Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 AM

59 posts, read 220,868 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about buying a house in Wadsworth and I was wondering what people had to say about the city.

I love the affordable (for Medina County standards) older homes and the low property taxes (compared to Cuyahoga and Summit Counties), but I have some concerns.

We are an interracial couple who plans on starting a family. Looking at the numbers, Wadsworth doesn't exactly have a sprawling minority population (black, hispanic, asian, etc.) ... Is racism or a racist mindset prevelant?

We're mainly looking for a community with great schools ... Wadsworth fits the bill there

Affordable housing ... again Wadsworth fits the bill.

But we don't want to be in an area where our kids will be looked at as outsiders or have to fight (maybe literally) to fit in.

We currently live in Medina and love it. Like Wadsworth, it doesn't have a huge minority population, but in Medina, there is a semblance of a black and interracial community. We just can't find a nice home in our price range to live in the city, so that's why we have shifted to looking in Wadsworth.

If anybody is familiar with Medina, while it is mostly white, it does have an area off of Huntington that has a significant black and interracial community. Is there anything like that in Wadsworth?

Also, what are the odds that Wadsworth starts becoming more diverse? It seems like a city with potential to attract minorities with its proximity to Akron and Barberton, good schools and lower housing costs (compared to Medina, Fairlawn, Copley, etc.) Is that a fair statement?

P.S. Before anybody says to look at Medina, Fairlawn, Copley, we already have. Fairlawn is just too expensive overall and Medina and Copley are too expensive for the homes we would want to live in. I was told to look at Norton, but it seems to lack diversity, like Wadsworth, and the schools aren't as good. Since my wife is working in Medina, but should start working somewhere in the west Cleveland area and I'm working in Canton, we want to be in the middle, our choices seem to be lacking. Also, we have ruled out Barberton and Akron because of the schools. Plus, since my family is from west Cleveland and her's in Elyria we want to try to stay as west of Akron as possible.

Last edited by TheCLE; 02-10-2009 at 01:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:42 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCLE View Post
My wife and I are thinking about buying a house in Wadsworth and I was wondering what people had to say about the city.

I love the affordable (for Medina County standards) older homes and the low property taxes (compared to Cuyahoga and Summit Counties), but I have some concerns.

We are an interracial couple who plans on starting a family. Looking at the numbers, Wadsworth doesn't exactly have a sprawling minority population (black, hispanic, asian, etc.) ... Is racism or a racist mindset prevelant?

We're mainly looking for a community with great schools ... Wadsworth fits the bill there

Affordable housing ... again Wadsworth fits the bill.

But we don't want to be in an area where our kids will be looked at as outsiders or have to fight (maybe literally) to fit in.

We currently live in Medina and love it. Like Wadsworth, it doesn't have a huge minority population, but in Medina, there is a semblance of a black and interracial community. We just can't find a nice home in our price range to live in the city, so that's why we have shifted to looking in Wadsworth.

If anybody is familiar with Medina, while it is mostly white, it does have an area off of Huntington that has a significant black and interracial community. Is there anything like that in Wadsworth?

Also, what are the odds that Wadsworth starts becoming more diverse? It seems like a city with potential to attract minorities with its proximity to Akron and Barberton, good schools and lower housing costs (compared to Medina, Fairlawn, Copley, etc.) Is that a fair statement?

P.S. Before anybody says to look at Medina, Fairlawn, Copley, we already have. Fairlawn is just too expensive overall and Medina and Copley are too expensive for the homes we would want to live in. I was told to look at Norton, but it seems to lack diversity, like Wadsworth, and the schools aren't as good. Since my wife is working in Medina, but should start working somewhere in the west Cleveland area and I'm working in Canton, we want to be in the middle, our choices seem to be lacking. Also, we have ruled out Barberton and Akron because of the schools. Plus, since my family is from west Cleveland and her's in Elyria we want to try to stay as west of Akron as possible.
We live about 7-8 minutes minutes from Wadsworth, but since there's practically nothing in the little town that we live in, we go to Wadsworth all the time. I don't see a HUGE amount of diversity in Wadsworth, but that certainly would not detract me from moving there. I would recommend Wadsworth 100%. Go for it and don't worry about other people; people are going to get to know you and your family. You're going to be fine.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 AM

59 posts, read 220,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
We live about 7-8 minutes minutes from Wadsworth, but since there's practically nothing in the little town that we live in, we go to Wadsworth all the time. I don't see a HUGE amount of diversity in Wadsworth, but that certainly would not detract me from moving there. I would recommend Wadsworth 100%. Go for it and don't worry about other people; people are going to get to know you and your family. You're going to be fine.
Thanks for the advice. We've actually decided on Wadsworth. It seems like a nice community (great schools). But I just hope our neighbors aren't freaked about seeing "black faces" when we have people over. But I guess we'll find out about that. We are moving into the older part of the city, our house is 101 years old. I'm hoping our neighbors don't have that old school, all minorities are evil, mentality.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCLE View Post
Thanks for the advice. We've actually decided on Wadsworth. It seems like a nice community (great schools). But I just hope our neighbors aren't freaked about seeing "black faces" when we have people over. But I guess we'll find out about that. We are moving into the older part of the city, our house is 101 years old. I'm hoping our neighbors don't have that old school, all minorities are evil, mentality.

I honestly think that you will be fine. Wadsworth is definitely a very family-friendly community, has good schools, a very nice library, shopping - everything that you will most likely need. We are all human beings looking for our dream, a place to call home and raise our family. I know that there are many people who feel that way and will welcome you and your family. I wish you the very, very best in Wadsworth! Welcome!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:44 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,400,567 times
I grew up there, and, if I weren't for that, I'd live there (we all need to move on and explore new things.)

About the only bad thing about it to me is a lack of decent restaurants (they all are geared more to the blue collar crowd), but Fairlawn isn't far away.

It's great to have a place like Ritzman's Health Store in a small town like Wadsworth, and if you need a good repair shop, try Knapps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland