Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM

12 posts, read 31,195 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So my wife and I (and daughter) have been on a two year quest to find the coastal east coast town/city that would best suite us. Well... Its been a challenge and we've had to alter our search criteria. The only place left to consider is Wilmington (maybe Charleston, SC) as we've traveled and ruled out a bunch of places for various reason. But the sunshine and mild winters keep us in pursuit and alas we will be visiting Wilmington in a couple of weeks. I've research the housing and job market but was wondering what suggestions one might have for places to visit in order to truly get a sense of the place. Any suggestions? Also is Wilmington hip? Coffee shops, music, diversity? Does the University have its own neighborhood spots that draws in local artist, musicians and all that good stuff? Thank you for the feedback in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:21 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,165,609 times
Default Wilmington

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvoceanlife View Post
Also is Wilmington hip? Coffee shops, music, diversity? Does the University have its own neighborhood spots that draws in local artist, musicians and all that good stuff?
It ain't Austin, if that's what you mean by hip. I see lots of retired people, and it looks very suburban. There are numerous live music spots, but I think they are downtown. Here's the link to the local newspaper's entertainment section: http://www.starnewsonline.com/section/ent06

You will have to judge for yourself.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-02-2012 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,410,784 times
go to the Satelite bar and lounge, greenfield rd.very cool bar, lots of good restaurants and other bars downtown also.

lots of music venues around but the university does not create a hub for artist and music, this you will find downtown.

wrightsville beach has a great vibe [ well, if the city council will just leave well enough alone]
a few bars, lots of young people but for some reason not really any art galleries.

also check out the amphie theatre at greenfield lake , find their schedule online or check
the penguin radio station. IMO the best radio station in the world, we lived in a much bigger city and
had nothing like the penguin. there might be a concert the weekend you are visiting.

third friday nite of the month there is a gallery crawl.

yes, there are retirees in Wilmington but it is not only a retirement destination , it is a live, active
city.

check the new outdoor art installation at cameron art museum, hopefully it will still be there
when you visit.

a good amount of live theatre can also be found in Wilmington and starting this weekend the city and the penguin radio station puts a free outdoor concert on at the courthouse steps. mostly tribute bands but hey , they bring back memories.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,801,740 times
Quote:
Also is [/font][/color]Wilmington[color=black][font=Verdana] hip? Coffee shops, music, diversity?
Yes. Hip, but not necessarily well educated or employed.

Quote:
Does the University have its own neighborhood spots that draws in local artist, musicians and all that good stuff?
No, not really. Look downtown instead.

To get a feel for the place -- I don't know, hard to say. Wilmington is like 4 or 5 little towns, rolled into one. Downtown has its own scene, Wrightsville Beach is another , midtown/UNCW is another, Carolina Beach is another.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 AM

431 posts, read 1,144,157 times
No one but you can tell if Wilmington is it. For some (like me), it's just right. Other people hate it here. I think a lot of it depends on what you're coming from/expecting/willing to change. No place is perfect.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:33 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,632,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yes. Hip, but not necessarily well educated or employed.
This is spot on. And beyond downtown and a nice little stretch of Wrightsville Ave, it's not even that hip.

To the OP: check out Savannah...

I'm probably going to move back to Durham after the summer, only negative for me is the drive to the beach. But I don't want to buy a house here, really. I love Wilmington to visit.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 PM

85 posts, read 159,997 times
You must go to Downtown Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach everything else is ****

Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 AM

12 posts, read 31,195 times
Wow. Thank you for the feedback as it was quite helpful. We come from a rural town and over the years the charm of it all has faded to inconvenience and some isolation. Its near the Berkshires and is beautiful but I think we've out grown it. Not exactly sure what "it" is but know we will feel it when we see it. Thanks again.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:35 AM

291 posts, read 871,901 times
Quote:
Wow. Thank you for the feedback as it was quite helpful. We come from a rural town and over the years the charm of it all has faded to inconvenience and some isolation. Its near the Berkshires and is beautiful but I think we've out grown it. Not exactly sure what "it" is but know we will feel it when we see it. Thanks again.

Saw where you were interested in Hampstead and Topsail schools....based on your experience as stated above, not sure you would like Hampstead....even though everything I've heard about the schools is good....you might find it a bit too rural and inconvenient there, also.... It's a great place, but definitely not for anyone desiring a "hip" or pedestrian friendly lifestyle!

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina