Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:54 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times

Advertisements

Meijer will open three supercenters in Greater Cleveland in 2019, directly and indirectly replacing Sears and K-Mart. Who would have guessed that outcome 15 years ago?

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...ntor-stow.html

My guess, based on only one shopping trip to a Meijer store, testimony from several Columbus area residents, and the recognition that Michigan-based Meijer is especially attuned to Great Lakes region consumers, is that Meijer will be a tough competitor for Greater Cleveland retail market share.

I've heard that Meijer offers a great fish market. If so, that will be a welcome addition.

Any other thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 06:35 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
I hope they do well and can open some more stores that aren't as far out.

People say that Target is the "nicer version of walmart", but that honor really should go to Meijer. They carry a much more comparable stock of items and departments.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Meijer to open Mentor, Solon and Stow supercenters in May

Meijer plans to open 11 more stores in northeast Ohio in the next 5 years. If accomplished, it would establish Meijer as a major retail presence in northeast Ohio and greatly increase grocery competition. Wal-Mart apparently has 16 of its supercenters, not including smaller stores with smaller groceries, in northeast Ohio.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...-and-stow.html

Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,157 times
We moved from Michigan to Georgia 20+ years ago and my wife still talks about how much she misses Meijer. She is very envious that they are opening one in Mentor.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Wish there were one by me.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,059 times
IMO, this area (Cleveland, not far out burbs) could use a store like Fred Meyer in the Seattle area. Excellent selection of food/merchandise. Generally in-store Starbucks or similar. Not real upscale, but much nicer than Walmart. One of the few things I miss about the Pacific NW! The only store I've found where I can get everything I'm looking for food-wise is Giant Eagle, but they are small and don't have many other items other than food. I could go into my local Fred Meyer, pick up coffee and a pastry, do all my grocery shopping and pick up lawn/garden items, toiletries, hardware, etc, etc all in one stop. At least from what I've seen, there isn't anything similar here; or maybe I'm just missing it. Plus, it's all the way to Beachwood to hit the Giant Eagle for me...not terribly convenient.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:43 AM

538 posts, read 658,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
IMO, this area (Cleveland, not far out burbs) could use a store like Fred Meyer in the Seattle area. Excellent selection of food/merchandise. Generally in-store Starbucks or similar. Not real upscale, but much nicer than Walmart. One of the few things I miss about the Pacific NW! The only store I've found where I can get everything I'm looking for food-wise is Giant Eagle, but they are small and don't have many other items other than food. I could go into my local Fred Meyer, pick up coffee and a pastry, do all my grocery shopping and pick up lawn/garden items, toiletries, hardware, etc, etc all in one stop. At least from what I've seen, there isn't anything similar here; or maybe I'm just missing it. Plus, it's all the way to Beachwood to hit the Giant Eagle for me...not terribly convenient.
The Giant Eagle stores vary drastically by size. The GE on W. 117th in Cleveland is the biggest grocery store I've seen anywhere.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Did you know Freddie's was bought out by Kroger in the 90's? By any other name Fred Meyer's has been a Krogers for a long time. I would love to have a Krogers in the Cleveland area.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:50 PM

1,304 posts, read 855,059 times
Yes, I know Kroger owned Freddie's.....not sure how much a Kroger store is like a Fred Meyer store though. I'm really surprised there is nothing like it here! One stop shopping and all.....

Old 03-25-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Did you know Freddie's was bought out by Kroger in the 90's? By any other name Fred Meyer's has been a Krogers for a long time. I would love to have a Krogers in the Cleveland area.
Kroger pulled out of the northeastern Ohio market in the 1980s. My memory of the dominant Cleveland grocery chains growing up in the 1950s and 1960s were A&P, Fisher, Pick-n-Pay (I had forgotten about Eagle stamps before reading the Wikipedia article below; kids loved keeping the family's Eagle stamp books and Eagle stamps were the dominant trading stamp in Greater Cleveland), and Kroger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_Foods

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pick-N-Pay_Supermarkets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26H_Green_Stamps

Cleveland always was a highly competitive grocery market, but the significant market penetration of Marc's, and more recently Aldi's, likely precludes Kroger from ever re-entering the Cleveland market. The entry of Meijer's adds to the formidable difficulty of Kroger of re-establishing a presence in Greater Cleveland; Meijer's likely will most resemble Fred Meyer of any grocery chain ever operating in Greater Cleveland (note the similarity in names).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc%27s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Meyer

Last edited by WRnative; 03-25-2019 at 04:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland