Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 AM

15 posts, read 53,618 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to purchase a house in the Camp Lejeune area very soon. We've found a great new house in Maysville that we really like, but it's about 35-40 minutes away from the 172 gate. We're not sure if other Marines/military families would want to purchase this house when we go to resell it 5 years down the line. There are many reasons why WE like it, but we're afraid of losing money on it in the long run. Plus, Maysville houses don't sell for nearly as much as Jville houses.

We've also found a great house off Piney Green (same price as the Maysville house) but haven't been able to actually see what the house will look like (and won't) because it's not built yet. So, we're very undecided.

Soo.. Is Maysville too far of a drive to Camp Lejeune everyday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 PM

245 posts, read 766,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddo819 View Post

Soo.. Is Maysville too far of a drive to Camp Lejeune everyday?
I'd say so, but that's just my opinion. Heavy traffic around the gate might add even more time to the commute. Also, it's about a twenty minute drive to J-ville or Swansboro for shopping. Maysville only has one small grocery store (Piggly Wiggly), a dollar store, a couple of gas stations, and a handful of fast food places.

If a large chunk of land came with the Maysville house, I could see maybe buying it for the elbow room. If the house lot is just a normal size then I can't see the point in stranding yourself way out in Maysville for 5 years. For what it's worth, I think you'd be better off looking in the Piney Green or Hubert area. Good luck with the search.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:30 PM

15 posts, read 53,618 times
Thanks for the advice!
Do you take the 172 gate often? My husband takes the Piney Green gate everyday, so we're not sure how heavy the traffic is at the 172. True, it would be a lot faster to live in Hubert, but the only good houses we've seen over there seem to be cramped together. We're looking for a good size backyard around .4+ acres.. Which is about the size of the backyard in Maysville.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 PM

245 posts, read 766,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddo819 View Post
Do you take the 172 gate often?
Nope... but I do end up driving between Maysville, Jacksonville, and Swansboro fairly often. If you do decide to buy the house in Maysville, there is a shortcut that might shave a little time off your commute. If I remember rightly, it goes: Belgrade-Swansboro Rd. to Riggs Rd. to Old 30 Rd. which then turns into Rocky Run Rd. Rocky Run should join up with Piney Green Rd. just before it hits Hwy 24. At least I think that's how it goes. Good luck with the house hunting.

Last edited by Nunyabiz86; 07-30-2010 at 05:54 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 11:35 PM

21 posts, read 61,974 times
Diddo, you can probably count on burning alot of gas living in Maysville. In addition to commuting to work, you would likely be going back to either Jacksonville or up to New Bern a couple or few times every other day or so just to eat out or buy something at a hardware store or Walmart. Notwithstanding, if you have school-aged children, well, eh, er, you might consider home-schooling as there are no private schools close by, and, uh, well, the public schools on both sides of the county line are not as well funded as the base schools if you get my drift. Construction on the by-pass should be starting soon. It is probably too soon to tell what impact the new hwy will have on the sleepy little bedroom community. I suspect we'll see more tract housing popping up on both sides of the river in tandem with the new road. If so, then people like you could play an important role in renewing the community's spirit, direction, and peace. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina