Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,048 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Asheville. My husband was offered a position in Buxton starting in January. He will be going by himself since the kids are still in school and he will come home when possible.

We have never been to the area and thus have no idea where to look for housing. He would only need a small efficiency.

Looking on Craigslist I found tons in other areas but not much in Buxton. Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Also is there grocery stores etc. in Buxton?

Thank you in advance.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 AM

79 posts, read 318,531 times
It's a pretty isolated part of the Outer Banks,but a great place to live if you enjoy a small town atmosphere and love the outdoors.Winters are dead for the most part,but there's plenty of people and beautiful weather spring through fall.Coastal storms can wreak havoc on the barrier island and disrupt your normal life for weeks at a time,as it did during Hurricane Irene.

There's a Conner's grocery store in Buxton and a Food Lion in Avon,but the businesses in the area are mostly small and independently owned.

Craigslist and the local newspaper is your best source for long term housing.Keep looking,you'll find something.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:57 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melfleming1 View Post
He would only need a small efficiency.
I would also check the motels for ones with kitchen units.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melfleming1 View Post
We currently live in Asheville. My husband was offered a position in Buxton starting in January. He will be going by himself since the kids are still in school and he will come home when possible.

We have never been to the area and thus have no idea where to look for housing. He would only need a small efficiency.

Looking on Craigslist I found tons in other areas but not much in Buxton. Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Also is there grocery stores etc. in Buxton?

Thank you in advance.

Melissa
Being in Buxton, he could look anywhere from Avon to Hatteras. I am not sure how the tri-town are since Irene. But those four town are close enough, especially during the winter, that he could probably find something. I would also try calling some of the real estate companies around there. They may not have something they normally rent, but ya never know who or what they know. Being this is the lull in the year.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,048 times
Many thanks to everyone. We will keep looking and check out some of the real estate companies. I appreciate the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina