Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 06:49 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times

Advertisements

Hi

I live in Charlotte, and wanted to go to the NC beaches to do some fishing.

I'm looking to fish for stripers or redfish...and was wondering what month, time of day, and where to fish.

thank you for the replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 10:42 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
Smile You might try Captain Tom's Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
Hi

I live in Charlotte, and wanted to go to the NC beaches to do some fishing.

I'm looking to fish for stripers or redfish...and was wondering what month, time of day, and where to fish.

thank you for the replies!
I have had some great fishing (broken link) with Captain Tom Roller of Beaufort.

At the end of Oct 2005, I had a morning of fishing with him when I caught over 50 fish, including trout, flounder, and puppy drum.

We caught puppy drum and threw them back until my arms hurt.

Captain Tom's forum is at this link.

There is a tremendous amount of information there from lots of folks.

He's a great guy to fish with, and also will recommend someone else if he is busy.

The peak fishing season has not started yet. Everyone keeps telling me it will be here soon.

We live near Cape Carteret on the White Oak River, and this will be my first season with my own skiff so I'm pretty excited.

-David Sobotta

Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
thanks for your first link 'some great fishing' was broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
I have had some great fishing (broken link) with Captain Tom Roller of Beaufort.

At the end of Oct 2005, I had a morning of fishing with him when I caught over 50 fish, including trout, flounder, and puppy drum.

We caught puppy drum and threw them back until my arms hurt.

Captain Tom's forum is at this link.

There is a tremendous amount of information there from lots of folks.

He's a great guy to fish with, and also will recommend someone else if he is busy.

The peak fishing season has not started yet. Everyone keeps telling me it will be here soon.

We live near Cape Carteret on the White Oak River, and this will be my first season with my own skiff so I'm pretty excited.

-David Sobotta

Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
Smile Sorry, try this link

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
thanks for your first link 'some great fishing' was broken
Great fishing

I shouldn't type late at night without my glasses.

-David

Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,175 times
Try this link,,,NC Coastal Fishing is the ultimate fishing resource for the nc fisherman. It cover most of the coast and Tom Roller is out of Atlantic beach which would be a long drive. Alot of good fishing alot closer further south. But Roller is good, as is Cape Lookout Charters. Another good site is NC Waterman which has a common poster on here Bill Hitchcock contributes alot, good info and Knowledge im sure he could help you out..

Old 09-12-2007, 04:16 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
Can't beat North Carolina Waterman. It's slogan is, "All of the coast. All of the time" and lives up to every word of it! The entire site is updated daily.
Bill

Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
By the way-Right now is one of the best times for the 30-50 pound class of drum (red fish) behind Ocracoke and around Cedar Island. Rememember-It is a catch and release fishery. NC has a slot size for drum of 18 to 27 inches and please use circle hooks to help prevent gut hooking.
By the way-Did you know that a 30-50 pound drum is approx. 30-50 years old?? Here is a half hour documentary on NC Red Drum I produced for the stste a few years ago: To Play The Video: Click here (broken link)

For Big stripers the best time of year is the first quarter of the year. From Cape Lookout Shoals on up to Oregon Inlet (And north).
A bit of caution-The waters off NC are the most dangerous then and the BIG stripers tend to be in some of the most dangerous areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina