Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:35 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,491 times

Advertisements

Hiya folks!!!
I think I mentioned in a couple of posts of a great place to head to for a day trip to the beach! I did make a minor boo-boo so I wanted to clarify.

There is a great spot in FORT FISHER (I previously mentioned it as "Kure Beach" although you drive through Kure to get to Fort Fisher..but anyway) that has a huge parking lot (no meters, no parking fees) with a public restroom/changing rooms and a snack bar.

I actually drove down there yesterday for the Fourth of July and although I saw some of the public beach access spots filling up rather quickly, the parking lot I am referring to had PLENTY of parking! Most of those public beach access spots don't have public restrooms so it is a pain trying to find a place that does.

As you head down to I-40 east to the coast, follow the signs for Carolina/Kure Beach, but most specifically, Fort Fisher Aqurium. Its about 22 miles away from Wrightsville, but definately worth the trip! You pass through a row of beautiful beach homes and some random (never busy!) restaurants of places to eat. Once you drive into Fort Fisher, there is a musuem on your right and a great wooded area to picnic at in some shade (alot of people bring hammocks to hang in the trees). Keep going! Take a left onto Loggerhead Road. The parking lot is there on your left!
They also have picnic tables and grills as well.

The beach yesterday was perfect except for the floating kelp everywhere. It must have storm recently because it was all over the water. Other than that, we enjoyed the 84 degree weather and the fabulous sunburns we discovered we had on the drive home...oh vey!!!

Just thought I would mention this great place since I know one of the biggest complaints of Wrightsville beach was you had to pay for parking (alot of meters) and there was never anyplace to change or public restrooms. Of course, there's also the Fort Fisher Aquarium right next door if you want to get out of the sun for a bit!

Enjoy your summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 07:42 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,967,597 times
Thank you so much for posting this!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 PM

104 posts, read 403,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Hiya folks!!!
I think I mentioned in a couple of posts of a great place to head to for a day trip to the beach! I did make a minor boo-boo so I wanted to clarify.

There is a great spot in FORT FISHER (I previously mentioned it as "Kure Beach" although you drive through Kure to get to Fort Fisher..but anyway) that has a huge parking lot (no meters, no parking fees) with a public restroom/changing rooms and a snack bar.

I actually drove down there yesterday for the Fourth of July and although I saw some of the public beach access spots filling up rather quickly, the parking lot I am referring to had PLENTY of parking! Most of those public beach access spots don't have public restrooms so it is a pain trying to find a place that does.

As you head down to I-40 east to the coast, follow the signs for Carolina/Kure Beach, but most specifically, Fort Fisher Aqurium. Its about 22 miles away from Wrightsville, but definately worth the trip! You pass through a row of beautiful beach homes and some random (never busy!) restaurants of places to eat. Once you drive into Fort Fisher, there is a musuem on your right and a great wooded area to picnic at in some shade (alot of people bring hammocks to hang in the trees). Keep going! Take a left onto Loggerhead Road. The parking lot is there on your left!
They also have picnic tables and grills as well.

The beach yesterday was perfect except for the floating kelp everywhere. It must have storm recently because it was all over the water. Other than that, we enjoyed the 84 degree weather and the fabulous sunburns we discovered we had on the drive home...oh vey!!!

Just thought I would mention this great place since I know one of the biggest complaints of Wrightsville beach was you had to pay for parking (alot of meters) and there was never anyplace to change or public restrooms. Of course, there's also the Fort Fisher Aquarium right next door if you want to get out of the sun for a bit!

Enjoy your summer!
We went to Kure Beach last Thursday and the water was PERFECT! We also went today and like you said, there was kelp everywhere. All along the beach and lots of it in the water. It didn't stop my husband, along with many others to go in the water, but the water was too rough for me. I love Kure Beach and would love to live in one of the colorful beautiful homes they have.

We didn't park in the parking lot but I saw it last time when we went to the aquarium. There was plenty of parking. We parked in the smaller lots with the public access.

It's a great place to take a day trip. We also got a very nice tan!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
everyone knows about my secret spot NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

just stay to the left so you dont get near the rocks

I gotta find some parking lot closed signs now.. hehe just kiddin

Old 07-22-2007, 12:44 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,938 times
Planning my first family trip to the beach. 2 adults, 3 kids under 6, and one pale-white grandma. I haven't been to an east coast beach in years. Fort Fisher sounds great for all of the reasons you've listed here: 1) public parking 2) public bathrooms 3) aquarium 4) shady picnic areas.

But I do have one question: Does Fort Fisher have any rental stands where you can rent boogie boards, beach umbrellas, etc? I'd prefer not to have to buy all that stuff and lug it with me if I could just rent for 1/2 a day.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:02 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,959 times
That is our favorite day beach too! Also, dogs are allowed on that beach so our 6 pound fur baby enjoys her day as well!

Old 07-22-2007, 05:29 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
Planning my first family trip to the beach. 2 adults, 3 kids under 6, and one pale-white grandma. I haven't been to an east coast beach in years. Fort Fisher sounds great for all of the reasons you've listed here: 1) public parking 2) public bathrooms 3) aquarium 4) shady picnic areas.

But I do have one question: Does Fort Fisher have any rental stands where you can rent boogie boards, beach umbrellas, etc? I'd prefer not to have to buy all that stuff and lug it with me if I could just rent for 1/2 a day.
Afraid not. There might be some rental shops up the way, but for the most part, I dont know of any place that rents those. There are several places you can stop at to buy them. I suggest hitting up a kmart or walmart.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:05 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,611 times
According to their web site, dogs aren't allowed on the beaches. Are there any day trip beaches that do allow dogs on the beach in summer?

Old 07-22-2007, 07:57 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
For rental stuff, you can stop by WINGS In Carolina Beach and get beach supplies pretty cheaply, there are NO rental places there and no stores in Kure Beach. Dogs are allowed on Kure beach from October 1 through March 31Wrightsville beach and Carolina Beach allow leashed dogs in the off season (Sept-May). Kure Beach NC - FAQ (broken link)
Kure beach is beautiful, and not really "remote" because it's right next to Carolina Beach, but there isn't anything there. I don't like the swimming there much because of sharp drop offs and stronger currents than on some of the barrier island beaches (but it is swimable). The water tends to be choppier.

Whatever you need, pick it up in Carolina Beach before you get to Kure.
Also, Carolina Beach state park is right there in Carolina Beach and is very nice if you like to camp, but it is on the intercoastal side, not the ocean side. The aquarium is nice, but not a day trip. It's relatively small and takes about an hour to get through. Taking the ferry to Southport from Fort Fisher is a nice 1/2 day trip from the area.

Wrightsville also has public beach access, restrooms and showers.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:06 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,938 times
Thanks for the info everyone.

lamishra - Can you clarify the swimming/current comment? I doubt any of my family, me included, is going more than waist deep into the water. Wrightsville seems ever popular though that's the reason I was considering skipping it for our first visit to take off some of the crowded pressure.

As far as stuff being there. All I need is a place to park, some toilets, a clean sandy beach with wade-able water, and maybe a couple of restaurants though we're planning to pack our own food. I thought the aquarium being close would be a good mid-day diversion after lunch to break up the day or to visit if the weather turns sour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina