Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:35 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,749 times

Advertisements

I bought a house on East 250th street in Cleveland earlier this year at a great price (less than $35k). My apartment lease was expiring and I got such a phenomenal price, that I didn't do too much research on the neighborhood.

It was a bit of a shock to come home at dark and see no-one outdoors once I moved into this house. I had previously lived in a noisier area. It was also surprising to see at least a dozen homes for sale or rent on East 250th between Lakeshore and Euclid Avenue. Several of these came on the market after I bought my house.

One of my neighbors wants to sell his home too, but is waiting for a few of the for sale signs on the road to disappear first.

My questions is, why are people moving out of this area? I am close to Lakeshore, and can see the lake every day. The Euclid library is great, the Lakeshore area close to East 250th will get a marina soon, they are renovating the Marcs's plaza near E 222nd and Lakeshore, and a number of other areas nearby are getting new stores.

Yet, from the property market, your would think that this is East Cleveland and people are dying to get out.

Do you think that the population of Cleveland and Euclid will increase again in the near future? Doesn't Cleveland's lower cost of living and proximity to a lake give it a good long term potential?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:57 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
It's called "fear of the dark."

Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 PM

708 posts, read 1,815,967 times
Im moving back to cleveland after being away from the area for 10 years....I used to live at watergate apartments back in the late 80's earlly 90's, Im sure by now the name has changed...Euclid was getting really bad back then...The watergate started letting people in the building that were, well, what can I say.....that building and the area started going down BIG time...My sister lives near 200th street and she says its really getting bad....I don't really know why because that once used to be a beautiful area.....

Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,256,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
Im moving back to cleveland after being away from the area for 10 years....I used to live at watergate apartments back in the late 80's earlly 90's, Im sure by now the name has changed...Euclid was getting really bad back then...The watergate started letting people in the building that were, well, what can I say.....that building and the area started going down BIG time...My sister lives near 200th street and she says its really getting bad....I don't really know why because that once used to be a beautiful area.....

Watergate Apts is now known as Northpointe Apts ... it's been completely remodeled and updated now. It's not too bad either, I keep a suite there for relatives and business associates to stay in ... it's alot cleaner now, and mgmt has "cleaned house" by ridding the place of "most of the a-holes" that once lived there.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,256,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post

I still find Euclid to be a largely appealing community ... integration has caused a "few ripples" in the city, but it's still a nice city to reside in.
Cleveland's proximity to Lake Erie is going to serve as a catalyst for continued and long term growth ... mark my words, it's already happening!
Not all large cities have an abundance of fresh water ... think about the water shortages in cities like Atlanta, Charlotte and Denver ... Cleveland IS beginning to experience it's latest renaissance.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Watergate Apts is now known as Northpointe Apts ... it's been completely remodeled and updated now. It's not too bad either, I keep a suite there for relatives and business associates to stay in ... it's alot cleaner now, and mgmt has "cleaned house" by ridding the place of "most of the a-holes" that once lived there.
You know thats good, because I still really like that area....Before we decided upon Shaker i thought about euclid....but it got a pretty bad rap on this site so I just shut up about it, lol.....

Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 PM

102 posts, read 198,908 times
i grew up on E.255th.....Euclid had a lot more to offer back in the day, and im only talking early 90's...

but yes "fear of the dark".....

But as far as im concerned cities and communities experience turnover no matter what. Rarely does an area in a diverse area remain the same for long.

Euclid is a different place to today than it was when i was a kid and im only 29.....Its still a nice place to live and cheap too.

Only thing crappy about it is that you don't have alot of the stores and shopping you would elsewhere but nowhere is too far really.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:00 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,160 times
About Euclid--

I grew up in a suburb on the far east side. When I was in junior high, a kid moved in down the street from me. He was from Euclid. He said his family was the last white family on the block when they moved. This was in about 2001. I'd imagine that it's only become less "diversified" since then.

So yes, "Fear of the dark."

Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
Pretty amazing how fast the black population in Euclid has grown in number and % while the white population has left at an equal rate.

2000/2006-08 Census:
White - 66.4%/49.2%
Black - 30.6%/47.8%

The poverty rate has also increased over 50% over this short time period. Thankfully the crime rate hasn't increased much.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 PM

Wow....I wonder what the census are now???? I don't really remember too much crime, but I do remember the increase in blacks, and it was like, all of a sudden,...I thought it was good since there were few of us there, lol....But then it wasn't so good...I saw gang graffiti on the hall stair well when I went to visit someone at the Horizan House (I'm sure that name has changed to)...and don't get me wrong, there were some beautiful blacks that I met there over the years, I make friends with everyone very easily...I stayed in euclid for about 10 years....It was when some of the younger guys who were not very friendly moved in,...then their friends moved in, ect, ect...that was when the change came in...not to mention we had a terrible manager who didn't care who came in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland