Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 8,551 times

Advertisements

We are going to be visiting Wilmington for about a week in August. Anyone have any suggestions on where we should stay? Looking for a hotel, reasonable price, nice area.

Thanks everyone

Jenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM

21 posts, read 62,078 times
Good Luck finding a place to stay. I'd recommend Carolina Beach for more activities. Kure Beach for a quieter visit (except weekends near the pier). Its been about 4 years since I've stayed there so I wouldn't feel right recommending any of the motels now. The water was yucky brown back then, but the beaches are really nice now with the renourishment that took place according to my co-worker who was there a month ago. He stayed in Carolina Beach for the weekend and says the water was crystal clear there. He stayed at a friend's place so he doesn't know what is reasonable to pay. Please consider that we're near storm season and most place do not refund your deposit if the island gets evacuated. Coming from so far away you might really want to have a place reserved. That said, I'd probably come anyway and stay at a city Hotel the 1st night or so and drive around the beaches on Sunday evening looking for "vacancy" signs in either Carolina or Kure beaches.
Good Luck, and sorry for the borish answer.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:39 PM

135 posts, read 642,135 times
Are you looking to stay near/in the Downtown area or closer to one of the Beaches? The Beaches are a whole other can of worms depending on what activities you want to be near to etc, but downtown has a bit of a limited choice.

There is a Hilton Downtown, which is the only Hotel that is really downtown that I can think of off the top of my head. There are however, several very nice B&Bs. Most of these are in the historic districts to the south of downtown proper. Info about some of these can be found at Wilmington's Historic Bed & Breakfasts and Inns - Wilmington, North Carolina - Bed & Breakfast Inns ONLINE - Travel * Lodging * Bed and Breakfast * Country Inns / Wilmington Bed & Breakfasts and Inns or by perusing the web. I think you can even google map "B&B wilmington NC" and come up with about a dozen. Several of the B&Bs are really just very small, non-chain, hotels for the most part, like Clarendon Inn.

Outside of downtown proper there are several chain hotels down Market. Most of these are catering to student's families that will be coming in during the second and third week of august to help their kids move in. Prices will be jacked up because of this.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 8,016 times
Hi Jenny,
So good to hear that you will soon visit Wilmington & NC's Cape Fear Coast! In the spirit of full disclosure, I work for the Wilmington-Cape Fear Coast Convention & Visitors Bureau. There are many nice hotels, B&Bs and rental properties to choose from, in all price ranges from the river to the sea. Here's a link to our Accommodations page with links to every hotel, inn, B&B, rental property, etc: Lodging | Wilmington, NC and the Cape Fear Coast Just select which area you are interested in: Wilmington, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Wrightsville Beach.

Here's another link to a page with specials and packages: Specials & Packages | Wilmington, NC and the Cape Fear Coast (http://www.capefearcoast.com/specials - broken link)

And here's a page with last-minute hotel deals (updated each Wednesday): www.sunnysavers.com

And, finally, here's a link to our online event calendar Upcoming Cape Fear Coast and Wilmington, NC Events | Wilmington, NC and the Cape Fear Coast and to our online visitors guide: 2010 Official Visitor's Guide - Cape Fear Coast, NC - Powered by Netbookpro - 3D Page Turning eBrochures.

These links will help you plan what to see and do while you are in Wilmington & NC's Cape Fear Coast. We hope you enjoy your visit!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM

646 posts, read 1,507,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMacon48 View Post
Good Luck finding a place to stay. I'd recommend Carolina Beach for more activities. Kure Beach for a quieter visit (except weekends near the pier). Its been about 4 years since I've stayed there so I wouldn't feel right recommending any of the motels now. The water was yucky brown back then, but the beaches are really nice now with the renourishment that took place according to my co-worker who was there a month ago. He stayed in Carolina Beach for the weekend and says the water was crystal clear there. He stayed at a friend's place so he doesn't know what is reasonable to pay. Please consider that we're near storm season and most place do not refund your deposit if the island gets evacuated. Coming from so far away you might really want to have a place reserved. That said, I'd probably come anyway and stay at a city Hotel the 1st night or so and drive around the beaches on Sunday evening looking for "vacancy" signs in either Carolina or Kure beaches.
Good Luck, and sorry for the borish answer.
August starts to clear out school is back in session in many areas of the state so finding a place is not that hard.Especially down near the brunswick county beaches. Holden ocean isle or sunset beach even oak island closer to wilmington will have plenty of rentals starting mid Aug.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 13,960 times
Default Hotel accomodations in Wilmington

Hello,

I am taking a spontaneous road trip to Wilmington. I am leaving tomorrow and will probably stay in the area for a couple days. I was just browsing cheap hotel accomodations and I came across the Travelodge on Market St., America's Best Value Inn on Market St., and Baymont Inn and Suites on College Rd. Do any of ya'll have any knowledge about these hotels? Are they in a safe area? While I realize these hotels aren't the Taj Mahal, are they ok places to stay (meaning they're not roach infested, hole-in-the-wall hooker hangouts). Amenities are not important to me, since the vast majority of time will be spent sight-seeing.

Speaking of sight-seeing, this is actually my first time to your city. Are there any places I need to see while I am in town? I was thinking about checking out the nearby beaches. Which beaches do ya'll recommend and why? Are there any inexpensive hotels right near the beach that are worth possibly staying at?

I know there are a LOT of questions, but if anyone could help me out I'd be most grateful!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:14 AM

11 posts, read 25,832 times
I would not recommend the America's Best Value Inn on Market St. The location is good, but the place has a reputation for being a little crime-infested. I would personally steer clear of any Market St. hotels and try to go College Ave. and more Eastern Wilmington.
As far as the beaches go, Wrightsville Beach is great, but this time of year is very crowded. Parking is $2 per hour IF you can find a spot. You could venture down to Carolina Beach/Kure Beach or even possibly Brunswick Co. beaches if you have the time.
There is a lot to do downtown...go to the visitor's center at Water and Market St. and pick up some literature on things to see. If you have the time, Southport is a quaint little town worth seeing and the drive is nice and scenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina