Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 03:00 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,505 times

Advertisements

Shaker Sq: I have stopped many times to get coffee at Deweys and just enjoy the snow. I do not recall a grocery store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 03:10 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Shaker Sq: I have stopped many times to get coffee at Deweys and just enjoy the snow. I do not recall a grocery store?
There's a Dave's supermarket -- in the southeast quadrant, IIRC.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:42 PM

Thanks! I have seen that, but my brain was tunnel visioned on a Heinens or other larger type. I'm off to the airport and land in the morning!

Old 02-08-2018, 04:19 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_j_planning View Post
WR, I do not anticipate the Van Aken District will have direct impact on the neighborhoods adjacent to Shaker Towne Centre; they are 1.5 miles apart. However, there may be indirect impacts if Van Aken District is successful and lifts the overall desirability of that section of Shaker Heights along Chagrin and Van Aken Boulevards, between Lee and Warrensville Center Roads.

There is other development coming to Shaker Towne Centre that may boost the surrounding areas, including the townhomes planned for the vacant land on the south side of Van Aken Boulevard at Winslow Court, and the economic revitalization work of the Shaker Heights Development Corporation along Lee Road.
As always, thanks for your very informed input!

Old 04-02-2018, 09:36 AM

68 posts, read 68,831 times
SHAKER SQUARE (INCLUDES LARCHMERE

Thanks to all for the helpful info. I am leaning towards shaker square/larchmere. hell, I may be "trapped" in North Jersey "hood", simply because of convenience/transportation, walk to grocery/bodega, etc . Perhaps that is a rut, becoming so used to one's neighborhood/state. Said that I did not want to get old and die in Paterson, NJ; however, I did get old, (not quite dead yet, LOL) still age 42 in my mind; however, the body "ain't listening. Anyway, must consider all my options, downtown areas are always preferable to me; however, I have been ckng. downtown Cleveland and what with "gentrification" taking over the world (you all know "the millenials") I cannot afford 350,400, 500 for a 2/3 BR condo.
Anyway, I had better quickly
move my old "ass" and make a decision. Perhaps near the famous "Cleveland Clinic" would be a necessity for this old lady.. Hey, some of us old people want the same conveniences/amenities as the "millenials". We "ain't" dead yet !!!

Thanks people, for all the helpful info.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:03 AM

68 posts, read 68,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Some great advice above. I began to stay downtown 2 years ago when visiting family in Solon. I absolutely LOVE staying near all that action. I can walk to everything and never use a car. Last Nov, I bought a condo downtown- warehouse area. I'm taking my mom to CLE next week and we'll stay at "my" hotel on Euclid. We will rent a car to get to Solon, but it's just fun to be a min. from sports. theatre, and 4th St area. The other places do have transit, but if you are from NYC, you may not have a car anyway so I'd look downtown.

The condo I bought was asking 185 and I paid 149. Get a realtor to start looking. You never know until you try. My guy has sold downtown RE for over 12 years and knows it very well.

Good luck!

In checking downtown, I have found that the prices for 3 BR apt/condo are completely out of my price range, and ckng. houses in the area, they are also out of my price range (under $250,000). I need/want space, etc. what do you know about the Cedar-Lee area, I have been ckng. houses are great, ; however, in doing a street search, it seems very "suburban", not walkable. When checking the "lifestyle" may, seems to be coffee shop, grocery, restaurants, off of Cedar. Perhaps when looking at a map, conveniences seem close, but for walkability? and I do not mean a mile for daily conveniences. Would love to be in an area with a Mom & Pop-type GREEK DINER. I am spoiled in NJ--diners every where.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:23 AM

Why a 3bd? Just curios. Seems like prices are going up. Zillow says my condo is now 165K- bought last Nov. for 145K.

There are cool apts on 4th and Euclid for $1300 per month and that's ON 4th (pedestrian walkway).

Old 04-16-2018, 09:33 AM

201 posts, read 237,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neleh View Post
In checking downtown, I have found that the prices for 3 BR apt/condo are completely out of my price range, and ckng. houses in the area, they are also out of my price range (under $250,000). I need/want space, etc. what do you know about the Cedar-Lee area, I have been ckng. houses are great, ; however, in doing a street search, it seems very "suburban", not walkable. When checking the "lifestyle" may, seems to be coffee shop, grocery, restaurants, off of Cedar. Perhaps when looking at a map, conveniences seem close, but for walkability? and I do not mean a mile for daily conveniences. Would love to be in an area with a Mom & Pop-type GREEK DINER. I am spoiled in NJ--diners every where.
OP, the pedestrian experience (and the overall housing market and vibe) along Lee Road is quite different when you compare "north of Cedar" (NOC) to "south of Cedar" (SOC).

Lee Road NOC has a grocery store (Zagara's) and a pop-up diner (Katz Club Diner) but not as many viable businesses and the streetscape is less urban and dynamic. While there are some gems (e.g. Bottlehouse Brewery), the neighborhoods on both sides tend to be lower down the socioeconomic ladder. You will notice the visible signs of a struggling real estate market as you move closer to and north of Mayfield Road, as well as east of Lee toward Taylor Road.

Lee Road SOC is an epicenter of civic life, commerce and entertainment for the greater Heights area. However, there is no grocery store or Greek diner. The streetscape has a denser, more urban and more walkable feel for several blocks south of Cedar Road. This area includes many bars and restaurants, along with Cedar-Lee Theatre, Dobama Theatre and Cleveland Heights Public Library. While the neighborhood immediately east of Cedar-Lee Theatre is marginal, housing prices are definitely higher on both sides of Lee Road SOC and increase dramatically on the west side of Lee Road as you move closer to Fairmount Boulevard (Fairfax Triangle neighborhood).

You are welcome to PM me for more specific questions; good luck!

Old 04-16-2018, 02:42 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neleh View Post
Would love to be in an area with a Mom & Pop-type GREEK DINER. I am spoiled in NJ--diners every where.
You're not going to find very much of that on the East Side, I'm afraid. The West Side is the place to go for diners of that type.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
You're not going to find very much of that on the East Side, I'm afraid. The West Side is the place to go for diners of that type.
Having spent some time along Route 1 in New Jersey, I don't think Cleveland has many, if any, New Jersey-type diners.

Here are a few of Cleveland's more popular "diners" on the East Side.

Big Al's Diner

https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland...on?oid=1430937

Michael's Diner at Shaker Square

https://www.yelp.com/biz/michaels-diner-cleveland

What were you thinking about on the West Side???

If the OP wants an urban experience, she should check out condos on West 25th St. near the West Side Market (not nearer Detroit Ave.). She'll find plenty of restaurants, such as Nate's Deli, Townhall, and many more. Also the West Side Market and Dave's for food and groceries.

38 restaurants and bars to check out in Cleveland's Ohio City | cleveland.com

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...de.Market.html

Shaker Square/Larchmere also has a Dave's Supermarket and an excellent farmers market in summer months.

Shaker Square Market | North Union Farmers Market

I didn't know that Shaker Square had an indoor winter farmers market.

Shaker Square Indoor Winter Market | North Union Farmers Market

Both the Market District of Ohio City and Shaker Square have very good mass transit, including buses and rail rapids.

Introducing the Ohio City Connector | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland