Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 06:56 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times

Advertisements

Bob Stark envisions his NuCLEus project marking a new century in Cleveland just as the Cleveland Union Terminal and the Terminal Tower (now part of Tower City) did in the first half of the 20th century.

<<"Our goal is no less than to have the catalytic effect that the Tower City project had on Cleveland at the beginning of the 20th Century.">>

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...actually-means
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 07:59 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
https://www.thrillist.com/lifestyle/...o-cleveland-oh

I have seen a few others post positive press articles in this section as late (not sure where that thread went to, or how far back it it), but I think this is some of the best news yet, because, this isn't just one article, its a national resource that out of town visitors can use to learn about our city (and generally, exposure).

https://www.similarweb.com/website/t...t.com#overview

Documenting it's search volume and traffic (17.54 M visitors in the last month alone). Obviously, MANY of them may not be looking at Cleveland stuff, and many are not as hardcore of travelers as me, but I look to this site as a guide for some cool, under the radar places to check out when I'm in a new city (and even for certain cities regionally I might want to go check out). It may not be a huge help, but every little bit does help, and it gives Cleveland an advantage over many similarly sized metros that don't have a similar page on a site like that.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:46 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times
More discussion regarding TOD at west blvd. Station.https://plainpress.wordpress.com/201...r-development/

Old 07-22-2017, 07:34 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
UrbanOhio.com Northeast Ohio projects and construction.
They have sub forums for many neighborhoods.
I would like to see a new S-W Headquarters tower, but the main poster on this point in the urbanohio forum is just speculating. This issue as well as a speculative Medical Mutual Headquarters tower.

Cleveland needs job growth. All the residential construction going on, while good and nice, is currently just a shell game of moving people around the metro area. CLE needs job and population growth before we see and have the need to really develop the areas around the rapid transit stations.

Who wants to live around Cudell now? Also, these TOD developments assume people living in these places are actually going to use the rapid transit to get to work. For this to happen, CLE needs employment growth downtown, or somewhere else along the rapid lines for the tenants in these TOD projects.

What happened to the TOD/streetscape project in and around the West Park station? The pics sure looked pretty but I had a reservation about the ''people'' in these renderings (idyllically walking, biking, and sitting in outdoor café areas) as that is not what is around that area now.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:57 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I would like to see a new S-W Headquarters tower, but the main poster on this point in the urbanohio forum is just speculating. This issue as well as a speculative Medical Mutual Headquarters tower.

Cleveland needs job growth. All the residential construction going on, while good and nice, is currently just a shell game of moving people around the metro area. CLE needs job and population growth before we see and have the need to really develop the areas around the rapid transit stations.

Who wants to live around Cudell now? Also, these TOD developments assume people living in these places are actually going to use the rapid transit to get to work. For this to happen, CLE needs employment growth downtown, or somewhere else along the rapid lines for the tenants in these TOD projects.

What happened to the TOD/streetscape project in and around the West Park station? The pics sure looked pretty but I had a reservation about the ''people'' in these renderings (idyllically walking, biking, and sitting in outdoor café areas) as that is not what is around that area now.
Very valid concerns that I also share.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:01 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times
Tru by Hilton hotel could open in Cleveland's Midtown, on Euclid Avenue, in early 2019 (photos) | cleveland.com

Old 07-22-2017, 05:10 PM

378 posts, read 341,852 times
Quote:
Just because you don't want to live there doesn't mean the neighborhood isn't seeing an increase in investment.

The West Blvd station has the third highest ridership in the RTA system. It's also a multi-modal hub and serves multiple prominent bus lines. A decent amount of people in both Edgewater and Cudell use the station in their commutes but the point of TOD is to increase the number of residents and jobs within immediate access of transit. I do agree that a lot of development is just moving people around, but I would also argue that all development of any notable scale within proximity to transit needs to focus on that accessibility as a fundamental asset. All development should be TOD before we really start investing in other development.

There actually are a lot of people who would prefer to commute via transit but development of residential units hasn't really facilitated that option for people living outside of downtown, Ohio City, etc.

The Midland Steel site is finally being developed, so according to Councilwoman Brady that'll be about 300 new jobs within proximity of the West Blvd station and will hopefully induce some new demand.

Last edited by j_ws; 07-22-2017 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 06:12 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
Just because you don't want to live there doesn't mean the neighborhood isn't seeing an increase in investment.

The West Blvd station has the third highest ridership in the RTA system. It's also a multi-modal hub and serves multiple prominent bus lines. A decent amount of people in both Edgewater and Cudell use the station in their commutes but the point of TOD is to increase the number of residents and jobs within immediate access of transit. I do agree that a lot of development is just moving people around, but I would also argue that all development of any notable scale within proximity to transit needs to focus on that accessibility as a fundamental asset. All development should be TOD before we really start investing in other development.

There actually are a lot of people who would prefer to commute via transit but development of residential units hasn't really facilitated that option for people living outside of downtown, Ohio City, etc.

The Midland Steel site is finally being developed, so according to Councilwoman Brady that'll be about 300 new jobs within proximity of the West Blvd station and will hopefully induce some new demand.
Trust me, I want to see the Cudell area full of working millennials or people with jobs generally. I look forward to using the Red Line trains full of nicely dressed professionals on their way to work downtown or other areas along the train route.

I lived in the Cudell area. The main reason: access to the Red Line for work and school downtown. It was going 'hood then so I, like many others, moved out. Guess where I moved then? Ohio City. Way before this current, hip trend.

Glad to see some potential development on the Midland Steel site; the W 117th Street station is actually closer to this site than W 98th Street/Detroit. Regardless, of the 300 potential workers at this location, how many are going to use the Rapid to commute there? When the area has 30,000 jobs in the pipeline, then you will see transit use spin-off.

Are you limiting your reference to transit being limited to downtown/Ohio City for the Rapid? Otherwise, bus access is good, with connections to the Rapid throughout the area.

The issue remains: job growth. Daily commuters using all forms of public transit, complemented with the occasional users going to sporting events, WSM, UC etc.

Hopefully Cleveland can get TOD right going forward. After all, Cleveland first true TOD development was a disaster: Tower City Center. The only downtown train station, with 3 train lines serving TCC, and it went from Gucci to Hoochie.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:53 AM

5 posts, read 3,860 times
Quote:
Moving people between the different suburbs and exurbs is a shell game. Building new developments in higher density neighborhoods of the metro that move people from the suburbs and exurbs or entice people to remain in more urban parts of the metro is not a shell game. The more dense the metro becomes the better off we are even if we are forced to suffer another decade or two of slow population/job growth. TOD is a way to help maximize the benefits of that higher density.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:27 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervilles09 View Post
Moving people between the different suburbs and exurbs is a shell game. Building new developments in higher density neighborhoods of the metro that move people from the suburbs and exurbs or entice people to remain in more urban parts of the metro is not a shell game. The more dense the metro becomes the better off we are even if we are forced to suffer another decade or two of slow population/job growth. TOD is a way to help maximize the benefits of that higher density.
How does density make everything better exactly?

A lot of slums and ghettos worldwide are pretty dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland