Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraperez View Post
I'm coming in just 13 days so my questions will probably really start to be piling in on this board!

Why does everyone seem so negative about Cleveland? I know these boards can get pretty negative and can kind of scare new residents (like me!) away a little bit. What gives?

From where I'm sitting Cleveland seems like a great place to live. Of course it has its' poorer and more decaying areas . . . every city does.

Anyway, any help would be great. (And yes, I know about urbanohio.com - and I utilize that board too!)
It's gonna depend on where you live.

I was born & raised in a westside suburb. Moved away. Moved back to a westside suburb with my family. Couldn't be happier.

It's a nice place.

Cleveland "proper" is about as shady as shady get but I've driven through those area a handful of times in a 30yr time period. Most of the areas people are upset about are the nasty areas that have always been that way.

It's an ok area. If you are moving here for the right reasons, all will go fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:07 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Where should I start...The economy, unemployment, weather, sports, crime, decay, schools...

Those are reasons why people are so down about Cleveland. I think Cleveland is a great place though, and every place has its problems. Cleveland is constantly getting bashed by all these reports coming out saying that we are the dirtiest, most dangerous cities, highest dropout...and all the rest. All our sports teams get good but we never win the whole thing and that is a big part of it.

I love Cleveland and I always will though. We are just kind of going through bad times right now and hopefully in the near future things will start to improve. Cleveland is still a very livable place though, even in the city of Cleveland and almost all the surrounding suburbs and cities. I just wish Cleveland would start to improve again and we would be the place to be like Miami or LA or some place like that.
I agree with alot of the points you made.I think that Cleveland is a great city,but when you factor in all those other things it really hurts the city.Its seems like everything that can go wrong for Cleveland does.I mean the people there really do have a reason to be depressed.Eventually something good will happen.Cleveland is too large of a city and area I just don't see a never ending decline.One thing I do disagree with you on though is wanting to be like LA or Miami.Those cities do get alot of attention by the media and everything,but they are plagued by alot of the same things Cleveland is plagued by.They just happen to have better job markets.People move where jobs are.If Cleveland had as good of a job market as Miami or LA,the city wouldn't be losing people.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 AM

24 posts, read 78,718 times
One thing I don't really understand about Cleveland is why the lakefront doesn't seem to be more utilized. I know there is Edgewater Park, Browns Stadium, and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but from what I've read there doesn't really seem to be much else (in terms of expensive condos, etc.) What gives? Am I misinformed or has this area just not been very developed yet?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:41 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraperez View Post
One thing I don't really understand about Cleveland is why the lakefront doesn't seem to be more utilized. I know there is Edgewater Park, Browns Stadium, and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but from what I've read there doesn't really seem to be much else (in terms of expensive condos, etc.) What gives? Am I misinformed or has this area just not been very developed yet?
Corporate interests.

It's one of the biggest gaffes in the city's un-development. Cleveland is so fortunate to have such a large, beautiful resource that I think it's shameful not to make the Lake more accessible to the people of Cleveland. Sure, it's great if you have a boat, but how many people do? How many of you out there really feel that Lake Erie is available to you? It should be one of the features of Cleveland, instead of an afterthought.

Until the city redevelops the huge chunk of land currently known as Burke Lakefront Airport, I don't really see much changing. There's no other options between the Rock Hall and Gordon Park. Don't give me the lame argument about the Airshow and the Grand Prix either. Those TWO events aren't substantial enough to justify NOT developing that land into a lake front public park/neighborhood/business park. I don't care how much money they bring in. That's some of the most valuable land in the City of Cleveland.

If the city feels it needs a small corporate airport, make one in the gaping brown hole where the old steel mill stands.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
Twange, I completely agree on your last two posts. You couldnt be more accurate for your earlier post.

I also agree that they should to something with the Burke Lakefront Airport. Its a huge piece of land and it could be valuable for the city. I even brainstormed ideas for what they could do with it before. Anything from a park, to neighborhood, business district, amusement park, those would all be beneficial. Also I dont really see the point of Burke Lakefront anymore. We already have a number of other airports in the area and enough empty land in undesirable areas to build another one if we have to.

Another problem that the city is faced with is that the lakefront is disconnected from downtown. There is the railroad Tracks, and the highway blocking the lakefront from most of downtown. It was just poorly planned out when they did it. I remember they said they were thinking of knocking down that portion of the shoreway, and also moving the Cleveland Port to E55th street, but I dont know if either of those will be done.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:12 PM

My wife and I are actually heading up to Cleveland for a long visit with friends and family this week. I can't wait to drive/ride the rapid around and check out some of the changes over the past year. I'm very happy where I'm living now, but I'll always be a Cleveland kid. That's why it p*sses me off so much to see it struggle. For those of you thinking of moving there, that is is exactly what the city needs! NEW BLOOD

Terrible leadership in that city

Old 07-23-2008, 03:50 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I think this is a very accurate post. It's usually the people who've lived there a long time that see things that way. And for good reason I think. Many of us have been fooled several times already into thinking the city is making a comeback, when all it turned out to be was a one night stand It simply isn't productive to ignore the very real problems the city and region are experiencing right now. I'm sorry to say, but many folks who think everything is fine, either aren't paying attention or live away from the city and only go there for the occasional game or air show.

For a moment, let's leave thing's like weather and sports out of the discussion. Weather cannot be altered, and sports, while important to many, shouldn't be considered the only social barometer. And for the sake of this discussion, my references to the "city", is to Cleveland proper, not the suburbs(but of course they are related).

If you look at Cleveland with a long lens - say the last hundred years - you'll see that it's been slowly sliding down since the 50s, with a few peaks and valleys along the way. Consider this 50+ year slide which includes: several river burnings and other environmental issues, the gradual loss of the manufacturing and steel industries, the wholesale abandonment of most of the downtown and its inner ring neighborhoods in favor of excessive suburban sprawl, the complete failure of the public school system, the inability of the city to develop the Lakefront, and of course the city entering default in the late 70s. This unfortunate chain of events have all contributed in some way to what maybe described as "Cleveland's Dark Ages". There are now three generations of Clevelanders (counting the folks around at the start of the slide) who for the most part, have always seen the city as a place struggling for survival and respect. Cleveland isn't alone in this position: Detroit, Buffalo, Toledo, Erie, Youngstown and Pittsburgh are to some extant all going through this together.

Now, add to this the frustrating and repeatedly disappointing history of the city's sports franchises (something that Clevelanders take great pride in), the often gloomy weather and it shouldn't be surprising that there's often a negative, cynical and apathetic attitude prominent amongst the citizens.

All this being said, I personally think that Cleveland's inability or unwillingness to change or make adjustments, and the often low expectations from many of it's people has largely contributed to maintaining it's flawed profile. That statement might anger many, but I spent my whole life there until last year(I just turned 40), and IMHO the place needs a major infusion of un-jaded outsiders, to break the spell.
Absolutely true! Great post! I've spent a combined 30 years living in Cleveland and it's suburbs and decided that it was time to move out of state 2 years ago. Leaving Cleveland has been beneficial in many ways. Most of all, I am no longer jaded, negative or cynical but filled with happiness, joy and hope for the future.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:13 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
Quote:
My wife and I are actually heading up to Cleveland for a long visit with friends and family this week. I can't wait to drive/ride the rapid around and check out some of the changes over the past year. I'm very happy where I'm living now, but I'll always be a Cleveland kid. That's why it p*sses me off so much to see it struggle. For those of you thinking of moving there, that is is exactly what the city needs! NEW BLOOD

Terrible leadership in that city
Make sure you check out Ingenuity Fest downtown the weekend of July 25th-27th. You will be very impressed! Great fun for all ages, and brings out the best and the brightest in Cleveland. http://www.ingenuitycleveland.com/

Old 07-23-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Make sure you check out Ingenuity Fest downtown the weekend of July 25th-27th. You will be very impressed! Great fun for all ages, and brings out the best and the brightest in Cleveland. Ingenuity Festival Cleveland: Innovative Art + Technology July 25-27 2008 at Playhouse Square
I performed at Ingenuity in 2006! I've been to all of them except last year. But that's a good suggestion for anyone visiting this week!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 AM

24 posts, read 78,718 times
Quote:
All this being said, I personally think that Cleveland's inability or unwillingness to change or make adjustments, and the often low expectations from many of it's people has largely contributed to maintaining it's flawed profile. That statement might anger many, but I spent my whole life there until last year(I just turned 40), and IMHO the place needs a major infusion of un-jaded outsiders, to break the spell.
Well hopefully I can be part of that "major infusion" of us un-unjaded outsiders. Cant' wait to get there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland