Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 AM

291 posts, read 869,850 times

Advertisements

I didn't think the camel crickets looked bad at all! Roaches are uglier...

I have to jump in here and say a word for the lowly opossum - most people hate them and try to get rid of them - they do, however, include roaches in their diet! This was enough for me to grow to "love" them when we lived at the coast! And they are also our only North American marsupial.

I have also heard that cedar mulch around the house repels insects. We did this for ants one year and it seemed to have some success...we used regular mulch other places, but up next to the house used the cedar....

Not big on spraying with lots of chemicals...they aren't good either for us or for the environment...in my opinion!

Last edited by MTNesters; 07-21-2011 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: incorrect spelling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,177 times
Quote:
I have also heard that cedar mulch around the house repels insects. We did this for ants one year and it seemed to have some success...we used regular mulch other places, but up next to the house used the cedar....
I had cedar chips around my house when I bought it and got rid of it. The plastic beneath it was a great haven for everything.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,039 times
Thank you to all the residence of Calabash, NC. Last week my husband & I was looking & definitely going to move to Carolina Shore area, but since you all were very informational about the bugs; mostly about the palmatas I will not be moving there or anywhere in calabash. It looks like a great quaint town, but I will not be killing 1 or 20 of these bugs a year and it seem a exterminator won't work either.....

Husband is not happy, but I guess sc is looking better...

Old 04-03-2015, 05:44 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisher2 View Post
Thank you to all the residence of Calabash, NC. Last week my husband & I was looking & definitely going to move to Carolina Shore area, but since you all were very informational about the bugs; mostly about the palmatas I will not be moving there or anywhere in calabash. It looks like a great quaint town, but I will not be killing 1 or 20 of these bugs a year and it seem a exterminator won't work either.....

SC has palmetto bugs too. Its known as the palmetto state, ya know!

Btw, I live in the same county as Calabash and I don't have bugs in my house.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:55 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
It's PALMETTO - first time I ever saw one was in SC.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,016,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I didn't Google "Camel Cricket", but are those those bugs they called "Hopping Crickets"? I never had them, but a friend did. They freak me out. Like a cricket and a spider mated. ***HEEBIE JEEBIES***

Creepy - known as the spider cricket - ewwwwwww

How to Get Rid of Camel Crickets | Camel Crickets Extermination

Old 04-05-2015, 08:30 AM

353 posts, read 604,315 times
So, hurricanes, flooding, tornadoes, sweltering heat, alligators, poisonous snakes, rabies, outrageous homeowners' insurance rates aren't deterrents to moving to coastal NC, but the thought of seeing an occasional cockroach totally kills the deal?

Lol, who knew?

Old 04-05-2015, 09:19 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Quote:

There are plenty of Palmetto bugs in the Palmetto state, lol. We used to call them state birds.

I was once at a very trendy restaurant in New York City. As we were having our very expensive dinner, a palmetto bug started crawling up the wall behind my friend. I got up to dispatch it, but the restaurant people swooped in behind me and took it away. The waitress was all over herself apologizing. I said "Girl, please. That's the South Carolina state bird." We got free dessert.

Last edited by Sue at the Rock; 04-05-2015 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 06:06 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimorecolt View Post
The Calabash area looks real nice to retire. Me being from Annapolis MD, have the same type of summer weather as you all have down there hot and humid but what we don't have here is Palmata bugs. Is this a big problem there like Florida or is it something that can be controlled?

john
I bought my lot 15 year ago and visited for 7 years before retiring and moving here from ANAPLOLIS.

I've been here for 8 years now.

In all those 15 years I have heard, 'I wish I woulda', coulda' shoulda', moved here sooner" and I agree 100%

"is it something that can be controlled?" Absolutely!

Old 04-08-2015, 06:12 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:

S.C.'s is called the PALMETTO state for the PALMETTO tree. THIS is where the PALMETTO bug got it's name.

If you think you won't find them in SC you are very NAIVE.

Calabash has no more and no less then rest of the South.

They CAN be controlled.

I don't know where you live now but, I guarantee you have some sort of wildlife there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina