Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 AM

168 posts, read 494,635 times

Advertisements

What to lean towards, what to stay away from ANY info at all, I'd like to have some idea before I go down there at the end of the week. (I wish The Pointe at Wimbledon was on this list, but sadly they have none available )

Meridian Park
Arlington Village
Clubway Apartments
Brookfield at Lynndale
Pinebrook
Eastbrook
Stratford Arms
Ridgewood Place
Signature Place
Tar River Estates
University Medical Park
Bradford Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 AM

451 posts, read 1,914,803 times
I am not really familiar with many of the apartments you listed, other than I think Meridian Park is pretty nice, but I would stay away from Tar River Estates. That complex more than likely would be full of students and therefore would be party central.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:46 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKIE27 View Post
What to lean towards, what to stay away from ANY info at all, I'd like to have some idea before I go down there at the end of the week. (I wish The Pointe at Wimbledon was on this list, but sadly they have none available )

Meridian Park
Arlington Village
Clubway Apartments
Brookfield at Lynndale
Pinebrook
Eastbrook
Stratford Arms
Ridgewood Place
Signature Place
Tar River Estates
University Medical Park
Bradford Park
Tar River and Stratford are both primary student housing. Some of those apartments sounds familiar, so that could mean others are student housing.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
Jackir aren't you moving here with your family? Is there a reason you are looking for at vice a home? I understand apt living in a more urban enviroment but in Greenville for the most part Apartments fall into two categories.

1. students

2. Section 8/HUD housing

Old 08-03-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Jackir aren't you moving here with your family? Is there a reason you are looking for at vice a home? I understand apt living in a more urban enviroment but in Greenville for the most part Apartments fall into two categories.

1. students

2. Section 8/HUD housing
IIRC, they are moving to an apt temporary until their house gets finalized. There are a few more mature apartment complexes. The majority are those two. But, for example, I wouldn't put med students apartment complexes into those two categories.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:46 PM

Yes, I am moving with my family and we do want a house...eventually. My dad got a job in Rocky Mount and our house in NJ isn't sold yet and there really isn't a way for use to swing a house in NJ AND a house in NC, at least not the kind of house we want in NC. And it's not like we can wait for another job to come around, since there is little chance of us getting another offer like we have received. Rent to buy wouldn't be out of the question, except for the fact that we have no time at all, we need to be LIVING there by the 15th of the month. As long as nothing crazy happens we plan to go down and look Thursday. We are anticipating needing this place for about 6 months, give or take. There is so much to do, we are going crazy, and unfortunately the craziness probably won't end for a while, hopefully it will all be worth it.

P.S.- What is considered a "bad" high school? We are hoping to get a place in the South Central district which I saw on our very first visit back in May, but we understand that might not be possible.

Edit2: We obviously don't want Sec8 and would like to avoid students when possible, but we understand there will be some students in most Apt. Complexes. This is a temp. solution so it doesn't need to be perfect, but we don't want to be afraid to walk outside/ be in the middle of the ghetto.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKIE27 View Post
Yes, I am moving with my family and we do want a house...eventually. My dad got a job in Rocky Mount and our house in NJ isn't sold yet and there really isn't a way for use to swing a house in NJ AND a house in NC, at least not the kind of house we want in NC. And it's not like we can wait for another job to come around, since there is little chance of us getting another offer like we have received. Rent to buy wouldn't be out of the question, except for the fact that we have no time at all, we need to be LIVING there by the 15th of the month. As long as nothing crazy happens we plan to go down and look Thursday. We are anticipating needing this place for about 6 months, give or take. There is so much to do, we are going crazy, and unfortunately the craziness probably won't end for a while, hopefully it will all be worth it.

P.S.- What is considered a "bad" high school? We are hoping to get a place in the South Central district which I saw on our very first visit back in May, but we understand that might not be possible.

Edit2: We obviously don't want Sec8 and would like to avoid students when possible, but we understand there will be some students in most Apt. Complexes. This is a temp. solution so it doesn't need to be perfect, but we don't want to be afraid to walk outside/ be in the middle of the ghetto.
The monthly rent will tell a lot. Also, the majority of apt complexes around the main campus are student housing. There seem to be some nice complexes around the medical school. That is also the "right" side of town when it comes to driving to Rocky Mount everyday. I would assume the majority of med students have partying last on the activities they do.

I would think if you call the property managers, they could tell you the typical demographic of the residents.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
how much are you looking to pay in rent. You can likely rent a small place for what you'd end up renting a decent apt for.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM

That or a condo. You could probably find a good deal, given the current economy.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 AM

As far as rent we are pretty open, again we don't want to go overboard since we don't plan on staying. Our max would probably be $800ish atm , since we still have to pay all the expenses on the NJ house.

The only things we would say absolutely not to atm is Section 8/ghetto areas and year leases where you have to pay out the rest of your lease to get out of it. We don't mind loosing our Security deposit or even a few months rent, but if we have to leave in 5 or 6 months let's say, paying 6 or 7 months rent PLUS the loss of a Security deposit is way too much of a hit. But we are pretty much open to anything else.

And I wish the economy would stop people from renting the good apartments!!! Most of the professional(ish) complexes I called either are completely out of apartments, or they have one left that we have to hold our breath that it is still available Thurs. or Fri.

Last edited by JACKIE27; 08-04-2010 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina