Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,355 times

Advertisements

How would you compare the OBX to
1) The Crystal Coast
2) Emerald Island

Most specifically in terms of waves and water temp.
What I like about the OBX are the waves...when I went to Myrtle Beach...the waves were MUCH less.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 02:02 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,289 times
Hatteras (The Point) north will always have cooler/colder waters than Crystal Coast.

Here's a classic example of water temperatures in January. Note the warmest waters reach into raleigh bay (Between cape Hatteras and cape Lookout)

Here's a classic example of what occurs around mid-April every year. Note the "L" shape out in the Gulf Stream area. That's a warm water eddy

Here's an image of mid-summer water temperatures. Note the white and pink combined areas-That's cloud interference. Also note that the warmest waters are in Pamlico Sound.

And here you see at the start of the last Qtr. of the year everything returning back. Note how smeary the colors are. This image shows the effects of a strong northerly wind.

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 09-08-2010 at 03:03 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 06:09 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,075 times
Smile Some thoughts on waves heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
How would you compare the OBX to
1) The Crystal Coast
2) Emerald Island

Most specifically in terms of waves and water temp.
What I like about the OBX are the waves...when I went to Myrtle Beach...the waves were MUCH less.
Waves dynamics are pretty complex, and I am no expert, but from what I have seen wave heights are generally the highest on steep beaches or when there is an offshore sandbar to give them a boost.

If I had to guess, I would say waves are probably smaller in Corolla than they are on Hatteras Island.

By the same token I find the waves at Third Street beach larger than the ones just to the east of the Point at Emerald Isle.

The topography of the beach just to the east of the Point basically is a very gentle slope while Third Street seems a little steeper.

Then of course winds are a factor.

We can have some great waves on the Crystal Coast as these pictures of surfers show, but the water can also be as calm as a bathtub at times.

It just depends. If you scroll through the posts on my Crystal Coast Life blog, you can see the water at the beach in all sorts of states.

It can be everything from stirred up to hardly moving.

I might guess the Outer Banks has bigger waves in general because they generally have more wind, but that is just a blue sky guess.

You can look at the surf forecasts. This is one for Emerald Isle, and this is one for Hatteras Island.

On this particular day, both areas have the same 1 to 2 ft surf forecast. The water temperature is definitely cooler on the Northern Outer Banks.

Last edited by dsobotta; 09-08-2010 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 09-09-2010, 05:23 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,289 times
Bogue Banks waves will always be in a state of flux in terms of height, break and location for two main reasons. The dominate current flow comes from Cape Lookout. The dredging of Beaufort Inlet Channel-Both in terms of depth and length affects current flow, sand flow and waves.
Bogue Banks is a renoursihed beach. Sand is constantly being pumped onto the beach at one place or another at one time or another. The Dear Lord constantly reclaims the sand. Inshore berms are constanly being formed, destroyed and reformed. As a result-Wave action is always in a constant state of flux.

One other point-Wave action depends on wind direction. Bogue Banks is a east/west beach. For the most part Hatteras island is a North/South beach. A wind that will lay the surf down in Bogue Banks can kick it up in Hatteras (and vice versa).

Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 PM

77 posts, read 238,239 times
I can almost feel the wind and hear the surf when I read your posts. You all are SO blessed to live in the area.

Hudlander, I saw your post on sufing lessons. No you're not to old! Have fun learning how. Be careful though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina