Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,173 times

Advertisements

I am taking a sales job that will relocate me from Atlanta to a territory in Eastern N.C. I am a 24 year old single male. I'm very active, looking for a neighborhood similar to Virginia Highlands in Atlanta. Somewhere that I could walk to restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc. I've been considering Wilmington because I'm interested in living near the beach (kite boarding, surfing), but most people that I have talked to have told me that I would prefer Charlotte.

Factors that will effect my decision:

-Location, able to walk to shops, bars, restaurants. Close to highways (I will be traveling a lot)
-Young and fun population.
-Outdoor activities. Mtn biking, running, surfing, kite boarding, kayaking, intramural sports, crossfit
-Nightlife. Bars, pubs, clubs, college bars.
-Price. Would like to find a 1 bedroom studio apartment or small house for around $700 a month. not really interested in big apartment complexes.

I will be going to visit both cities and then start looking for an apartment. So if anyone has any advice on which city may be better or any ideas on neighborhoods that I could start looking into I would really appreciate it.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
If you are coming from Atlanta you might consider Wilmigton a snoozefest. It is ALOT smaller than Atlanta. It does not have the good shopping, dining, or other amenities like Atlanta. I think Charlotte would be a better fit. However, if you are seeking a slower pace of life and are ok with not having the amenities I mentioned than you may like Wilmington.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 4,161 times
I would say right on the slower pace, however there is plenty of places to eat and shop and pricing is great!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:58 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I agree that Charlotte is more like Atlanta--but don't discount Wilmington just yet---there is a small but lively downtown, on the river, and lots of college students from UNC-W in the area...many of whom rent at or near the beach and great bars for meeting same.

NC coastal beaches are awesome-no such thing in Charlotte! Wilmington is a tourist destination, so the perks with that-water activities, restaurants are good-plus Interstate 40 is right there for you.

I love Charlotte, even lived there, but for a younger guy...I go with the coast!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:06 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
OP, I hope you realize Charlotte is NOT in eastern NC. But I assume it's close enough for you since you mention it.

I like both cities, but as others have mentioned, Charlotte will have a LOT more attributes similar to Atlanta than will Wilmington. If you're looking for a city similar to Atlanta, IMO Charlotte is as close as you'll get in the Carolinas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina