Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 PM

30 posts, read 83,288 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Wilmington for going on five years, and have tried to stick my nose into the news as frequently as I do national and international news. I've seen most of the town (not that it's a big town as far as area), but only recently started checking out the neighborhoods and suburbs. With my lease ending in a few months, it's time to start looking hard at whether I'm going to stay, and a large part of that is how rosy Wilmington's future is. Downtown renewel projects and expansion, bringing in companies, building new neighborhoods etc... What's your take on Wilmington's short- and long-term future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 07:27 AM

11 posts, read 20,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Guy View Post
I've lived in Wilmington for going on five years, and have tried to stick my nose into the news as frequently as I do national and international news. I've seen most of the town (not that it's a big town as far as area), but only recently started checking out the neighborhoods and suburbs. With my lease ending in a few months, it's time to start looking hard at whether I'm going to stay, and a large part of that is how rosy Wilmington's future is. Downtown renewel projects and expansion, bringing in companies, building new neighborhoods etc... What's your take on Wilmington's short- and long-term future?
Hi - your May posting caught my attention this morning and I have a couple questions if you're willing?

We're moving down from Minneapolis and have visited Wilmington 3 times the past couple years. Lots to like but each time we visit the downtown seems a bit more depressed. Is my impression off? What are you favorite areas? Fyi we're mid 50s, self employed, active, healthy, etc. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:44 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,640 times
Wilmington has LOADS of potential. It just needs to be capitalized on.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:54 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,515 times
The future of Wilmington has been, and will also be, a destination for tourist and rich retirees from the North.

Pretty much everything in the town caters to tourists and retirees.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
The future of Wilmington has been, and will also be, a destination for tourist and rich retirees from the North.

Pretty much everything in the town caters to tourists and retirees.
i think that's an exaggeration. does wilmington have a disproportionately large number of tourists and retirees? yes. but it is not somewhere like hilton head or myrtle beach. We do have some employers , like Corning, GE, UNCW, and the State port. We have a decent little downtown, and I'm very happy with the range of small locally owned businesses we have.

you might not get rich in wilmington , you might have to be a skilled, top-notch candidate to land a decent job, but it's not just tourists and retirees.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Guy View Post
Downtown renewel projects and expansion, bringing in companies, building new neighborhoods etc... What's your take on Wilmington's short- and long-term future?
the biggest thing that is holding wilmington back is the lack of major grocery store in the downtown CBD.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 AM

50 posts, read 119,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
We do have some employers , like Corning, GE, UNCW, and the State port.
and ppd

Old 07-18-2011, 06:16 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Quote:
the biggest thing that is holding wilmington back is the lack of major grocery store in the downtown CBD.
This makes so much sense - I saw a change in St. Petersburg, FL when a grocery store opened right downtown. People were very excited, it was funny!

Carolina Farmin' is about to open, but it's not right downtown. Not walkable for the downtown people, but close - Market and 21st, behind Port City Java. Can't wait for this one, should be really good.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 AM

yeah they keep talking about "Opening a grocery store downtown!"

then they do it on 21st street.....

Last edited by le roi; 07-18-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 PM

76 posts, read 162,053 times
Quote:
yeah they keep talking about "Opening a grocery store downtown!"

then they do it on 21st street.....
We could definitely use a small serviceable grocery store in the downtown area! A small Publix would be really nice.............lol.....

Although I am excited to see Carolina Farmin too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina