Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 12,703 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to NC from NY. I grew up on Long Island by the beach so I would like to be near the ocean. I am also involved with real estate so I would like to be near a area which is growing. I have 3 children and education is very important to us. What cities in NC can provide a great education, real estate opportunities, affordable housing and close proximity to the ocean. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 04:20 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
How close to the coast?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
Smile Plenty of opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpohal View Post
My family and I are considering moving to NC from NY. I grew up on Long Island by the beach so I would like to be near the ocean. I am also involved with real estate so I would like to be near a area which is growing. I have 3 children and education is very important to us. What cities in NC can provide a great education, real estate opportunities, affordable housing and close proximity to the ocean. Thanks.
There is a tremendous amount of opportunity all along the NC coast. In real estate you should be prepared to live through the tough market we are seeing right now.

It just depends on the kind of environment that you want. Wilmington is more of an urban environment. South of Wilmington, you find small towns, and east of Wilmington the area is developing very fast.

We live on the Crystal Coast (Southern Outer Banks) which is roughly Swansboro area to Beaufort with an extension to Down East. We're farther up the coast than the Wilmington area.

The Southern Outer Banks where we live has seen some very good times recently, but it is a small town environment. We love it, but that is what we wanted. Job opportunities with few exceptions are better closer to Wilmington.

There are only 65,000 permanent residents in Carteret County where we live, but the schools are rated highly.

The northern Outer Banks are completely different, very nice but you would have to find someone living out there to give you details on how it is to live there year round.

We've have been on the coast for about a year. You can read about my experiences at this site or my main Southern Outer Banks site.

We are about six miles from the beach and can be walking on the Emerald Isle beaches in ten minutes. Most people moving into the area can find something that meets their budget. We have lots of services in the area that are available year round.

We are 1.5 hours from Wilmington, 2.5 hours Raleigh-Durham, and about six hours from Northern Virginia.

There are always jobs in real estate in the paper.

I would be glad to talk in detail if you want to get in touch.

You can also check out my new Emerald Isle Travel Guide (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguide - broken link) for more local information and my Carteret County Blog for some pictures.

-David Sobotta

Old 06-13-2014, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,859 times
Hi there,

I'm looking to move from Columbus Oh, to somwhere in NC, I have NEVER visited there, I just have always heard good things about the Carolinas, But I don't know where to start, I would like to be close enough to a beach but also close enough to commute to work, I would have to find a job in the finance field as well, I don't want to buy, I would rather rent, I'm just looking to start a new life . Any ideas on where to start looking ?

Thanks

Paula

Old 06-14-2014, 07:07 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmills5872 View Post
I would like to be close enough to a beach but also close enough to commute to work, I would have to find a job in the finance field as well... Any ideas on where to start looking ?
The first step would be to explore job options in Finance at a web site like Indeed.com. The largest cities on/near the coast are Wilmington, Greenville, Jacksonville, New Bern and Morehead City. The second step would be to visit North Carolina, and see if you actually like it.

There were some recent suggestions in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ob-market.html The Castle Branch firm moving to Wilmington sounded like a possibility.

There are probably better job options in Finance in the Triangle cities (Raleigh, Durham) etc, and you are a 2-2.5 hour drive to beaches, so weekend trips are possible.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpohal View Post
Why have you chosen NC is you don't even know what cities are here? Have you ever been to the state? The area near the coast is pretty rural and small town-y.

Why NC, of all the places to move? Are you coming for a job transfer? Both Virginia and South Carolina have more cities near the coast.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmills5872 View Post
I'm looking to move from Columbus Oh, to somwhere in NC, I have NEVER visited there
First step: Come and see for yourself. Why would you even consider moving to somewhere you've never been, based on what you hear and read?

Nobody can tell you where would be best for you without knowing where you'd be working, or what field you'd be looking for work in, or whether you like mountains or beach, etc--are you aware how large a state NC is?

Come for a visit before you think about moving, and consider your work as well. Then you'll have first-and knowledge to ask more personalized, detailed questions.

How would you answer a question "I'm looking to move to somewhere in Ohio but I've never visited there--can someone tell me where I should live?"

Old 06-16-2014, 02:10 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Castle Branch is hiring in Sales right now...

CastleBranch hiring 70 through expo | Port City Daily

I'm sure they will be looking at Finance soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina