Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2021, 03:26 PM

201 posts, read 237,844 times

Advertisements

https://www.cleveland.com/realestate...arch-says.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 08:50 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_j_planning View Post

Well, I just bought a home on the east side of Cleveland FWIW. But I guess the unpleasant truth here is that a lot of the east side is basically unliveable and when it comes to putting down roots and investing in a community, I dont know why an average person would take those risks for basically no payoff whatsoever.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:07 PM

201 posts, read 237,844 times
Default Midtown Redevelopment of Former Industrial Factory Into Housing and Offices

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2021/...ga-county.html

Old 03-03-2021, 03:40 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well, I just bought a home on the east side of Cleveland FWIW. But I guess the unpleasant truth here is that a lot of the east side is basically unliveable and when it comes to putting down roots and investing in a community, I dont know why an average person would take those risks for basically no payoff whatsoever.
Disagree. I moved here for work on the east side and can't understand my colleagues who want to live on the far out west side (not a fun place like Lakewood). My five minute work commute is priceless. Also, not sure about what it's like out the west side of the city, but the topology of the hiking areas to the east and southeast of the city are excellent whereas locations I've been to west of the city have been more in line with the flatness of the midwest. To each one's own, but the east side has some serious advantages for those looking, unless, of course, your comment was pure sarcasm and I failed the test.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Disagree. I moved here for work on the east side and can't understand my colleagues who want to live on the far out west side (not a fun place like Lakewood). My five minute work commute is priceless. Also, not sure about what it's like out the west side of the city, but the topology of the hiking areas to the east and southeast of the city are excellent whereas locations I've been to west of the city have been more in line with the flatness of the midwest. To each one's own, but the east side has some serious advantages for those looking, unless, of course, your comment was pure sarcasm and I failed the test.
I didn't say i don't want to live where I live, the opposite! But it is pretty impossible to deny that large swaths of the east side, probably the majority, are uninhabitable. Note, I am not talking about suburbs, I am talking about the city of Cleveland. Perhaps you haven't see everything there is here yet. I am assuming you do not live in Central, Kinsman, Fairfax, Glenville, Mt. Pleasant, Union Miles Park, Lee Miles, Slavic Village, Woodland Hills, St. Clair or Glenville. If you are in the city, you are probably in Larchmere, Little Italy, University Circle.

I am rooting for all these areas btw. I really want to believe in places like Slavic Village and Glenville particularly. I even have a soft spot for St Clair-Superior. But did not make sense to buy a home there.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:05 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Is there a masterplan for Cleveland's waterfront?

I understand there are major barriers due to infrastructure, but if there was a way for the city to develop the Burke Lakefront Airport, that would be a huge boon and could even be a mini Millennium Park type of project which would attract lots of downtown investment.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Is there a masterplan for Cleveland's waterfront?

I understand there are major barriers due to infrastructure, but if there was a way for the city to develop the Burke Lakefront Airport, that would be a huge boon and could even be a mini Millennium Park type of project which would attract lots of downtown investment.
I know Burke comes up a lot, but I think it would be a major flop if it were re-developed. It's just not really close enough to the rest of the "stuff" downtown and it's cut off from other neighborhoods like Asiatown by a highway. I think it's also a bit unfair because Burke does get used a lot and I believe that the airport is built on landfill specifically there to have been an airport. I think getting people to already existing Wendy Park would be better and doable. I thought I saw some article claiming the Browns may want to build a new stadium south of Progressive Field, thus freeing up the best lakefront space to integrate truly with the rest of downtown. This would be much better. It's a travesty having Cleveland Browns Stadium where it is, with so little usage.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:59 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,239,871 times
Quote:
I know Burke comes up a lot, but I think it would be a major flop if it were re-developed. It's just not really close enough to the rest of the "stuff" downtown and it's cut off from other neighborhoods like Asiatown by a highway. I think it's also a bit unfair because Burke does get used a lot and I believe that the airport is built on landfill specifically there to have been an airport. I think getting people to already existing Wendy Park would be better and doable. I thought I saw some article claiming the Browns may want to build a new stadium south of Progressive Field, thus freeing up the best lakefront space to integrate truly with the rest of downtown. This would be much better. It's a travesty having Cleveland Browns Stadium where it is, with so little usage.
Burke is really important for the big Downtown corporations so I doubt you'll ever see anything done w/ it.
A new Browns stadium south of Progressive Field would be awesome...free up that whole part of the lakefront and get the malls extended over the RR tracks and freeway.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:40 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times
Quote:
I didn't say i don't want to live where I live, the opposite! But it is pretty impossible to deny that large swaths of the east side, probably the majority, are uninhabitable. Note, I am not talking about suburbs, I am talking about the city of Cleveland. Perhaps you haven't see everything there is here yet. I am assuming you do not live in Central, Kinsman, Fairfax, Glenville, Mt. Pleasant, Union Miles Park, Lee Miles, Slavic Village, Woodland Hills, St. Clair or Glenville. If you are in the city, you are probably in Larchmere, Little Italy, University Circle.

I am rooting for all these areas btw. I really want to believe in places like Slavic Village and Glenville particularly. I even have a soft spot for St Clair-Superior. But did not make sense to buy a home there.
True --The few drives I've had through some of the traditional, run-down east side neighborhoods gives the impression that the city has simply given up. I don't know if that's actually the case..

Old 03-04-2021, 09:28 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
It's a travesty having Cleveland Browns Stadium where it is, with so little usage.
Blame the NFL for that, they wanted the stadium on the lakefront. I've heard that The Haslams want to move the stadium closer to the Downtown area so they can develop the lakefront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland