Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 AM

23 posts, read 89,748 times

Advertisements

I'm a New Englander, but wintered in FL before relocating to E.NC...New Bern in Jan. '10. Although I, too, do not like bugs, I realize that Palmetto bugs (roaches) come with the territory. That's why I equip myself with bug spray and do entries, windows, etc. I have not seen a snake yet, but am told by neighbors that they have found some in their garages. One was a copperhead. Apparently due to the heat, they must have been looking for water. So a good suggestion for folks is to limit leaving your garage open especially if you are near water. A friend of mine kayaks and yes, water mocassins are here. One big caution is not to linger under limbs or low hanging branches over water. My biggest problem has been ants....little tiny sugar type ants in the kitchen. So I've had to get into the cabinet bottoms and all areas on the floor, pantry, behind frig and be regular about it.

My Bichon stepped on a red ant hill yesterday and was bitten quite a few times. I had to squash off the ants from her since she had a couple dozen on her. Got to watch where one is going. I happened to wander too close to the river and it was on the bank. Another problem which is hard to spot readily is chiggers. They are mostly where there's a lot of trees. They are red, tiny...smaller than a poppy seed and leave a nasty bite that itches for quite awhile. Oriental, I heard, is loaded with them.

But all in all, I haven't had too many encounters. Just the few that I have, has made me more aware of what to look for and be aware of where I am. I love it here and have learned to adapt. No place is really free of something that you need to guard against. I'm here for the long haul so I might as well learn to live with the various critters and annoyances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 05:55 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Fire ants will be your biggest worries. You will notice them by their big hills. Stay away from them and you will be fine. And I am very doubtful you will see any snakes or big spiders in the beach or your rental place.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 PM

22 posts, read 94,947 times
Quote:
Thanks. I don't plan on hiking or going in the woods. Mostslt lounging on the beach, shopping, movies, and hanging around our rental house. So I don't have to worry about snakes or spiders there?
I'm just really afraid of them. I have been intersted in Jon hunting in Raleigh-Durham but their forum talks a lot about snakes showing up in pols garages, houses and even their dryer and toilet. Idk if I can live if it's really like that there

A snake in the dryer? Must be a sidewinder I guess. The one that inhabits the toilets must be the dreaded brown snake.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 PM

214 posts, read 822,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giffman View Post
You should seek professional help.
I agree, best if you stay put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina