Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:30 AM

12 posts, read 36,307 times

Advertisements

Anybody familiar with the Springmill plantation near Calabash? Is the community finished? If anybody can shed some light, or recommendations? I am considering retirement in about a year or so and just trying to narrow my search. The prices look pretty good, I was wondering what there HOA fees are and what you get, stuff like that. guess i could contact them directly, but nice to get other opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM

12 posts, read 51,248 times
I am familiar with the development as I am new homeowner there. The development is far from complete, but Beazer continues to build. Originally, Beazer was only building in half of Springmill as Traditional homes out of Little River, SC was building in the Aberdeen section with about six models and the Somerset section was for custom 2400 sq ft homes by any builder.
The homes in Aberdeen section are mostly in the mid $300, 000 range and the Somerset section the lots were around $100,000. You perchase a lot and sit on it in Somerset, but Aberdeen was house and lot combination package.
This January, though, Beazer has taken over the Aberdeen section and will be building their higher end homes in there. Don't know the price point, but the deeds in that section are for a minimum of 1800 sq ft to 2400 sq ft.
The story is too involved to explain hers, but suffice it to say that Beazer is guaranteeing the bank a take down of 36 home sites a year. Traditional could not do that and lost out.
I have heard a lot complaints about the Beazer homes. They put a completed shell one up in about 5 weeks time or less! The interior has little wood trim around windows and door ways. It is all drywall. On the other hand Traditional builds an excellent quality house with many standard upgrades included, which is why I selected them. the price point is definitely a lot higher.
I can't tell you what the HOA cost is as I have not got the monthly bill yet. It has gone up recently, though.
The neighborhood location is outstanding in my opinion.
Do your homework on these national builders. They are profit driven, not quality driven like a local builder may be. Talk to as many residents as you find in any of the developments. They usually like to talk. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 10,073 times
Thumbs up Springmill Plantation and Beazer

Hi beachbumming, Well, like anything.. how much do you want to invest? If you want to invest $300,000 plus in a retirement home or any home in the area, yes, you will get more architectural features and upgrades. We have lived in Spring Mill since 2008 when there were only about ten homes built. It was a little concerning relative to how the community would progress, given the economy, but thankfully, Beazer continued to build while many other builders overextended themselves and didn’t make it. There are about 80 homes here now. We have a nice clubhouse and pool. We are getting more activities and social functions going that people are enjoying. We live in the Berkshire section, and we have the greatest neighbors by far. There are a few young families, but the majority of people are recently retired or soon to retire. We are happy with our home. We have crown molding, chair rail and other features and you can have all the extras you desire. It's what is important to you. So, order those extras on your home or hire an independent to install some extras after you are the owner (often a much more economical way to go). As golfer said, the location is great, quiet here but close to everything you would want….. wonderful beaches, golf (courses at each entrance), lots of shopping, amusements for when the grandkids visit, theaters/shows etc. There’s something for everyone. The POA fees are very, very, reasonable compared to many other places we looked. Call the office on site and ask. The Village of Calabash is a fun little resort town with lots of restaurants, gift shops and other services. We have grocers and pharmacies within a mile or two. Yes, we are happy with our community and our Beazer home. Come see for yourself. Drive in the beautiful entranceway. Neighbors will be in the streets to greet you and answer any questions you have. Just stop when you drive through and talk to them. I think you will find a lot of positive feedback. Good luck with your research and “come on down.”

Last edited by h20andsun; 03-28-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 9,808 times
We have a home in the Aberdeen section built by Traditional. We are sorry they left. Yes, the cost was more than Beazer, but the included amenities were well worth it: 11 foot ceilings, crown molding through-out, transom windows, brick/stone fronts, irrigation systems, landscaping around the entire house, finished garages, and the personal touch not offered by national builders.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 18,688 times
I have been reading the posts by Homeowners and possible Homeowners, I am one of the "possible Homeowners. I enjoyed reading your feedback, as we have been coming down to NC for many years, and visited Springmill when there was only their Trailer (Sales Office).
My Wife and I were considering the Kennesaw Model, and were trying to get some info on what the Utilities run a Month, ex. Electric, Water, Sewer and any other info would be great. I was glad to hear that many of the owners are Retirees, as I am also, and trying to get my Wife to become one.
Again, it was good to read your posts on the Community.

Ray

Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 8,839 times
Default Beazer/Traditional

My wife and I are headed to Sunset Beach for Vacation in August. We plan on looking at Spring Mill Plantation for a retirement home. My wife was down in March and liked the homes there, especially the Valleydale. I have been reading these forums concerning the builders, hear alot of good things about Traditional, are they still building in Spring Mill? Has Beazer taken over all the building in Spring Mill, any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 AM

2 posts, read 18,688 times
It is my understanding that Tradition no longer is in that Community and that Beazer has taken over that site. I don't know if you can still buy a lot, and have another Builder come in.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 7,258 times
Default Spring Mill Plantation- I love my neighborhood!

I moved to Spring Mill Plantation in 2010. I was the first house on my street and we have really progressed. We have ajust under 200 homes here now and are around our half way built out point. The HOA fee is currently $76 a month. That covers the club house, the pool, common ground and 64 cheannels of basic cable through ATMC. We have a very active social club. We have a wine of the month club, fitness every Mon, Wed, and Fri. We have a book club. we have canasta and majong and many other activities. Our community is spacious, clean, and beautiful! We have lots from .2 up to 1/3 an acre. We are conviently located between Meadowlands Golf Course and Farmstead Golf Course. I have lived here for just over 3 years now and this past May I actually came to work for the community. If you need any further information feel free to contact me. [EMAIL="L_Aurilia@yahoo.com"]L_Aurilia@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,963 times
Great people and a good location, but the quality of construction was poor and still can't get the problems fixed or a call back for the repairs to be made which were promised at time of closing. Do you research, check blogs on what others have to say and save yourself the aggravation.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,276 times
Are there single people living in springmill plantation? Also is there a nice place to stay when coming down to visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina