Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:56 AM

89 posts, read 449,814 times

Advertisements

Alright, i've heard a lot of horror stories on these forums about the small city of east cleveland, and i want to know what the deal is with this town? can someone provide me with some crime stats? i lived in eastern cleveland on st. clair till the age of 12 since i was born (not a great area). does east cleveland really have one of the highest per-capita crime rates in the country? i remember my mom bringing me there to visit friends quite often, but i dont remember that much crime (but then again i was usually indoors, and my mom used to tell not to go outside or talk to anyone). so, is east cleveland just one big crime plagued ghetto or what? some input please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 PM

52 posts, read 178,239 times
YES!!!

You should be able to type in East Cleveland under the city search and get the info. It's one of the worst (if not the worst)cities in Ohio. The city unfortunately is crime and drug infested. I don't know anyone who purposely moves to East Cleveland. I know people who have died on the streets of "EC".

DO NOT MOVE THERE! Your mamma was right.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
East Cleveland is a rough city. Now its comparable to just turning some of the roughest areas on the Eastside of Cleveland into a separate city. Its the only suburb bordering Cleveland that would actually improved if it merged with the city of Cleveland.

Its about 96% black with a poverty rate of around 40%. The crime rate is one of the highest in the country for a city. It had 12 murders in a year with a population of only 25k. All the other crimes are well above the US average. Its correct city-data crime index would be over 1200 (4X+ the US average). Schools are horrible. There are close to entire blocks of abandoned houses and buildings. Its basically the equivalent of a denser, more urban version of East St. Louis. Sorry if that offended anybody, but it is the truth.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:09 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
East Cleveland has a high poverty rate and alot of crime, also many areas of the city are very run down and decayed. I was back in Cleveland last March though, and I never was really around East Cleveland but was suprised at how many very well kept neighborhoods there are. I'd say alot more of the city is run down, but for a small city of 25,000 people with all the crime and poverty the fact that there is well kept neighborhoods shows that there is people in the city that care about improving it.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 AM

89 posts, read 449,814 times
1200 index crime rate? ouch! I looked at the city data stats, and they did not look reliable, so i believe your estimate CLE440. Like i said i vaguely remember anything about the area, other then the fact the area looked VERY run-down. I also remember that st. clair was a very live (not in a good way) area. I have recently visited cleveland (eastside, my home area), and it looks horrible. i also visited youngstown (equally bad) and a small city called lorain, which looks kinda rough. By the way, I NEVER thought of moving there, I would like to live to see 23.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM

23 posts, read 69,033 times
i would not recommend living there to anybody it has to be the worst suburb in ohio

Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 27,247 times
E.C. IS actually the worst city in Ohio. Highest crime rate and high murder rate. While the crime rate is extremely high as the majority of citizens are unemployed living off welfare. Unable to get off welfare due to various reasons and lack of work within the area. City government is rumored to be mostcorrupt and takes graft in various forms but kickbacks from what few surviving business locations that survive with the problems that plague the area gain whatever for their contributions. Speed-zone traps abound while the posted speed limit changes almost every 2500 feet of paved street so that the city tries to collects money from the speed trap camera's scattered about at the bottom of hills, around curves, and hidden here and there a few feet from each and every change of speed zones (25 mph to 35 to 25 to 35 and back again to 25 mph.) Most of the tickets are never paid and the city has no way to really enforce collection as the civil violations are just for the 'tourists' unlucky enough to be traveling within the city corridors. I would recommend that you and your loved ones remain unfamiliar with this city and its leaders.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 AM

217 posts, read 692,622 times
i live in east cleveland its very poor out here

Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 AM

9 posts, read 43,268 times
All of you who talk down on EC ................Scr#w you it has fallen on hard times lately but there are still lots and lots of decent people there....

Old 01-13-2010, 04:59 AM

2 posts, read 27,247 times
Actually I am sure there are lots of decent people living, working, socializing and doing whatever they can to improve EC. Actually I know of several and I know very few people in that area. Few meaning only 25 or less citizens. The down-talk about the area does not reflect on the decent people who live, work, or even pass through the area. It does not reflect on the people who try and try to do their very best within the area. EC has lots of problems from its very beginning it gained a reputation of being corrupt due to political crimes and corruption within the city government. However, the government didn't really commit those crimes, but some of the government elected people did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland