Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM

16 posts, read 36,694 times

Advertisements

I'm from the west side of Cleveland and contemplating moving out east because it would be a lot closer to my job. I was just wondering what people's opinions are of University Heights. The houses seem affordable, but property tax is high. Are there parts of University Heights that aren't safe? Do people think it's a good area or should I start looking elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 01:55 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsider27 View Post
I'm from the west side of Cleveland and contemplating moving out east because it would be a lot closer to my job. I was just wondering what people's opinions are of University Heights. The houses seem affordable, but property tax is high. Are there parts of University Heights that aren't safe? Do people think it's a good area or should I start looking elsewhere?
What draws you to UH in particular?

In terms of areas to avoid, I would say stay away from its western/northwestern border along Taylor Road and its northern border along Cedar Road. All of the other areas, though, are very livable.

One thing I would caution, however, is that right now UH is a part of a very troubled school district and if you have kids and are intending to use the public schools, I would consider looking elsewhere. However, if you're Catholic and/or intend to use the Catholic schools, Gesu, located in UH, is a highly-rated grade school. As a matter of fact, somewhere I once read that a higher percentage of UH residents opt for private schools than any other suburb in the Cleveland area. That should give you a little bit of an idea about the residents and the local public schools.

John Carroll is located in University Heights, and I'd say it's impact on the city is pretty tame compared to what I've seen from other universities. "Town/gown" relations are pretty good because a large chunk of the residents are either alumni of the school or professors at the school.

Other than that, what else would you like to know? What specifics?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,915 times
My husband and I just put down an offer on Tullamore between Jackson and S. Taylor. Do you think this is a safe area? What are some of the reasons to stay away from Cedar and S. Taylor?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,265 times
I used to live in the duplex on the corner of Farland and Brockway in Univ Hts, just around the corner from Tullamore. This was quite a few years ago, right after I graduated from John Carroll, so things may have changed, but this is what I noticed when I lived there.

Lots of rentals, and more people that didn't take care of their property. I don't mean just JCU students, either. The city actually passed a law a while ago that only so many non-related people can live in the same house. It helped them keep control of college rentals. I never had any problems though, and always felt safe. Don't know how much that has changed. I still have friends who live over on Channing...they've been there at least 25 years and aren't moving anytime soon.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 AM

155 posts, read 460,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam_wri View Post
My husband and I just put down an offer on Tullamore between Jackson and S. Taylor. Do you think this is a safe area? What are some of the reasons to stay away from Cedar and S. Taylor?
I think you will find a higher proportion of rentals in this area, which are not JCU kids, and this transient population can affect the neighborhood stability. I cannot speak specific to Tullamore though. Our first house was on Cranston Rd (one street over from Brockway). We moved after 5 years for more room and better schools. IMO it is pretty safe.
The tax rate is high, but the houses in this area are generally around 100K, so I would guess your tax bill is around $150/month. They still pick up your trash in the backyard (for now---they try to kill it every couple years, and the homeowners suddenly wake up and protest).

Old 04-06-2009, 06:10 AM

405 posts, read 1,214,334 times
University Heights is a great city to live in. The taxes are a little high, but the home values are fairly low due to the fact that the public schools are not considered top notch (although I contend they aren't nearly as bad as many say they are). Thus, if you don't have children, or you are planning on sending them to Catholic school (many residents send their kids to Gesu, which is a great school, or the Jewish redsidents on the east end of the city send their kids to one of the Jewish schools), then it is an ideal place to live. You won't be "paying" for the schools on the way in in your home price, so it's like buying a stock when it's low. The only direction it can go is up (if it moves at all). This also helps the taxes, as although the rate is a little high, you're paying on an undervalued home relative to suburbs which have perceived "great" schools (of which the opinion has nowhere to go but down). You will be very centrally located to many things. 10 minute drive to University Circle, about 7 to I-271, 20 to downtown, and also close to the Green Line rapid (20 minute ride to downtown). Tagret, Macy's, Whole Foods, Heinens, CVS, etc. all within walking distance of most locations in University Heights, and you're just a few minutes to Legacy and Beachwood Place. You'll see that the home values are lower as you move towards Cedar and Taylor, and highest right around John Carroll.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:19 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,813 times
We just bought in Shaker, but also looked in UH. The areas near and around JC are very nice and liveable. The only thing I would caution is the school system. However, I hear the issues are with the high school, and not really the elementary schools. I guess it just depends on how long you want to live there. UH is still a very good area for the most part.
Shaker has some very affordable housing now, and the taxes are pretty comparable to UH. The schools are better in Shaker. Beachwood has some affordable areas, cheap taxes and is relatively safe. I would stay as far east in Cleveland Heights as possible (from what I was told, east of Lee and south of Cedar)
Another area to consider is Lyndhurst. There is affordable housing off Richmond and Mayfield area, and the schools while still having some issues, are a little better than the issues they are having with the UH/CH school system. Mayfield Heights has a great school system, and some affordable areas too, but that might be getting a little too far east for you.
Good luck to you.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 PM

As far as CH goes, if you're south of Cedar, the further west you go the better (and more expensvie). Drive along Fairmount and you'll see what I mean.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:00 AM
CLF

22 posts, read 53,193 times
The best part of University Heights is west of Warnsville, east of Eaton and as close to Fairmont as possible (I wouldn't go more than a block north of Medowbrook)

It's not that the other parts of UH aren't pretty safe, they just have a lot more rentals (and/or the houses aren't as nice) In the area UH above, the houses are closer to shaker quality (just on a smaller scale)

Old 04-09-2009, 07:20 AM

Everything east of Warrensville is pretty low rental, other than a few streets which have some JCU students renting. The eastern edge of University Heights has a lot of orthodox Jewish families, which keeps the home ownership rate very high eastg of Belvoir. But, yes, the architecturally nicest homes in University Heights are in the Claridge Oval area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland