Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times

Advertisements

I have some family coming in from South Dakota next week. The father is interested in touring an old aircraft carrier in North Carolina. Does anyone know of any???

I was thinking the USS Battleship at Wilmington, but to be honest with you, I have NO CLUE what it is.

Help? lol

Thanks ya'll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 08:36 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
No carriers that I'm aware of, only the battleship memorial in Wilmington. The only aircraft carrier museum on the east coast I know of is the U.S.S. Intrepid in New York City, but it's closed to the public until the Fall of 2008.

USS North Carolina Battleship Memorial (http://www.battleshipnc.com/index.html - broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 07-23-2007 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 09:19 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
I have some family coming in from South Dakota next week. The father is interested in touring an old aircraft carrier in North Carolina. Does anyone know of any???

I was thinking the USS Battleship at Wilmington, but to be honest with you, I have NO CLUE what it is.

Help? lol

Thanks ya'll!
The USS North Carolina is the battleship in Wilmington. It is a WWII battleship. After it was decommissioned it was slated to be turned into scrap metal but people around the state donated money to have it brought to NC and restored. While this is a battleship it does have 1 or 2 old WWII planes on the deck. I'm not sure if they were launched from the deck of the USS NC or if they were added later for historical purposes. ??

BTW, if you visit in the summer time it is VERY HOT. Yes they have some AC but you get inside all that metal and it's a little oppressive IMO. Go early in the AM to avoid the heat. But it gives you an appreciation for the conditions of sailors in WWII. I'm too claustrophobic... I would have NEVER made it.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
The USS North Carolina is the battleship in Wilmington. It is a WWII battleship. After it was decommissioned it was slated to be turned into scrap metal but people around the state donated money to have it brought to NC and restored. While this is a battleship it does have 1 or 2 old WWII planes on the deck. I'm not sure if they were launched from the deck of the USS NC or if they were added later for historical purposes. ??

BTW, if you visit in the summer time it is VERY HOT. Yes they have some AC but you get inside all that metal and it's a little oppressive IMO. Go early in the AM to avoid the heat. But it gives you an appreciation for the conditions of sailors in WWII. I'm too claustrophobic... I would have NEVER made it.
I still remember the fund raising effort to buy the battleship. In my elementary school they asked for a nickle from each kid and in return we were given an admission ticket to be used in the future. This was 47 years ago.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:51 PM

120 posts, read 631,469 times
Default re

There used to be an aircraft carrier at Patriots Point in South Carolina which is around Charleston. USS Yorktown I think. If it's still there, it'd be your best bet and closest.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakenthesun22 View Post
There used to be an aircraft carrier at Patriots Point in South Carolina which is around Charleston. USS Yorktown I think. If it's still there, it'd be your best bet and closest.
You're right. I forgot about that one.

Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum - Charleston Harbor, SC

Old 07-24-2007, 04:32 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH everyone! You have been a big help!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 AM

90 posts, read 163,610 times
Patriot's Point is well worth the time and money. We visited there earlier this year. Plan on spending about 4 hours! Have fun.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:12 PM

445 posts, read 1,858,944 times
In case that's too far away, I think there is a paratrooper museum near Ft. Bragg. I have not been but some friends went and thought it was great.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 AM

10 posts, read 80,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrank2109 View Post
In case that's too far away, I think there is a paratrooper museum near Ft. Bragg. I have not been but some friends went and thought it was great.

There are two very good military museums in and around Fort Bragg... The paratroopers museum that is off base is better in my opinion... If you are going to the museum on base, don't pack alot of extra stuff in your car, because all cars (that don't have approved stickers) are search prior to entering the base.. takes about extra 10 minutes but worth the wait..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina