Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2022, 10:47 PM

392 posts, read 278,061 times

Advertisements

From what I understand, the observation deck on the 42nd floor of the Terminal Tower is only open on weekends starting in April and lasting through the Christmas holiday season every year. Before the attacks on September 11, 2001, but since at least when the observation deck reopened after Chessie moved out of the Terminal Tower in about 1986 the observation deck was only open on weekends then as well. The tower should have it's observation deck open on weekdays year round as well as it would make the deck an even more popular tourist attraction. So, does anyone here know why the Terminal Tower observation deck is only open on weekends and why it was that way between 1986 and 2001.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 01:41 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
The volume of Terminal Tower observation deck visitors is miniscule compared to the Empire State Building in NYC. I don't think it's ever difficult to book tickets for the Terminal Tower observation deck, which isn't always true for the Empire State Building in my experiences, at least pre-pandemic, and before the new deck at One World Trade Center opened. Tickets for the Terminal Tower observation deck are much cheaper than for the NYC observation decks, not surprising as there is much less to see in Cleveland. Lower demand and lower ticket prices inhibits the ability to open on weekdays.

During weekdays, the Hilton Bar 32 offers skyscraper views.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The volume of Terminal Tower observation deck visitors is miniscule compared to the Empire State Building in NYC. I don't think it's ever difficult to book tickets for the Terminal Tower observation deck, which isn't always true for the Empire State Building in my experiences, at least pre-pandemic, and before the new deck at One World Trade Center opened. Tickets for the Terminal Tower observation deck are much cheaper than for the NYC observation decks, not surprising as there is much less to see in Cleveland. Lower demand and lower ticket prices inhibits the ability to open on weekdays.

During weekdays, the Hilton Bar 32 offers skyscraper views.
The observation deck of the Carew Tower in Cincinnati was open to the public 7 days a weeks until the COVID-19 pandemic began in March 2020 despite not having the same level of tourism as New York City or Chicago. Furthermore, tickets were $6 in 2019 and 2020, $4 between about 2016 and 2018, and $2 for many years until about 2015. They were only paid in cash at the gift shop on top and traffic was probably similar or less compared to the Terminal Tower. Visitor traffic to the Carew Tower was likely similar or less compared to the Terminal Tower.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc1664 View Post
The observation deck of the Carew Tower in Cincinnati was open to the public 7 days a weeks until the COVID-19 pandemic began in March 2020 despite not having the same level of tourism as New York City or Chicago. Furthermore, tickets were $6 in 2019 and 2020, $4 between about 2016 and 2018, and $2 for many years until about 2015. They were only paid in cash at the gift shop on top and traffic was probably similar or less compared to the Terminal Tower. Visitor traffic to the Carew Tower was likely similar or less compared to the Terminal Tower.

I've never seen visitor statistics for the Terminal Tower. So I assume this is just your opinion. Based on my visits to both observation decks, I would be surprised if the Terminal Tower didn't have a significantly greater number of visitors even though open only two days per week.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I've never seen visitor statistics for the Terminal Tower. So I assume this is just your opinion. Based on my visits to both observation decks, I would be surprised if the Terminal Tower didn't have a significantly greater number of visitors even though open only two days per week.
So, what likely warranted the Carew Tower being open 7 days a week.

Old 11-24-2022, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc1664 View Post
So, what likely warranted the Carew Tower being open 7 days a week.

Tired of guessing. Nothing you have said convinces me that the Terminal Tower management has any motivation to expand Terminal Tower days and hours. That may change in 20 years if the city's population begins to mushroom due to climate change. I still wonder if there is a major event, such as a national political convention, if the TT observation deck hours are expanded. If not, it reinforces my belief that TT considers the observation deck more of a public accommodation than a profit center.

After the holidays, I believe the TT observation deck is closed for several months until spring, likely because of little demand.

Old 08-26-2023, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Tired of guessing. Nothing you have said convinces me that the Terminal Tower management has any motivation to expand Terminal Tower days and hours. That may change in 20 years if the city's population begins to mushroom due to climate change. I still wonder if there is a major event, such as a national political convention, if the TT observation deck hours are expanded. If not, it reinforces my belief that TT considers the observation deck more of a public accommodation than a profit center.

After the holidays, I believe the TT observation deck is closed for several months until spring, likely because of little demand.
The observation deck was open from 9 am to 5 pm 7 days a week in 1947. Tickets back then were 35 cents for adults and 20 cents for children. Shows you why the observation deck could be open on weekdays and during nighttime hours.
https://books.google.com/books?id=8N...and%20&f=false

Old 08-28-2023, 09:41 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Honestly I barely even hear about the observation deck. I knew it existed, but I thought it was only open to the public a few times a year for special occasions, not every weekend.

I've never seen any sign advertising it in Tower City. $5 isn't a bad price, but it's weird that tickets are online only (so $6.27 really, with fees).

It's nowhere near as high, but we've just gone to the top floor of the downtown library to take in the views. It is easily accessible, with large windows, and free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: