Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
How would that relate to the economy of a bedroom community when it sounds like the town is run down and there are so many abandoned properties? Bedroom communities are usually the pride of an area, well kept, where people want to be outside of a city.

If it is or was such a quant town with a pretty harbor etc., I'd think real estate would be a good investment. ? At least a nice retirement area with small shops etc. I've also read that Greenville NC has many shabby areas and crime is on the upswing there. What's going on ?
Maybe people just really love the white chili dogs at Bill's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Person View Post
Little Washington does have a cluster of shops and resturants around the waterfront. When we rode thought in the fall there were several blocks, and on that Saturday there was a lot of foot traffic. The waterfront is beautiful and affordable, and can see the appeal of that part of Washington. A trip to Greenville once a week or two would keep the pantry stocked, and so forth.
If you want to make a living as a farmer, you have to have a level of drive and determination that for the most part this generation does not have. I know from firsthand experience. And the lack of respect that farmers are giving is very disappointing, my family works extremely hard, and follows organic practices, conservation etc. But it takes a special kind of individuals to do this, and they are sadly not around these days. Hope they comeback before we are exporting all of our food supply. Because on that day, our nation will be at the complete control of someone else, and we will be in deep trouble. That food is not grown in the back of the store, like many people believe.
First of all, God bless you and your family. I agree with what you've said, and since I LOVE to eat, I I think farming is wonderful!

I think farming could, and should, be encouraged. I think more people would farm if it were encouraged as a viable career option--especially here in NC where land is cheap and plentiful. I think vocations get FAR too little emphasis--everything is focused on making everybody "college bound". And even for those going to college, schools could beef up agricultural progams and make them more attractive.

But, as another poster said, I don't think the "powers that be" are interested in this. Companies like ADM and Monsanto have it set up just how they like it. Farming has basically been "outsourced". It would take a WHOLE lot to get it back--think about the likelihood of manufacturing/textile jobs returning.

Sometimes I wonder what will become of us.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
When we rode thru the area between the Outer Banks and Washington, there were huge farms with acres of cotton plants. But they were harvested by one man in a giant machine, so that doesn't generate many jobs.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:21 PM

101 posts, read 227,047 times
Don't get me started on Monsanto. As far as one man picking cotton, there is a whole lot of work that went on before he was alone picking the cotton. My family usually works 80 hour weeks and the hired people are there for at least 60 of those hours.
The public has to learn the value of food, and be willing to pay the price needed to make farming a viable business. We are willing to pay large sums of money for jeans that say "Juicy" on the rear. But not pay a proper amount so a farmer can survive, to feed you.
Farmers are like Rodney Dangerfield they don't get no respect.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Person View Post
Don't get me started on Monsanto. As far as one man picking cotton, there is a whole lot of work that went on before he was alone picking the cotton. My family usually works 80 hour weeks and the hired people are there for at least 60 of those hours.
The public has to learn the value of food, and be willing to pay the price needed to make farming a viable business. We are willing to pay large sums of money for jeans that say "Juicy" on the rear. But not pay a proper amount so a farmer can survive, to feed you.
Farmers are like Rodney Dangerfield they don't get no respect.
It's not just food. It's the "Wal-Mart"-ization of the country. At some level, you can't really BLAME folks for trying to stretch their dollars. Times are hard. But the sad fact is, as we shop for cheaper and cheaper goods, more than likely made in China or some other foreign country, we are aiding in the outsourcing of US jobs. It's an ugly circle, and I fear that we have pretty outsourced our well-being. I'm pretty pessimistic that we can turn this thing around, to be honest.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 PM

Oh, one more thing--I don't think Washington is a "bedroom community". When I think of a bedroom community, I think of Cary (in the Triangle), or even Winterville--a place that builds a bunch of shiny new McMansions for commuters who work nearby to escape the "rat race" of the bigger city where they work. There's PLENTY of land in Greenville and Pitt County, as far as I can tell--there's really no need for a "bedroom community".

Lithuania--I've been ALL OVER Washington, definitely off the beaten path. I found "Washington Park" to be quaint and cute (a different town from Washington, I believe) but Washington--based on what I've seen, I feel differently.

I also didn't know Greenville had a lot of crime, as another poster said, until I started working down that way. That was a shocker. I always imagined it to be a quiet, southern "Mayberry-meets-College Town"-type place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina