Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 04:18 PM

81 posts, read 197,689 times

Advertisements

Hi I am looking for a quaint country coastal town that is good for someone with children. I would like to have good schools,low crime, and clean air. Also do not want to live in a congested area, but need to be close to a hospital and medical facilities. Need a job for my hubbie too. Is there anywhere like this? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 07:03 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile You could try the area from Beaufort to Swansboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmith2240 View Post
Hi I am looking for a quaint country coastal town that is good for someone with children. I would like to have good schools,low crime, and clean air. Also do not want to live in a congested area, but need to be close to a hospital and medical facilities. Need a job for my hubbie too. Is there anywhere like this? Thanks for your help.
You can check the Carteret County Education information at this link.

As far as crime, check the Moderator cut: link removed

This link might work for you on air quality. The eight hour ozone loop is especially interesting.

We have found the air on the North Carolina coast to be much better than what we had in the Roanoke Valley of Virginia. There's nothing scientific to back me up, but I am a photographer so I pay a lot of attention to the way the air reflects light. I have gotten some great photos here (http://coastalnc.org/morningwaters - broken link).

There are hospitals in Jacksonville (very congested), Morehead City (fair amount of traffic but not really congested compared to Northern Virginia), and New Bern (not sure about the traffic there).

The Cape Carteret area is twenty minutes to Morehead City, twenty five minutes to Jacksonville, and 45 minutes to New Bern.

Cape Carteret is not congested and just across the bridge from the beaches of Emerald Isle. The whole area is like a series of small towns, but it is a year round community.

Here are pictures of the area around the town hall when we went to the town's 48th birthday party where the mayor cooked hamburgers for everyone that showed up.

No area is perfect, and I strongly suggest you take a few days to drive through the Carolina coast areas to see what feels right to you.

Each area has its own personality, and many of them are very neat.

Finding a job for your husband could be a challenge depending on his expertise. Jobs are more plentiful near Wilmington, but traffic and other city things increase as you get close to there.

If I can answer area questions, just get in touch with me. I like where I live but there are plenty of other great areas on the coast.

Swansboro is about as quaint as it gets.

-David Sobotta

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: Missed a link

Old 08-20-2007, 11:25 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmith2240 View Post
My niece lives in Beaufort (other side of Moorhead). Quaint, but getting busier and more expensive all the time. She has three kids and seems to like it.
You might check out New Bern. Not as congested and doesn't feel as land locked as you can further into the coast. Access to water and a good hospital.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:50 PM

81 posts, read 197,689 times
Thank you for your replies. I would like to venture that way maybe in december. Anyone know how long it would take to drive from southeast florida? Thanks

Old 08-26-2007, 08:21 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Depending on exactly where you are coming from it is at or over 800 miles. Better give yourself 14 hours at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina