Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2022, 06:22 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times

Advertisements

I watched this WEWS story in dismay. A single mother of four children, apparently with limited employment skills, is homeless. And the problem is racism????? I suspect there are white single mothers facing very similar circumstances, although I wouldn't be surprised that race (or neck tattoos) may complicate any such mother's employment difficulties.

<< Cierra Hunter, a single mother of four, is among the faces and stories behind the statistics showing life for Black women and girls in Cleveland is challenging.

"It's difficult. The struggle is very hard. You just want to break down and give up," said Hunter.

Hunter, along with her children, ages 9, 8, 7 and 3, are currently homeless.

"Staying one night here another night there, that's stressful," said Hunter.

A lack of a support system, and difficulty accessing resources in the city, are just a few of the thing Hunter said are holding her down.

"Our goal is to continue to lift them up in Cleveland," said Taylor Barnes.

Barnes is with the YWCA Greater Cleveland.

"The intersection of race and gender is really prevalent in just about everything we do," said Barnes....

"$15 an hour, as great as it sounds, is not enough to live if you have a kid," said Matese.

With four children, Hunter hopes to soon have enough income to secure permanent housing for her family.

"To just have my own, not to bounce from house to house," said Hunter.>>

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...one-can-thrive

So many observations, so many questions: Where are the fathers of these children? Why does she have children she can't support? If we're going to ban abortions, even widely used chemical abortions, do we have a responsibility to support financially distressed mothers, even families, especially if the mother's health is at risk or the fetus will have disabilities?

I remember that one of the first things the Trump administration did was to cut funding for a successful program in Cuyahoga County that reduced unwed births among juveniles in the county. I don't know if the Biden administration has reinstated funding.

It's understandable why parents who work hard and struggle to support their children, and delay having children for economic reasons, would watch this story and cringe.

Does WEWS expect an employer to pay this woman the small fortune necessary to support her family, when it's unlikely her productivity would justify such a salary? Can our society with its many demands on financial resources make up the gap?

I wonder if WEWS has ever done a story about how much a $15/hour wage actually costs an employer, especially if family healthcare insurance, vacation pay, etc., in addition to employment taxes, are considered.

Children raised in poverty likely fuel the Cleveland crime and violence rates. Disgust with government support for individuals demonstrating little personal responsibility certainly fuels much of the opposition to government programs such as expanded childcare credits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 11:08 AM

194 posts, read 190,631 times
Cierra is likely not in the position that she is in because of racism. She's in the position that she's in because she lets losers...finish...in her when she presumably doesn't have the means, willingness, or skills to properly raise children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: