Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:18 PM

269 posts, read 779,165 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Connecticut, I always thought of the Browns fans as being some of the most tough and hardy bunch when it comes to NFL fans. Four teams stood out to me as having wild and crazy fans:

The Browns (Dawg Pound)
The Steelers (Terrible Towel)
The Packers (Cheeseheads)
The Raiders

I would say the Browns have the most loyal fans because they have always strongly supported the team, even though the Browns pretty much always suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I believe Browns fans were rated third in the NFL in a recently released poll. The top two were Packers fans first, and Steelers fans second. Although I also think that Pittsburgh has a solid football fanbase, they do have a HUGE frontrunner contingent. A lot of people who've never stepped foot in Pittsburgh claiming "family connections" as reason for being Steelers fans.

I can understand Packers fans being rated #1, but us behind Pittsburgh???? Yes they have a large fanbase, but as you said a lot of them are front runners. It is easy to root for winners. It takes a real fan to stick with their team through the lean times (which I feel are coming to an end). We should be rated #1 for our loyalty through all the heart ache, and the fact that we lost our team, fought for the name, history and colors, and got the Browns back. Like I said, no disrespect to the Steelers fans in WPA, but would they have the testicular fortitude to stick with their team like we have should they fall on hard times? I'm not sure they would. Perhaps we will find out very soon.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:14 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times

YouTube - Cleveland Browns Bottle Gate..
YouTube - Cleveland Browns Final Game in Municipal Stadium (no sound,but amazing)....and
YouTube - Denver Broncos fan fights Cleveland Browns Fans 2008.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:07 PM

425 posts, read 958,814 times
I'm a lifelong Jets fan, and I would say the loyalty of New York/New Jersey area Jets fans have to have them listed in the top 5, because they have been just as bad, if not worse then the Browns for just as long, all the while not only playing in the same town as the Giants, but the same stadium.

That said, I would rank Browns fans #1, for the mere fact that they brought back a franchise...something Montreal Expos fans, Quebec Nordiques Fans, Hartford Whalers fans and Winnepeg Jets fans could only wish for.

As a Jets fan, I feel for you guys with Eric Mangini, he is a well meaning coach and maybe he will get better (like Bellichek) but having Rex Ryan is a breath of fresh air following stoic Eric Mangini.

I actually bought the VHS tape years back called "The Browns Are Back" it was hosted by Drew Carey and I have grown to like the Browns and want to see them do well for their fans.

I'm an underdog fan in general living in NY I have always rooted for the secondary teams (Mets/Jets/Nets & Devils in what is a Yankees/Giants/Knicks & Rangers town) and have in a way adobted the Cleveland teams as my secondary teams, since their sports scene in general is the top dog when it comes to being underdogs.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:46 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
I'm still a Browns season ticket holder (since '84) and was at all three of those games. The last time my wife went to a game with me was "bottlegate'. She said' wow I wanta go to more of these games, they're a blast'. Browns got screwed by the refs and I did not throw my bottle but it was difficult not to. They made the fans leave stadium and then brought players back out to finish game. Browns fans have experienced such bad 'situations' in the last 20 yrs.
The last game when Browns moved to Baltimore was so morbid. Fans were taking seats out of the stadium and all the advertising was spray painted black as all the sponsors cancelled their advertising. When they tore down the stadium the Browns sold the Dawgpound bench seating for souveniers (which I bought), basically a 12 inch pc of plywood spray painted green with stencil numbers, insult to injury was they gave you a piece of paper with disclaimer saying 'this souvenier contains lead paint and may be hazardous...' They made money on the souvenier which they probably would have had to pay to take to landfill. Browns fans are so overdue for a winning team. I've already arranged to be on Panthers sideline(friend of Panthers coach) when they play Browns on Thanksgiving. I think Jake will have a good year, Browns OL is much better than Panthers and I think the team will suprise and be .500. I pick Panthers to win 4 games this year and Fox to be gone (by the way Cowher's 1st choice is to coach Giants). Holmgren and Fox have same agent and depending how Browns season goes, good chance that Fox could be next coach (assuming that Panthers tank, as expected).

Last edited by ZnGuy; 09-04-2010 at 09:09 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 02:39 AM

174 posts, read 698,239 times
I don't think you can put any fanbase above the Browns , It's a football city...Thick and thin that stadium will be jam packed every home game no matter what.

Unless maybe Colt Mcoy gets some snaps under center Man he's looked horrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland