Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:54 PM

24 posts, read 55,546 times

Advertisements

As a realtor and someone who has also lived in Shaker, is in the Heights all the time and also in Strongsville on a regular basis, I am pretty familiar with both. I always encourage relocation buyers to call and also stop by the local police department to really get a feel for what is happening. Since Shaker is geographically small, you can drive around it pretty quickly to get a feel for it. I always tell buyers to park, get out, talk to the neighbors, etc. to really get a feel for a neighborhood -- and do it at different times, mornings, evenings, weekends, etc. Shaker has one of the highest concentrations of highly-educated people in the country, and the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, CWRU, downtown law firms, etc. I think will always make Shaker a prime destination choice, so I would not say it's going down hill. The real estate market has a whole is really suffering, but then again, most places are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 AM

29 posts, read 99,747 times
Traffic assuredly worse in Strongsville? Strongsville has made significant infrastructure improvements over the past ten years. Many intersections and roads have been widened, so traffic isn't the bottleneck that it used to be. I never have any problem getting from point A to B in Strongsville! Now, I can't say that about Shaker Hts., with all the traffic, confusing intersections, and three lane run abouts! I would take Strongsville's traffic over Shaker Hts., any day!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,324 times
Cool go shaker

If you like Nascar, move to strongsville. You can drive everywhere you want to go. You "have" to. Love highways & orange barrels? Youll get your share all year long. Listen, there's old quality, charm, design, well maintained neighborhoods throughout all of shaker for almost all levels of income. The schools can't be beat. As a father of four girls whereas three have graduated, I'm satisfied. My eldest received a full paid academic scholarship, scored a 24 on her ACT the only time taking it & is in college. My second daughter graduated on time & is now married to a Marine & lives in Japan. My third daughter received enough scholarship money that she's now in her second year & has money left over. My last daughter is in the 12th grade & will be attending college next fall. For anyone who knows what sacrificing for your childrens best is, you would well serve your children to have them in the shaker community & educational system. I actually built my 5brm 5bath home there on one of the only lots left & love it. As for crime, it has no boundaries. Bad people do bad things.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:17 AM

23 posts, read 112,068 times
herb, you should be very proud of your girls. The success stories of your daughters should be an inspiration to families in EVERY city. Truly. However, there are success stories and sacrifices being had in EVERY city...including Strongsville.

Strongsville might not be your cup of tea but I am very proud to call it home. It is ridiculously safe (check out the weekly police blotter in the Sun newspaper...if you can call it "police blotter"), and the schools are great. There are lovely neighborhoods throughout the city. Sure, some are cookie-cutter, but there are plenty that are not.

There is no denying the beauty of Shaker, and indeed the schools are top notch. But please don't be so quick to write off Strongsville after only driving the 500 feet from 71 to the mall.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,041 times
I grew up in North Royalton and spent many years working at the mall throughout high school. Strongsville's neighborhoods are mostly "cookie-cutter" but it is a good place to live. That said, despite improvements at the Howe/Drake Road intersection the rush hour traffic really gets bottled up on Howe between Boston and 82.

I would definitely say that Shaker's streets are busier, but I don't think traffic gets bottled up as much.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,754 times
traffic is AWFUL in strongsville...coming from a "strongsvillian"

Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 PM

171 posts, read 446,651 times
Default I was in same boat

2 years ago. The list was Stongsville and Shaker Heights. You are right, when looking at total cost per month, you could get "bigger" house in Stongsville. The traffic in the two cities was not an issue. At rush hour, you wait an additional cycle through the lights. We decided on Shaker Heights. Y? We like the proximity to Cleveland and downtown. Last night we went to the CAVS game. It was nice to WALK down the street and catch the rapid. I just walked to Heinen's to get a salad for lunch. We enjoy going to Wade Oval Wednesday's during the summer, the Farmer's Market at Shaker Square, the Whole Foods Markets in the area and the culture and charm of Shaker Heights. I enjoy watching the kids WALK to high school and to the local elementary schools and not see rows and rows of busses. Check-out the Fernway area that is right smack in the middle of the city. Lot's of families with kids and the ability to have "play dates". It really comes down to life styles. Shaker - SubUrban/urban hip lifestyle, more trendy or Strongsville - Soccer moms and mini-vans.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:42 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,631,607 times
Both cities have their positives and negatives.. but when it comes down to it, both are solid places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland