Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:46 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,538 times

Advertisements

Well he certainly asserted a number of things as if they were true, but I didn't hear him identify any sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
mod note:

Quote:
All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.
Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,068 times
My wife wanted me to look in N.C for places to live, she has relatives in Raleigh, so I figured Greenville would be far enough away and I've heard good things about Greenville from a friend that moved there last year. I don't get the crime everyone is talking about, unless some stats are missing. Wilmington,DE had 30 murders last year and about 25 in 08.
Wilmington has about 73,000 residents. Chester,PA is like a warzone with only 30,000 people living there. Is there some stats I'm missing, I just don't see Greenville as all that bad. Maybe crime down south is different. I don't live there so take that into consideration before ripping me.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:30 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
My wife wanted me to look in N.C for places to live, she has relatives in Raleigh, so I figured Greenville would be far enough away and I've heard good things about Greenville from a friend that moved there last year. I don't get the crime everyone is talking about, unless some stats are missing. Wilmington,DE had 30 murders last year and about 25 in 08.
Wilmington has about 73,000 residents. Chester,PA is like a warzone with only 30,000 people living there. Is there some stats I'm missing, I just don't see Greenville as all that bad. Maybe crime down south is different. I don't live there so take that into consideration before ripping me.
The Greenville police chief has established a system of making it difficult for victims of crime to receive cooperation from GDP. The burden of proof seems to now lie with the victim, as the police will make marginal if any effort to investigate a crime reported. e.g.: My friend had her purse stolen. She reported it. The police asked her if she could prove she had a purse to begin with. My friend tried to get the video tapes of the guy using her card at two different places. The GDP would not even do such a simple thing as that. Such crimes do not get officially recorded as crimes, instead they are reported as "suspicious activity." If you're house gets broken into, do not expect so much as fingerprinting. They will give you the report you need for insurance. The GPD does a lot of paperwork now, rather than patrol. I imagine places like Wilmington, Delaware have the gull to to report crimes as actual crimes. If I had to give credit to Chief Anderson for anything it would for his interest in catching large scale drug dealers. What he doesn't understand is if they don't patrol and address the petty crime, they only make everything worse, including the drug dealing. The police have to constantly badger the criminals from every angle if they want to control crime. That's what helped clean up NYC. Here in Greenville, the city and police department are far more worried about liability in being accussed of racial profiling and such. Greenville is by no means a war zone, but you do have to beware of your surroundings and be careful how you interact with someone if you should happen into even an insignificant confrontation. As a growing town and a college town Greenville has issues with blending change with old southern traditions. At times it's almost unnatural.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Is there some stats I'm missing, I just don't see Greenville as all that bad. Maybe crime down south is different. I don't live there so take that into consideration before ripping me.
I believe it all comes down to perception. The local TV stations sensationalize every little crime that occurs here. They start every news show with 5 minutes of crime reports. When you have that thrown in your face, day after day after day, you will naturally think there is a huge problem here.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I believe it all comes down to perception. The local TV stations sensationalize every little crime that occurs here. They start every news show with 5 minutes of crime reports. When you have that thrown in your face, day after day after day, you will naturally think there is a huge problem here.
The lack of other events and the need to fill airtime makes a deadly combo. No pun intended.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
I've never felt unsafe in Greenville. Never even thought about it as a crime-infested area. I'm sure it has its "bad" neighborhoods just like any other city, but overall it always seemed pretty safe to me.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The lack of other events and the need to fill airtime makes a deadly combo. No pun intended.
There are tons of other things they could lead with.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:26 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There are tons of other things they could lead with.
I agree. ENC is a large area. But something tells me they don't have the money to have a good investigation team. And it is easier to lead with the blood. Heck, my "one man band" can put out news better than they can.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,246 times
I used to work in news in the eastern part of the state. I used to produce a newscast. Now granted, this was nearly ten years ago; however, I had a TOUGH time filling my newscast. I would really be STRUGGLING to find enough news to fill the entire 30 minutes. I remember having days with nearly ten empty minutes. There just wasn't enough going on. Now I am learning that some stations are adding extra newscasts. Unless the area has absolutely EXPLODED since I left, I am boggled as to what they are putting on the news.

So to back up what MrBojangles has said, yes, crime is seen as "sexy", gives the appearance of being on top of breaking news. Also, it is frowned upon to get "scooped" on a story--if one station covers a gory murder, and your station doesn't. The station that covers the event may even run promos pumping the fact that "We brought you the EXCLUSIVE story of blah blah blah. News Channel 77--Keeping You Safe". There's a lot of nonsense that goes on at news stations in terms of what stories are covered, and which are not. Also, at the station I worked at, consultants got up in the mix and made things even dumber, in my opinion. And stations in that area are notoriously cheap. If the reporters are making $25,000 a year, I would be SHOCKED. They made about $20,000 ten years ago.

So to sum it up: there are a whole things they could lead with--but they won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina