Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 PM

14 posts, read 61,618 times

Advertisements

Where/How is the best place to meet people in New Bern?

My husband and I moved here recently and haven't met anyone yet...I'd love to meet new people/couples, but not sure exactly where to go, and we're not into the bar scene...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,626,279 times
If you are into the outdoors ie hiking and such, check out the New Bern Outdoor Adventure Club or if into kayaking check out the twin rivers kayaking club. If you got a dog, come and join the dog park at Glenbernie park. Just a few suggestions there.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 PM

720 posts, read 1,712,560 times
My daughter moved an hour away, and she joined a mother's group(DGS is 2 1/2), she and her husband joined a running group and the local ski club, DD also joined the YMCA and swims laps several times a week. She also started getting seriously into saving/coupon clipping and put a page up on FaceBook and has followers!!
She also works part-time and sporadically attends church.
In this way, she has met many like-minded people with the same interests.
New Bern has amateur acting groups, fishing, boating, and many groups who quilt, make items for the hospital patients, etc.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:11 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,760,058 times
I am sure most will disagree but we have been in NB for four years and it seems that either you are in a group or you are not, and if not, everyone is waiting to be asked to join a group.

I recommend you get outside your comfort zone and introduce yourself to folks that seem to be your kind of people.

The Saturday Morning Farmers market is a perfect place to strike up a conversation. The new bike shop, Atomic Cycles, hosts a series of bike rides during the week. They have A, B, C, and D groups so if you are the least bit fit, that should work. I think there is a big art thing this weekend, too, again, just start talking. Bikers are in town, too, if that is your thing. Oh, another great deal, thought not in New Bern, is the Inland Outfitters, up in Washington. They sponsor a lot of kayak deals, including full moon night yakking from time to time. You might get lucky and find some New Bern folks up there, too.

If you fish there are a number of fishing groups that are very active, and as already mentioned the twin rivers *** club, is pretty much world class and very inviting.

You did not say where you live but all the historic areas have groups and the overall New Bern Preservation Council, or whatever, is there, too. Maybe go on the ghost walk (if you are desperate) you might meet someone there.

My wife has met many folks and is in TOO DANG MANY GROUPS at our church, but I realize that is not for everyone.

Good luck, if you don't have kids I do think it takes some effort to meet people in New Bern.

lln

Old 05-20-2011, 11:02 AM

Poodlecamper -

I love to coupon, but am a newbie at it. What is your daughter's site on Facebook?

I do not have any children, so can't really meet people that way. We have attended church a few times, but we are thinking of attending another church because the one we went to doesn't seem to have people our age. We are in our late 20s/early 30s.

We actually live outside of New Bern close to Jasper/Cove City area. But go to New Bern often.

We love to fish and do have a dog. So, trlhiker, we might have to visit the dog park!

Thank you all for the ideas!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:06 AM

I have danced all my life as well...Does anyone know of any dance classes for adults?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:15 AM

I received an email about shag classes that are starting in the area--the video looked like fun---I'll look up the info and get back to you

Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 AM

Ok, I'm back. DH and I own a lot in Fairfield Harbour in New Bern, so I sometimes know what's going on there. I received an email for the shag lessons--here's the website: Online Shag Dance Lessons | Shag Dance Steps, Shag Lessons and Shag Dancing Videos
My daughter's site on FaceBook is kind of specific to her area in CT, so don't know if it will be what you're looking for, but on FaceBook the name of it is Shoreline Savers.
Take heart, just figure out what really interests you and I think you'll both find people to hang with.
Carol

Old 06-16-2011, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,043 times
Smile New Bern newbie

I just moved down here to New Bern in May. I know a little bit about it as my sister and her husband moved here two years ago. But I am a single woman living here and there is only so much I can do with my pregnant sister and her husband who mostly hang with one another. I joined a beach volleyball league but that is a trek to Atlantic Beach. I dont mind it. Are there any other suggestions anyone has for me? I do have a dog myself... But I have been to Glenburnie park and that dog park is quite small. I have one not much smaller at my apartment complex. It is too bad there is not one that is acres big... there are soooo many dog people here!! I wonder if we could make that happen?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,760,058 times
Walk your dog around Union Point on Saturday, there are lots of people there. We frequently have ours down there and folks talk all the time. The bike shop across from the museum thing host a lot of rides, I can assure you will meet people doing that. Another good thing is the Inshore Outfitters in Washington. They have full moon night kayak events, other *** events, and bike rides. Yeah, it is 45 minutes, but I am sure that would be a great way to meet ENERGETIC people. Good Luck.

Last edited by LLN; 06-16-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina