Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 04:59 PM

400 posts, read 449,615 times

Advertisements

I met my wife here and we loved the city & NE Ohio. Moved to the Bay Area but recently went back for a family reunion (sort of halfway between the Twin Cities & DC) at Geneva on the Lake.

In the past 3 years Cleveland has grown and it seems like a lot of good things are happening there! Was able to hit all the old haunts including the metro parks, Barrio, Mitchells, Little Italty (Maxis), ect.

All I have to say is we miss CLE & NE Ohio. The scenary, beer, and prople are still great. Completely underrated (neither of us are OH natives) place and can't wait for our next visit. If the right opportunity presented itself we might move back one day.

Anyways, just randoms thoughts on a Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 05:36 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
I met my wife here and we loved the city & NE Ohio. Moved to the Bay Area but recently went back for a family reunion (sort of halfway between the Twin Cities & DC) at Geneva on the Lake.

In the past 3 years Cleveland has grown and it seems like a lot of good things are happening there! Was able to hit all the old haunts including the metro parks, Barrio, Mitchells, Little Italty (Maxis), ect.

All I have to say is we miss CLE & NE Ohio. The scenary, beer, and prople are still great. Completely underrated (neither of us are OH natives) place and can't wait for our next visit. If the right opportunity presented itself we might move back one day.

Anyways, just randoms thoughts on a Tuesday.
Appreciate the love. How's living in The Bay different than living in Ohio? I already know weather is one of them lol but I'm talking about outside of that.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:47 PM

400 posts, read 449,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Appreciate the love. How's living in The Bay different than living in Ohio? I already know weather is one of them lol but I'm talking about outside of that.

Pluses and minuses as with everywhere. Outdoor activities and opportunities to explore are great. Obviously weather is better but different (absolutely no rain May to October) but otherwise good. Can be in the snow in 3 hours or so. Lots of varied food options. A treasure grove of different and dramatic landscapes.

Very very crowded here and insanely expensive. Even with a 1.5 hour commute (from San Francisco) the "starter houses" 3/2 1200 sq ft are $800k. More reasonable in other parts of the State.
People are not as nice as in Ohio. If you can dream it, California will tax it. Schools aren't great in most areas but there are a few good districts.

The State of California isn't bad as a whole. A lot of the towns in the Sierras and along the coast are great. Sacramento is an underrated city. San Francisco is a s*it hole. I've never seen a dirtier more crime ridden city with hundreds of needles on the ground, homeless encampments, and people pooping on the side walk. This is not hyperbole either. I've lived in CLE, Baltimore, and New Orleans for reference.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:47 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
I love Cleveland as well, great US city that always gets compared to Detroit and St. Louis and does not get enough national love. The people in Cleveland are awesome.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:07 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I love Cleveland as well, great US city that always gets compared to Detroit and St. Louis and does not get enough national love. The people in Cleveland are awesome.
Agree 100%. But the media definitely plays a big factor on the reason why Cleveland doesn't get enough national love IMO. Plus, a lot of people still can't get The Rust Belt image out of their heads.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:51 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Agree 100%. But the media definitely plays a big factor on the reason why Cleveland doesn't get enough national love IMO. Plus, a lot of people still can't get The Rust Belt image out of their heads.
Not a fan of the Rust Belt but I love Cleveland. I hope Cleveland does well in future. I enjoyed living in Ohio it was a great state. Every state and city has it's pro's and con's a thing a lot of CD posters do not realize no matter how much of a homer they are of their city.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:59 PM

564 posts, read 1,043,518 times
There is something about Cleveland that keeps me thinking about whether to return or not. I lived there twice before but at times that were difficult personally as I was struggling with grief at losing my parents. Thus, the winter really bothered me since I'd moved there from Miami.

I've been living in North Carolina 16 years and have yet to feel at home here. I'm not a southerner and never really will fit in. Just how many years does one keep trying to make a place work? I need to make a decision in the next 2-3 months on where to relocate, and Cleveland keeps coming back in my mind all the time.

I haven't lived in Cleveland for 16 years but images of places I loved keep returning - the Metroparks system, walks along the lake near Bay Village, and stopping for ice cream there during the summer at the stand (cannot remember the name), riding downtown on the train and spending time at Tower City, West Side Market, to name a few. The weather is definitely not a draw but a lot of the other parts of Cleveland are. I wonder how it would be if I move back.

Seeing your post seems to be another sign. Hmm. I know how you feel, Scorpion3510.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:12 PM

372 posts, read 593,738 times
Thank you for posting, OP! We moved here in 2008 from the Bay Area, then moved to Nashville, and then moved back to the west side of Cleveland in 2013. We almost went for a promotional move again to another midwest state and I was in tears daily thinking of uprooting from here. It is such an underrated, secret gem. I walked to the lake today and enjoyed the waves. This weekend we skipped rocks with the dog in the river. We golfed in the metro parks at the last minute on Friday as a family and enjoyed the cool, quiet night out. So many, almost TOO many things to do. There were several festivals and events locally this past weekend to chose from. And we can afford to experience these things without breaking the bank. Amazing schools as well. It's nice to remind ourselves now and then how good we have it.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:59 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Quote:
People are not as nice as in Ohio.
I, for one, could do with a little less "niceness". Total strangers cornering me on the street, even right downtown, and talking me to death when I'd prefer to be alone with my thoughts. And it's not like I give them the slightest encouragement, via body language, eye contact, etc. I don't. But everybody wants to zero in on me and bother me all the time. I'm longing to live in a city again where people know how to act.

Quote:
San Francisco is a s*it hole. I've never seen a dirtier more crime ridden city with hundreds of needles on the ground, homeless encampments, and people pooping on the side walk. This is not hyperbole either.
Yeah, I've been reading tons of articles online about that stuff. Despite all that, however, it appears that there are plenty of people who will pay enormous amounts of money to live there. So the city must have something or other going for it.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:28 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Yeah, I've been reading tons of articles online about that stuff. Despite all that, however, it appears that there are plenty of people who will pay enormous amounts of money to live there. So the city must have something or other going for it.
Tech bros are debatably "people."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland