' Mayoral election on Tuesday.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:02 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
I blame Mike Polk even thou his video has funny the first time I watch it.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I blame Mike Polk even thou his video has funny the first time I watch it.
Mike Polk isn't even from Cleveland and was at least 40 years after CLE's real perception issues came from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: