Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,039 times

Advertisements

I have heard mixed reviews about the area. Can someone be more specific what areas are bad? I am looking at renting a house on W 44th and Whitman Avenue, is this a bad spot? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,769 times
It is a mixed bag throughout the area. Mixture of professionals and poverty. Very active block clubs counter high rentals. I follow my gut, so I would have to spend a little time there at different parts of the day and night to see how it "felt". I know someone who lives right around there and have not had any problems at all, but 1/2 joking wonder if the watchful bulldog helps. Not sure where you will be working, but the money you save in gas not having to drive everywhere can be used for a security system to give you some extra peace of mind.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:48 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
Im not too familiar with specific areas of Ohio City. It has about average crime for the city of Cleveland, which happens to be way above the national average. What I always say for that area and the Near Westside is just be street smart and realize that its a very urban area and it has very urban problems. There are quite a few gangs in that area and there is major crime like murders and other things that happen. Its not close to the worst area in the city though.

That area is livable, but like I said Im not too familiar with specific areas. The schools are bad and there will be decay though. If you have kids I would think twice about moving there but if you dont then you should be fine in that area for the most part.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:41 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
I love Ohio City...have you been to that particular area yet, or are you just searching via internet??

Old 06-09-2008, 12:24 PM

217 posts, read 692,655 times
man ohio city is beautiful...of coarse things can happen, this is a big city...but ohio city has some nice loft style apartments, your right near downtown, the flats, westside market..its really a convient area..also, i'm a young dude myself, and i've never heard of any gangs in ohio city, i go through there routinely, its probably one of the most thriving, vibrant neighborhood in cleveland along with tremont...

Old 06-09-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir_Abdul View Post
man ohio city is beautiful...of coarse things can happen, this is a big city...but ohio city has some nice loft style apartments, your right near downtown, the flats, westside market..its really a convient area..also, i'm a young dude myself, and i've never heard of any gangs in ohio city, i go through there routinely, its probably one of the most thriving, vibrant neighborhood in cleveland along with tremont...
There are definitely gangs in or at least around Ohio City. The area just south of Ohio City has a lot of gang presence and areas around Madison Ave. also. I know this first hand but there was also an article on Cleveland.com about gangs in that area, and a few months ago they had a story of a shooting around W31st and the guy they interview who lived in the area said the area is infested with gangs.

However, yes Ohio City is one of the nicer and more vibrant neighborhoods in Cleveland.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
I was in Ohio City today and it just reaffirmed my love for it. Some of those side streets are gorgeous! I was at the W. 30 and just south of Lorain.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
I was in Ohio City today and it just reaffirmed my love for it. Some of those side streets are gorgeous! I was at the W. 30 and just south of Lorain.
Yeah, Ohio City has really turned into a really nice urban neighborhood. I went there a few weeks ago and looked around and a lot of the abandoned houses that were in the area just 5 or so years ago are all fixed up now and looking good. The houses in that neighborhood are still selling for over 170k.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:56 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
The houses in that neighborhood are still selling for over 170k.
At least. (though I guess they could get cheaper as you go west, away from the WSM) I've been looking at houses on line (something I do for fun) as far west as W 32nd. Most under $170k either need major rehab,(and those are rare) are a townhouse, or are small. (2 br.)

Old 06-10-2008, 05:45 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Its not close to the worst area in the city though.
No, but it is close in proximity to some of the worst areas in the city. I still have the feeling that people believe the stereotypes that the west side pales to ALL east side communities. Overall, pretty high crime in the area but livable. It has some really neat neighborhoods. And whoever said there aren't gangs in Ohio City, LOL! I can find pathetic myspaces to even back up those claims. Don't preach what you aren't informed about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland