Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 PM

51 posts, read 114,886 times

Advertisements

I like to hear from anybody that used to live in Cleveland what made them move was the jobs, snow. the people or crime. Please be honest and would you ever move back if you had a chance to.

Michael75065
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Better job opportunities elsewhere. And taxes, taxes, and taxes.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:38 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael75065 View Post
I like to hear from anybody that used to live in Cleveland what made them move was the jobs, snow. the people or crime. Please be honest and would you ever move back if you had a chance to.

Michael75065

I wanted something different from where I was born/raised. No don't believe I'd ever move back to Cleveland; crime is really bad, so is unemployment. Snow there didn't bother me; it was the summers with the high heat and humdiity I really hate. I would love to see a rebirth of the area but under the current administration I don't see that for Cleveland or any other place happening soon.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:36 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
I used to live in the Cleveland area, but moved away after college to take a job in San Diego. I basically left because I wanted to experience somewhere different than what I had grown up with. After a few years on the west coast I took a job in Chicago so I would be closer to my family in Ohio and also because Chicago is a cool city to live in.

I would have no problem returning to Cleveland some day. It is a very cheap and convenient place to live and has a lot to offer. It's a good bang for your buck type place. Despite what people say, the crime or schools are no worse than average for larger metro areas. The statistics for metro areas will back this up. The economy has not been good in Cleveland for a while, but it sucks just about everywhere at this point anyway. I think the most frustrating thing about moving back there would be the poor local leadership and excess negativity from some of the residents.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:40 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
I'm back in the Cleveland area now, but left back around 2002 and was gone for about 5 years until mid-2007.

There were several reasons why I left. One was for jobs and making money, mostly through family and relatives. Another was I just wanted to get away for a good amount of time to experience other places. So the main reason I left is just for getting a job since I couldn't find any here. It had nothing to do with the weather or anything else against the Cleveland area.

I've been back in the Cleveland area since mid-2007 and I'm glad to be home, but honestly the time away was good for me. In those years I got to experience living and visiting many other places (not just to do it though, I had reasons).

Old 07-19-2009, 11:38 PM

213 posts, read 697,892 times
Left two years ago after graduating college and finding a job out of state. I have since been to Raleigh, NC and now Dallas, TX.

Main reasons for moving:

* Cost of Living - the "cheap" cost of living in Cleveland is overrated and mostly BS. Sure, you can get a house for under or near $100,000 in a quite a few areas, but what EXACTLY are you buying? Probably a 30-50 year old dated 1500 sq. foot ranch/colonial/split in an equally dated neighborhood, or else something in or near an unsafe area. If you want an updated or new condo/townhouse in a desirable area (under 30 min. to downtown), it will cost just as much as most places in the U.S.

* Taxes - This wasn't actually a cause for me moving, rather more of an effect. Ohio has some of the highest taxes in the country (state, sales, AND LOCAL?!) After living in areas of states with much cheaper tax rates and much better standards of living, I'm sorry, but what a rip off! If I still lived in OH, my paycheck would be $400/month lighter than it is here in Dallas because of Ohio taxes.

* Weather - Needs no explanation

* People - Escape the pessimistic, bitter, blue-collar atmosphere in favor of a more vibrant yuppie scene

Last edited by Rumble; 07-20-2009 at 12:16 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 01:02 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
I moved from Cleveland to Chicago in the mid-'90s to accept a job promotion. My company was headquartered in Chicago, and all the really good job opportunities were located here. That, and I wanted to experience living in a bigger, more densely-populated city that had an energy and bustle and vitality that I often found lacking in Cleveland. And I echo the previous poster who mentioned the blue-collar vs. yuppie thing... I wanted to live in an upscale urban (as opposed to suburban) environment with lots of affluent, well-educated people who strive instead of settle. Plus, there's much more of a vibrant singles scene here.

As for whether I'd ever move back, I'm still trying to figure out the answer to that question. Time marches on, and as I get older and my situation changes (I'm in my late 40s now and semi-retired) I'm finding my priorities are changing also. Right now, with the fact that the foreclosure crisis has hit Cleveland (and the inner suburbs) hard, I'm actually toying with the idea of moving back, picking up a residential property dirt cheap, and paying all cash.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 AM

37 posts, read 127,697 times
I'm in the process of moving now due to unemployment.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:38 PM

51 posts, read 114,886 times
Sad what happening due to unemployment up here and I hope you don't have a expensive house up here thier hard to sell up here. Everybody is leaving Cleveland for a lot of reasons.

Michael75065

Old 07-23-2009, 11:12 AM

7 posts, read 12,638 times
I am from cleveland, I was born and raised hear. I plan to move to Atlanta in January because it is time for a change. It is getting pretty bad here with the crime. Usually crime would just be in major parts of Ohio Cleveland, Akron, etc. But not its coming to the suburbs. I was watch the news and a 4 year old was just killed last week. Someone broke into her home while people was home,and the robber shot and killed the child. you can not find a job here at all, so if you have one ,hold on to it. You can not go out and have a nice time without something going wrong. The economy is very bad but people are robbing people to get by. Thats why i am moving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: