Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 PM

81 posts, read 158,801 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to camp at one of the islands on Cape Lookout with a car and a tent but I've never been there and want to camp at the most secluded, quiet part of it. I'm just planning on relaxing, surf fish, campfire cook, and maybe kayak a little, and have a few beers. But other people's loud noise annoys me. Any good advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater88 View Post
I'm planning to camp at one of the islands on Cape Lookout with a car and a tent but I've never been there and want to camp at the most secluded, quiet part of it.
If you don't get another response, it because no one has been there. Since you have to get there by car ferry from Harkers Island, I suspect you won't have too much competition for spaces.

Anyway, the National Park Service has the basic information: Fees & Reservations - Cape Lookout National Seashore Here's the info on car camping: http://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/camping.htm You might need a 4-wheel drive vehicle.

An alternative to the Harkers Island ferry, there is a ferry at Atlantic (near Cedar Island) which goes to Portsmouth Island. Here you *must* have a 4-wheel drive, or they won't let you on the ferry. I would bet that's the most isolated. I am told it has plenty of mosquitoes.

Enjoy your visit.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:14 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
A lot of the seclusion has to do what and where fish are biting. This time of year sea mullet and black& red drum and bluefish. Folks will drive up and down Core Banks (The island lookout is on) looking for breaks, sloughs, mole crabs-all sorts of indications for fish. When one finds fish others tend to congregate.
If someone is out there and isn't fishing-Then generally speaking folks head towards inlets or areas with plenty of sand dunes behind the beach. Featureless, nondiscript, unfishable areas will be the most isolated. The features of places like Core Banks and Portsmouth Island will change constantly so you'll have to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina