Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 07:53 AM

17 posts, read 13,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
That and urban renewal in the '70's was not kind to Ohio City. Too many older buildings demolished.
Precisely. Same thing happened to downtown Painesville. The 10 million urban renewal project in the early 70's tore down several historic buildings on both sides of Main Street and by 1973 the New Market Mall and some other ugly buildings replaced them. Of course the result killed downtown (not singularly - there were other outside contributing factors) and hasn't rebounded since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:04 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
That and urban renewal in the '70's was not kind to Ohio City. Too many older buildings demolished.
At least that proposed freeway that was to cut through Ohio City was relocated further south. It would have meant the loss of lots more historical houses and other buildings, including my grandmother's old house.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:39 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
At least that proposed freeway that was to cut through Ohio City was relocated further south. It would have meant the loss of lots more historical houses and other buildings, including my grandmother's old house.
Yeah, that was fortunate. But it's too bad they built I-71 so that it made an urban island out of a unique and cool nabe like Tremont in the process.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:27 PM
on3

498 posts, read 384,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Yeah, that was fortunate. But it's too bad they built I-71 so that it made an urban island out of a unique and cool nabe like Tremont in the process.
I like going to the South Side Restaurant in Tremont, but I'm afraid of going there at night. We need more neighborhood watch efforts and policing in that area:

https://fox8.com/2018/10/02/tremont-...same-suspects/

https://www.cleveland.com/court-just...apartment.html

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...-victim-speaks

Tremont neighbors speak out after 2 people found dead in home on Scranton Road

Old 03-16-2019, 06:15 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
Precisely. Same thing happened to downtown Painesville. The 10 million urban renewal project in the early 70's tore down several historic buildings on both sides of Main Street and by 1973 the New Market Mall and some other ugly buildings replaced them. Of course the result killed downtown (not singularly - there were other outside contributing factors) and hasn't rebounded since.
Even as a little kid I realized that the New Market Mall was horrible. I had blocked that place out of my memory until I read this post. Lol

Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 AM

40 posts, read 41,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
Probably the biggest factor was the construction of the Great Lakes Mall. Remember that back in the 60's and well beyond, suburban sprawl and the attraction of mega-malls was considered the future, and historic preservation had not yet become as popular as it is today. Painesville was desperate to stanch the hemorrhaging of business from downtown and thought it had arrived at an attractive solution. At least they're now trying to salvage what's left and redevelop downtown, although obviously it will never be as vibrant as it once was, which, to be fair, is what happened to countless small towns across America. It just hit Painesville a little harder. Here's a link to some clips and pictures from that era that I posted (when I went off on a tangent on another thread! lol) that might be of interest

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ker-hts-5.html

Old 03-17-2019, 03:27 PM
on3

498 posts, read 384,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlyofpainesville View Post
Probably the biggest factor was the construction of the Great Lakes Mall. Remember that back in the 60's and well beyond, suburban sprawl and the attraction of mega-malls was considered the future, and historic preservation had not yet become as popular as it is today. Painesville was desperate to stanch the hemorrhaging of business from downtown and thought it had arrived at an attractive solution. At least they're now trying to salvage what's left and redevelop downtown, although obviously it will never be as vibrant as it once was, which, to be fair, is what happened to countless small towns across America. It just hit Painesville a little harder. Here's a link to some clips and pictures from that era that I posted (when I went off on a tangent on another thread! lol) that might be of interest

People back then knew how to shop in that mall at places like Newberry’s, Horne’s, and Higbee’s. Back when people lived their own lives instead of living vicariously through others. What a time that must have been to be alive!

Old 07-26-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
People back then knew how to shop in that mall at places like Newberry’s, Horne’s, and Higbee’s. Back when people lived their own lives instead of living vicariously through others. What a time that must have been to be alive!
We used to call Newberrys the "five and ten". My friends and i would check out the fish and animals in the back and inevitably, if i had the cash, I'd walk out of the with a chinese throwing star or record album. I miss that place.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlyofpainesville View Post

Good point. I was so excited a couple years ago when it was announced that a brewery was moving into the old citizens bank building just off the square. Heck, last summer there was a giant banner hanging on the wall stating brewery coming soon but of course nothing has happened and the building is still vacant with no signs of life. Concord didn't have any problem at all attracting Beerhead this year yet Painesville struggles to attract any business at all.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Cleveland media suffered 2 major deaths in the last 2 weeks. Just days ago, it was longtime newscaster Jeff Maynor from the 1980s era. He seemed like a decent guy who his peers really liked.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...ies-at-75.html

... and the week before that, we lost Fred Griffith, co-host of the legendary "The Morning Exchange," which was a model for ABC's "Good Morning America" -- with original host, David Hartmann, attempting to fill the classy/folksy Griffith on a national scale. I grew up, heading to school, watching The Morning Exchange. Fred was such a friendly face who really understood how to treat people with respect, something we've sorely lost these days.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...ies-at-91.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland