Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 09:44 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times

Advertisements

Burton has a nice small town vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 08:09 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Peninsula Peninsula Peninsula Peninsula. My #1 dream retirement town for anywhere in the US. NE Ohio quality medical care close by plus all of the amenities and beauty of a national park, and Blossom, and a cool train, and easy access to two urban areas. I can't be the only one that thinks this. So how that town has just not absolutely exploded with more growth in some way shape or form in any part of the area is amazing to me, even with strict NPS restrictions and zoning. Little has changed in twenty years.
It's the best of ALL worlds.
I miss evenings biking the Towpath Trail. Followed by a stop in town at Fisher's or even the Lizard.
I really like this idea. Great points and the housing looks quite reasonable.

Hudson looks good too.

Last edited by tgbwc; 07-02-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-04-2018, 10:56 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Burton has a nice small town vibe.
I've been to Burton actually. It does have a charming town square area. But it is rather rural and remote from most of the rest of Cleveland or even typical suburban amenities. Stayed in Solon since few hotels in that part of NW Ohio and the commute was about 30 minutes, even with the snow. At least it was reverse the traffic flow on US-422. Also drove to Shaker Square one evening from there. Talk about a hike. But it was pretty with the recent snow and some of those houses in Cleveland's eastern suburban reaches... wow!

And again, lot's of snow too. Was there in January or February this year.

I hear lots of good things about Oberlin. Perhaps the only town more liberal than Southwest Ohio's Yellow Springs in red-banner Greene County, in part perhaps because of its more successful college.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:39 PM

What are your thoughts on Rocky River? It seems to have a nice mix of what we might be looking for in a few years.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:02 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I've been to Burton actually. It does have a charming town square area. But it is rather rural and remote from most of the rest of Cleveland or even typical suburban amenities. Stayed in Solon since few hotels in that part of NW Ohio and the commute was about 30 minutes, even with the snow. At least it was reverse the traffic flow on US-422. Also drove to Shaker Square one evening from there. Talk about a hike. But it was pretty with the recent snow and some of those houses in Cleveland's eastern suburban reaches... wow!

And again, lot's of snow too. Was there in January or February this year.

I hear lots of good things about Oberlin. Perhaps the only town more liberal than Southwest Ohio's Yellow Springs in red-banner Greene County, in part perhaps because of its more successful college.
It's tiny and definitely out there. I don't know if it even qualifies as a "suburb" of Cleveland even though Geauga County is considered part of "Greater Cleveland." I enjoy visiting the place, however.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:41 AM

372 posts, read 593,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
What are your thoughts on Rocky River? It seems to have a nice mix of what we might be looking for in a few years.

Taxes are high, but the ammenities and location can't be beat. Great town.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
Taxes are high, but the amenities and location can't be beat. Great town.
That is something that will take some research and figuring on our part. Our real estate tax is pretty straightforward. $1.155 for every $100 assessed value, so just under $6k/year for a house valued at $502k. Looks like it's about $2,600 for every $100k there. I also see references to "millage", "inside millage" and "outside millage" rates so perhaps it's a bit more complicated.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:52 AM

372 posts, read 593,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
That is something that will take some research and figuring on our part. Our real estate tax is pretty straightforward. $1.155 for every $100 assessed value, so just under $6k/year for a house valued at $502k. Looks like it's about $2,600 for every $100k there. I also see references to "millage", "inside millage" and "outside millage" rates so perhaps it's a bit more complicated.

yes, then there are local city taxes that are at around 1% with a partial % credit given if you pay city taxes in the city you work. In total on a 260,000 house, we pay over $7000 in property and city taxes a year.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM

25 posts, read 31,676 times
I'd throw Sharon into the mix with a small town vibe.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:47 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,803 times
Regarding Rocky River, when we were looking, we had Rocky River middle of the road when it came to taxes:

Cuyahoga County Property Tax Rates (2018) - Cleveland Real Estate

I personally wouldn’t call them high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: