Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM

869 posts, read 1,499,963 times

Advertisements

Some background. I grew up on the coast in Swansboro. I loved my teenage years and for personal reasons I had to move away when I was 19. I met my husband and we started a family. We currently live in NJ. We come home a couple times a year for Christmas and we rent a beachfront property in Emerald Isle for 4th of July week. But we would really like to move there permanantly. My husband absolutely loves it there, and my family is there.

So- now the important things. I am about to graduate with a AAS in Addictions Counseling, but am not certified yet but would like to. I would need to get a job in order to do certification hours and also help support my family. We have a 4 year old son who will be going to Prek this fall. My husband is a journey outfitter at a shipyard. He outfits ships with pipes and tests pipe and does some limited welding.

We have been looking online for some time for something that fits his credentials, he is the breadwinner for our family and my job will supplement. Perhaps we are missing something...I know that the area has high unemployment but perhaps there is somewhere else I need to be looking for job listings other than the national job search websites. We are looking in Wilmington, Morehead, New Bern, Kinston, Jacksonville and surrounding areas. And other areas in that general location. Perhaps you guys can offer some insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM

13,394 posts, read 27,265,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
He outfits ships with pipes and tests pipe and does some limited welding......
Perhaps you guys can offer some insight?
I do not know of any shipyards other than the Federal government in the Hampton Roads area. Has he tried USAJOBS - The Federal Government’s Official Jobs Site ?

For addiction counseling, I suggest the Brynn Marr hospital in Jacksonville.

Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM

10,731 posts, read 22,915,071 times
If he is a shipbuilder, then of course you'll need to look at there the shipyards are, and contact their HR departments about jobs. Morehad is a large port, but do they actually BUILD ships there?

Somewhere like Virginia Beach (huge navy presence) might be better? That wouldn't be too far from the areas you're looking at.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 AM

869 posts, read 1,499,963 times
He does build ships but he isnt actually a shipbuilder thats another trade. He outfits ships, which is basically a ship plumber. He lays and fits all the internal plumbing and piping and fire foam systems and things. So actually working at a shipyard isnt actually necessary although he would like to work with marine vessels if possible. Im not too familiar with Hampton Roads which is where the shipyard there is but DH lived there when his dad was stationed there in the navy and he didnt like it, but that may have changed. The other problem is that we dont have any family or friends in that area, and honestly moving where you know noone is scary.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM

13,394 posts, read 27,265,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
He does build ships but he isnt actually a shipbuilder thats another trade. He outfits ships, which is basically a ship plumber.
Other than Hampton/Newport News, I could suggest Charleston for another large Navy ship building site.

If his skills would transfer to plumbing in the nuclear power industry, there is a nuclear plant in Brunswick County.

Otherwise there are small boat-building businesses in New Bern, and maybe Havelock and Morehead City.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,050,061 times
As you know, Swansboro is in Onslow County. Currently Onslow County has the second lowest unemployment rate along all of coastal NC at 9.2% well below the state average of 10.5%. There is a lot of business activity going on in Onslow. They just had a big business expo a few days ago: Exhibitors, patrons turn out for 20th Business Expo | jacksonville, expo, business - News Source for Jacksonville, North Carolina - jdnews.com

I'd bookmark the Jacksonville Daily News and the Carteret News Times. Check the job listings and keep up to date of all that's going on. Carteret County News-Times > News-times > Front (http://www.carteretnewstimes.com/news-times/front/ - broken link)

I'd also recommend the NC Employment Security Commission's web site. You can check out all of the job listings on a county by county, region by region basis. https://www.ncesc.com/default.aspx

Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 PM

107 posts, read 258,445 times
Hatteras yachts in new bern may need talent like his....look them up online...I sold a guy a hrome who works there and I could ask him if you like.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:48 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,928,541 times
Not sure what if there hiring, but back when I was growing up in the area Hatteras Yachts was a big employer. Not sure how the economic downturn has affected them, but they are still in business.

GT | Sportfishing Convertibles | Motor Yachts | Hatteras Yachts

edit: I guess I should've read the whole thread before responding. Looks like my suggestion has already been suggested.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,784,105 times
Hatteras has increased its workforce from a low of in the 100's to almost 500. The CABO line is apparently really helping them out here in New Bern. You might try their, though I suspect they are re-hiring the many they had to lay off, as a priority. If you don't try, you wont know.

The New Bern hospital is getting bigger and bigger, you might find work there.

Good Luck.
lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina