Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,063 times

Advertisements

I always said that once my children grew up and moved on it was going to my time to do what I want to do. And with that being said...I have always wanted to live close to the beach. Here lately every time I see a movie, commercial or anything with the ocean I feel that tug on my heart strings. There are no jobs here in Alamance County and I am in the foreclosure process because of it. Think it is time for me to make a new beginning and follow my heart.

I don't even know where to begin looking for jobs along the coast much less the names of the cities along the coast (with a few exceptions). I have done some minimal IT work, customer service work and Medical Secretary work in a Hospital setting.

Anyone have any suggestions on cities, websites or job boards that I can look at jobs? Maybe county jobs or hospital jobs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:36 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,169,505 times
I'd suggest looking at a general board like Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com or Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com for the cities of Jacksonville, Wilmington and Morehead City. You should specify some jobs skill to get you an idea of who is hiring. The first two cities have hospitals which you can find with google, and their web sites probably have job sections. Of course, with summer approaching, there will be hospitality jobs at motels and restaurants, but you may have to apply in person.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:01 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,916,632 times
though Greenville isn't exactly on the coast I'd focus your job search on Greenville, south to the border.

From the info you offered in your post, I feel the communities between New Bern going down 70 to Morehead City, then 24 to Jacksonville and New Bern going down 17 to Jacksonville, even on in to Wilmington, would be your prime job search area. This is due to the high number of retirees, and government jobs. USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site
Employment Opportunities (http://www.mccscherrypoint.com/employment.htm - broken link)
Marine Corps Community Services, Camp Lejeune: Job Announcements

There's also a job fair coming up for childcare providers and you don't need NC credentials to work on base and starting pay is around $11 which is a lot on the coast and more than enough for a single person who is not living in Wilmington.
http://www.mccslejeune.com/jobs/CYTP%20Job%20Fair%202011%20Half%20Flyer%20Final.pd f (broken link)

edit: additional advice would be to look at online classifieds for newspapers in the area. A lot of local businesses only advertise opening in the classifieds.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:47 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,169,505 times
Macjr82 has some good suggestions. Camp Lejeune has several new buildings going up, and the area seems to be growing. We are moving to Sneads Ferry, where new houses are selling. Fortunately, we are retired and don't have to look for jobs. If I were looking for a job, I'd look for something supporting the summer housing business, such as managing the rentals or even cleaning out houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina