Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
yes, being better than detroit, doesnt say much..
Yeah thats not really saying much. Im still surprised at how many people Cuyahoga County has lost though. Im guessing its mainly because of the higher taxes and prices for things and the proximity to Cleveland. Most of the other counties in the area seem to be growing, probably at Cuyahoga Countys expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:53 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
How does all this have anything to do with the Flats...

Saying Cuyahoga County will effect the Flats?? This is not like the 1980's when the county (not city) lost -13%. "Recent" loss is such a drop in the bucket compared to the total popualtion and realy doesn't effect downtown redevelopment--especially with this town's renewed interest in urban development/urban living.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
if you remember the flats built up in the late 90s early 2000s and then became rampant with crime.. so to get people back there will not be easy.. i for one, would not go back

Old 04-09-2008, 03:35 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
if you remember the flats built up in the late 90s early 2000s and then became rampant with crime.. so to get people back there will not be easy.. i for one, would not go back
And I am glad the majority of people do not have this attitude. Have you been to the Flats lately? All the new condos they have built have already been sold out, and the new ones they are building are selling like crazy.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:43 PM

Yeah, the Flats are actually turning out to look really good.

Let me share with you what people told me (not exact words): "The flats used to be a great place, and then it got really wild there, it got to a point where you couldnt go there without getting in a fight or shot at, then it basically shut down."

Now it seems to be improving a lot. Maybe this time we will attract a different crowd to the flats and have heavier police presence. The Flats is one of the most storied areas in Cleveland, when you go there you can almost feel all the history. I would live there, if I could find an apartment.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:53 PM

the majority of my age group do have this attitude.. just curious what is your age group, you seem very very old school the way you talk about cleveland

Old 04-09-2008, 06:50 PM

^^generally it is the older generations that have the worst attutides about Cleveland--especially those would moved out and for just cause...it is the younger group (college age) where I see the most optimism--the ones who have only seen improvements in the city (building of Key Tower, RRHOF, all three stadiums, great lakes science center, Case, CSU, Cleveland Clinic, and other neighborhoods completely rebuilt)

EDIT: I don't see old school in anyone's post..in all honestly I would guess you're between 35-50 based on how you see the city. just curious, what part was old school?? Cle440 sounds like early 20's to me. (I'm not trying to devulge private information, so no need to answer the question about age.)

Old 04-09-2008, 07:00 PM

airics,

It is also to be built as a residental nieghborhood--big difference. It'll hold offices, a movie theater, grocery store, Bernie Kasar steakhouse, boardwalk....basically, a completely different feel. This time it will have more 24-hr foot traffic instead of the 8pm-2:30am we saw in the 1990's.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:43 PM

not referring to cle440 and you are correct with the age group.... growing up with cleveland in the toilet, then seeing it prosper and now back to the toilet really hurts.. doesnt make much sense...
it seems like every time this city does something right, it goes one step forward and three steps back..
i do disagree the the older generation wanting to leave, they are ones that want to stick around and everything is rosy.. (except for gas prices and other necessities that skyrocketed)
i think the politicians of cleveland need to get off their a** and do something..

with the waterfront, we could be just like chicago or toronto but it will never happen.. the property taxes keep alot of people away too.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 PM

Im 27 years old, so early-20s is not far off. I notice a pretty big difference in views on Cleveland from different age groups. I know I talk bad about the city a lot, but thats only because of the crime and poverty issue (urban decay, etc. anything you want to include to that). I grew up in the Cleveland area and I have always loved the city my whole life. I like how the city is progressing now and all the new things that have been done in the past 15 years.

I know what you are talking about with the age groups though. Most people over 40 or so have a pretty grim view on the city. My Uncle is always telling me how great Cleveland used to be, and how bad its gotten since then. I dont really understand it that much though, because in the 70s crime was worse as ever (I think?), and with the mafia. As far as abandonment of the city, I can definitely see what he means though. In the current city limits there used to be 1.2 million people and now its only 450K. There have been a lot of bad choices made that could have easily been avoided, but there is always the money issue. I hope that the flats turns into a great place again though. I would love to see Cleveland gaining population like it once did, but sadly I dont see that in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland